Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

bringing home baby sphynx number 2

jen925

Lairian
We have a 8 month old boy (Vincent), and we decided he needed a playmate. In 2 weeks our new kitten comes home. I am a bit worried on how Vincent will react to the new baby. I heard about keeping them separate, but we have a one bedroom apartment, and I would feel so guilty locking up either one of them in a room. . Any advice?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We have a 8 month old boy (Vincent), and we decided he needed a playmate. In 2 weeks our new kitten comes home. I am a bit worried on how Vincent will react to the new baby. I heard about keeping them separate, but we have a one bedroom apartment, and I would feel so guilty locking up either one of them in a room. . Any advice?
Congrats on your almost new addition! It's always best to separate the new kitty for a week or so to ensure he/ she doesn't bring home an illness to your existing kitty. :)
http://sphynxlair.com/community/thr...ynx-cat-or-sphynx-kitten-into-the-home.11304/

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
A new baby!! How exciting! Admin is correct about keeping them seperate, however, we are in the same situation as you. We have a small house, so seperation is very difficult to impossible. We made arrangements with our vet to take Marcus straight from the breeder to the vet on our way home. Then we set his bed and litter box in our tiny master bathroom, so we could seperate him from the 2 girls if needed. But the girls and he did pretty well together from day 1. Most adult cats don't try to hurt kittens unless there are food issues or the adult is very aggressive. If your Vincent is a fairly eaasy-going boy, he probably will hiss, growl and generally act like you have brought in an intruder, but he is still a baby himself, so he will accept the kit fairly rapidly (fingers crossed).

Yoda mom

Staff member
@jen925 , Awh! Congrats! Can't wait for gotcha day pics!
I like the pre appointment vet check visit on the way home if possible

I have separated in the bedroom bathroom for a few days- with litter box, cat tree or bed/ blankie ,food/water ..
I mixed l- lysine powder in so,vet wet food or gave L-lysine paste(though only Toby would eat the paste)

With a thumbs up vet check- I rotated them in each other's area, cross scented with a hand towel rubbing it on each kitty do putting it by their food dish - positive reinforcement :)

I played with toys with each kitty on either side of the door tossing under a few treats too.
I rotated them into each other's area and let them explore and sniff- more praise n treats
Allowed the to peek at each other they the door held and gave more treats n play with a Da bird toy

When I left the house I put a cat dancer toy on the floor on each side of the door- they actually played together with it under the door

For the big meet , I let them meet on more neutral ground, the open living Room - I used two Da bird toys to play and treats for sniffing each other nice- I did this for short periods of time and built up-
Always left ons positive note with treats n play then separated when it went to work

Each interaction time, I put treats on the ground , positive praise as they got closer to each other- in no time at all they were snacking next to each other..

I kept supervised visits and play at their comfort level- d

Some kitties are best buddies right away , some take longer-

A warm blanket from the dryer on your lap while you lays the bed also encouraged them to cuddle at the same time-
And the warm laundry plopped the bed to fold and out away is still a big hit for romping together! And changing sheets!

Is Vincent neutered yet? Is new kitty male or female?

I have 3 male adoptees ( all neutered) and a spayed female adoptee, various ages that came home different times . They are all free roaming ,sleeping together with us using the above introductions, and no peeing marking issues.

I also have recommend 2-3 litter boxes with 2 cats. scoop several times a a day to promote good litter box habits

* I gave them praise for using the litter box and an immediate treat as they came out of the box when they first came home. I still do it randomly.

In my smaller room I a planter style litter box " the good pet stuff hidden litter box" on sale sometimes for 51 and free shipping at petco.com
That they really like it.

So excited for you! I am sure Vincent will love having playmate!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 39

jen925

Lairian
Thank you all for all the great suggestions! :) I feel a better about keeping them separate. Vincent is fixed. He's a very friendly boy. I hope he will take to his new brother quickly. We have two litter boxes a bigger one and a smaller one that will be easier for our new baby to do his business. I can't wait to see them together. Heres a picture of our new baby we haven't decided on his name yet and a picture of Vincent.

Attachments

• IMG_9104.jpg
    IMG_9104.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5404.jpg
    IMG_5404.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 33

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
adorable !!! You got some great advice already . Cant wait for more pictures when the baby is coming home !!

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@jen925 , Awh! Congrats! Can't wait for gotcha day pics!
I like the pre appointment vet check visit on the way home if possible

I have separated in the bedroom bathroom for a few days- with litter box, cat tree or bed/ blankie ,food/water ..
I mixed l- lysine powder in so,vet wet food or gave L-lysine paste(though only Toby would eat the paste)

With a thumbs up vet check- I rotated them in each other's area, cross scented with a hand towel rubbing it on each kitty do putting it by their food dish - positive reinforcement :)

I played with toys with each kitty on either side of the door tossing under a few treats too.
I rotated them into each other's area and let them explore and sniff- more praise n treats
Allowed the to peek at each other they the door held and gave more treats n play with a Da bird toy

When I left the house I put a cat dancer toy on the floor on each side of the door- they actually played together with it under the door

For the big meet , I let them meet on more neutral ground, the open living Room - I used two Da bird toys to play and treats for sniffing each other nice- I did this for short periods of time and built up-
Always left ons positive note with treats n play then separated when it went to work

Each interaction time, I put treats on the ground , positive praise as they got closer to each other- in no time at all they were snacking next to each other..

I kept supervised visits and play at their comfort level- d

Some kitties are best buddies right away , some take longer-

A warm blanket from the dryer on your lap while you lays the bed also encouraged them to cuddle at the same time-
And the warm laundry plopped the bed to fold and out away is still a big hit for romping together! And changing sheets!

Is Vincent neutered yet? Is new kitty male or female?

I have 3 male adoptees ( all neutered) and a spayed female adoptee, various ages that came home different times . They are all free roaming ,sleeping together with us using the above introductions, and no peeing marking issues.

I also have recommend 2-3 litter boxes with 2 cats. scoop several times a a day to promote good litter box habits

* I gave them praise for using the litter box and an immediate treat as they came out of the box when they first came home. I still do it randomly.

In my smaller room I a planter style litter box " the good pet stuff hidden litter box" on sale sometimes for 51 and free shipping at petco.com
That they really like it.

So excited for you! I am sure Vincent will love having playmate!
You gave great advise...you covered everything !:)

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congratulations on your new baby, I also got a new little boy yesterday, he's 14 weeks old & my other Sphynx is 16 months :) I was a bit wary at first but all kitty's are different, we never separated the boys because my eldest Sphynx has an excellent temperament & they hit it off straight away, within 2 hours they was asleep cuddling & both slept in bed with me last night I couldn't be prouder, we just held them & let them have a sniff there was no problems so we put them both on the kitchen table & a few minutes later they was on the cat tree as if they had always been together :) I wouldn't leave them unattended just yet as I have a 9 yr old grumpy fluff ball who can be a miserable sod at times (but he's happy to sleep all day long, if the babies don't myther him he couldn't care less what they do !!!) Good luck introducing your babies to each other, I hope they get along as well as my boys have :) xxx

jen925

Lairian
We decided on Boris Karloff. Vincent isn't too excited about his brother. We brought Boris home yesterday and to my disappointment there was hissing and growling from Vincent. We separated them in separate rooms tried again in the evening to see how they would do. Boris is care free, but Vincent is on him like a hawk. They are separated for now. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20141109_162550.jpg
    IMG_20141109_162550.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 42
Back