Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Declawing?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Gesundheit I have heard of that before. Where a cat cannot retract their claws. It is another great example of a medical condition where declawing might be a medical necessity for the sfaety of the cat. Having claws stuck and terrified trying to get loose can create major issues physically and emotionally for them if they cannot free themselves. It must be horrible.

patti

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Gesundheit I have heard of that before. Where a cat cannot retract their claws. It is another great example of a medical condition where declawing might be a medical necessity for the sfaety of the cat. Having claws stuck and terrified trying to get loose can create major issues physically and emotionally for them if they cannot free themselves. It must be horrible.

patti
As we can all sympathize, it's bad enough when you have a kitten who's learning how to watch both ends at the same time. I'm always concerned about dewclaws, though. They're often removed in puppies, and I don't know if it's ever done in kittens, unless you live in an area where declawing is just seen as normal. Declawing is illegal in California, unless you have a prescription.

Now, if only we could make ear "cropping" and tail "bobbing" illegal.

Angelicar2000

Lairian
I too have to put caps on my boy. His are falling off one at a time and found him clawing again. If your does, you just have to keep capping them once they fall off. I got mine from amazon and I think they work great and it's a good deal as long as you get the same brand.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My cats have different scratching things but they would still circle back to my furniture every once in a while, so what I did is I got a big roll of clear tape and taped along the arms/legs of the couch and loveseat where the cats were scratching. Then the cats moved to the top of the back of the couch and loveseat, so I draped a couple of nice throws over them. Over time the throws have plenty of pulled threads but I'm ok with that; the furniture below is fine.

I have fabric furniture as opposed to leather and I noticed that if the cats lay in one spot all the time that spot gets stained. I think it's from the body oils on these guys. I decided to put throws on the seating areas, which I can just take off if I have guests over. Hope this helps.

Back