First night home

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by jvitagliano, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jvitagliano

jvitagliano Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $87.00
    My little girl isn't old enough to come home yet, but I'm nervous about her first night home. My breeder uploads videos of her litter all the time and they all seem to enjoy the company of their siblings so much, that I'm nervous my kitten will cry and be upset her first couple nights at my house. Did any of your cats do the same when they came home? Do you have any recommendations to make the transition easier for the kitten?

2. Inflamed

Inflamed Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $17,691.91
    • Scary sphynx
    We made a decision beforehand that Lucifer (our first) would not sleep with us but we did sleep with him in the livingroom the first night. The second night though, he was on his own. He cried for about ten minutes and then he turned quiet, probably just went to sleep. It's been fine ever since - some nights there's some crying when we go to sleep, but never more than a few minutes. More when he thinks it's time for us to get up :LOL:
    With Samael we spend two nights on the couch because we were too anxious to leave the new brothers alone. He has never cried because he's content with Lucifer's company.
    I don't know whether you intend to let her sleep with you but if you do you probably don't have to worry about it. Sphynx tend to attach themselves to their humans very fast and she would be content with your company.
    Despite this, they will always miss their littermates to first few days. Usually the breeder sends them home with a blanket full of litter scent!

jvitagliano and (deleted member) like this.
  3. snarkitty

snarkitty Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $39.00
    Dorian has never cried during the night, but he sleeps in bed with me. :Smile:

4. Snowball

Snowball Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $50.00
    Pebbles cried constantly for two weeks when I brought him home. He was the most active out of the bunch and I guess he missed his siblings. He did cuddle with me a lot and cries when I walk off or go to work. For Pebbles, it took him longer to get used to the idea that he doesn't have his siblings around him anymore. Once he got used to being alone with me and my husband, he started to act normal. He did cry a little bit afterwards but after a month, he acted like he never cried before and if you mentioned it to him, he will look at you like you're crazy. In his mind, he's not a cry baby and never has been. :Hysterical:

What I did to try to get Pebbles to stop crying is I play with him a lot. I tried to divert his attention to being a lone and I kept a routine with him. Since I wake up at 3 in the morning to go to work, he wakes up at that time and it's his breakfast. When I do come home from work, sometimes around 7am, 8am, 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1 or 2pm, it will be his lunch and then I feed him around 6-7. It has become his routine until 2 months ago when I had to change his diet and feed him less. He's not overweight. He just has a Spay sway abdomen pouch so he looks like he's fat but he's actually pretty lean. He still wakes up at 2:30 or 3am just to wait for me to wake up to feed him his breakfast but yeah, keep a routine with him and make him play a lot of toys. It will definitely keep him happy.

jvitagliano and (deleted member) like this.