Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Gingivitis

NYYoda

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As you know my lil Yoda went to neuter surgery last week. While under non-ketamine sedation biopsy on his gums was performed. According to Vet, results of Yoda's biopsy supported his initial hypothesis that Yoda has GINGIVITS :Cry::Cry::Cry:
For the next month Yoda is prescribed Azithromycin orally and Oral Cleansing BID.

Poor little kitty. His only 7th months, I wander if anyone successfully deal with Gingivitis?
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Vito has really bad gingivitis too. He's booked for a dental cleaning on 16 Feb. The vet says that I should be brushing and put a dental supplement in his water/food.

I don't think they will be doing a biopsy. It hasn't been mentioned. Possibly xray and extractions but I don't think it will be necessary.

NYYoda

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Vito has really bad gingivitis too. He's booked for a dental cleaning on 16 Feb. The vet says that I should be brushing and put a dental supplement in his water/food.

I don't think they will be doing a biopsy. It hasn't been mentioned. Possibly xray and extractions but I don't think it will be necessary.

Good luck with cleaning. Keep me posted how its going and if any recommendations.

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Good luck with cleaning. Keep me posted how its going and if any recommendations.

I have found it relatively easy to brush Moses's teeth. We use the little brush and kitty flavor paste! I think it's malt flavored or something. He tolerates it well! Better than baths, ear cleaning and CERTAINLY nail clipping! However... I recently began to wonder if there is a prob with his teeth. I'm actually wondering if he got all of his adult teeth? His teeth between his canine are so tiny , I'm not sure they are adult teeth!!

Jen

lexus2011

Lairian
I brush both Lexus and Diablos teeth. I got baby tooth brushes (I can't not, I'm a dental assistant after all :p), they both tolerate it really well. They don't LOVE it, but they don't bite me when I'm doing it lol. I use A beef flavoured toothpaste... good luck, give it a go!

Sent from my Nexus One

NYYoda

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I brush both Lexus and Diablos teeth. I got baby tooth brushes (I can't not, I'm a dental assistant after all :p), they both tolerate it really well. They don't LOVE it, but they don't bite me when I'm doing it lol. I use A beef flavoured toothpaste... good luck, give it a go!

Sent from my Nexus One

Thanks but where I can find BEEF flavored toothpaste ? Is it something particularly made for cats?

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I use an enzyme toothpaste, but I cannot actually brush his teeth. He just licks it all off. I'm going to try a baby toothbrush since he likes chewing on the tiny one that came with it.

I'm thinking having a bit of toothpaste in his mouth has to help a bit. His teeth are horrible.

lexus2011

Lairian
Thanks but where I can find BEEF flavored toothpaste ? Is it something particularly made for cats?

I bought it from a pet store, It's a universal one for both cats and dogs. I am actually from new Zealand so am unsure where you can get it. Lightbulb moment........ Just peeled off the price tag to see where it is made and it's from U.S.A

The brand is Hartz, the details are The Hartz Mountain Corporation, Secaucus USA and St Thomas, Ontario, Canada.

Have no clue what that means but try google it, it may help.

Good luck, let me know how you get on. Kiwi smiles :BigSmile:

Fluffy

Lairian
one of my boys had the same problem was told to brush has often as poss and 6 months later theres no trace of gingivitis. i use babytooth brushs and they are now used to it (still wrap them in a towel thou lol) Both boys teeth are cleaner and theres improvement with the death breath!!!!

NYYoda

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
one of my boys had the same problem was told to brush has often as poss and 6 months later theres no trace of gingivitis. i use babytooth brushs and they are now used to it (still wrap them in a towel thou lol) Both boys teeth are cleaner and theres improvement with the death breath!!!!

This is great! Sounds very optimistic! I am glad that your boys are doing good!

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Samael has horrible teeth too so we started brushing with a baby brush and chicken flavoured paste. He tolerates it very well and loves the paste! I think his teeth are already improving so hope to keep his adult teeth healthy as soon as they appear :BigSmile:

NYYoda

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Samael has horrible teeth too so we started brushing with a baby brush and chicken flavoured paste. He tolerates it very well and loves the paste! I think his teeth are already improving so hope to keep his adult teeth healthy as soon as they appear :BigSmile:

what age they supposed to have adult teeth?

Sillysphynx24

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have found it relatively easy to brush Moses's teeth. We use the little brush and kitty flavor paste! I think it's malt flavored or something. He tolerates it well! Better than baths, ear cleaning and CERTAINLY nail clipping! However... I recently began to wonder if there is a prob with his teeth. I'm actually wondering if he got all of his adult teeth? His teeth between his canine are so tiny , I'm not sure they are adult teeth!!

Jen

You can see the size difference in his teeth in the first pic. All but the white ones are baby teeth! The second pic are all adult! Their adult teeth are very small as well so that's probably normal for him! Otherwise he would have a double row and looks like a shark lol!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326341344.012411.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326341344.012411.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 77
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326341621.384346.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326341621.384346.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 77

Sillysphynx24

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I got my toothpaste at the vet! It's seafood flavored. It came with a little brush but I've bought a different tiny toothbrush that works better. You can also get the paste at petco/petsmart. I like the CET brand, it's enzymatic as well!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326341859.846724.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326341859.846724.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 50

NYYoda

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can see the size difference in his teeth in the first pic. All but the white ones are baby teeth! The second pic are all adult! Their adult teeth are very small as well so that's probably normal for him! Otherwise he would have a double row and looks like a shark lol!

MAGIC!!! :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:
Thank you so much!!!

NYYoda

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
UPDATE on Yoda's gums: he went to Vet and he absolutely hates him. I guess lil Yoda remembers the execution (neuter surgery) However, his gums are much BETTER! still has some issue and room for improvement, but BETTER!!!

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That's great news! Did you do anything to improve them like brushing or did they just get better on their own? I checked the brand of our paste, it's Virbac C.E.T. and it's enzymatic too. Some of Samael's teeth are actually white now

Just re-read your first post and realised you did use something for his gums, never mind my question haha.!

NYYoda

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's great news! Did you do anything to improve them like brushing or did they just get better on their own? I checked the brand of our paste, it's Virbac C.E.T. and it's enzymatic too. Some of Samael's teeth are actually white now

Just re-read your first post and realised you did use something for his gums, never mind my question haha.!

we are still using the same treatment (it is for 1 month)

Fluffy

Lairian
I think my reply read wrong. For the last 6-8 months now I've been brushing away and all signs of gum disease have now gone ;-) with the bathing, nail care and ears the brushing of teeth just fall in line with the norm and it's working so Yayyy :/)

Back