Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

growing hair when they are cold?

kuhlease

Lairian
the breeder i got my effie from said that when they get cold they grow some fur. i live in california so i didn't think much of it. recently though it's been staying pretty cold in our house so effie has always had a sweatshirt on. i just noticed that she has a light coat of fur around her legs (essentially where pants would be) but none under her sweatshirt. is it true they grow fur when they are cold? if so, how much? (i know they won't suddenly turned into a furred cat lol)

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I believe it really just depends on the sphynx on how much hair they grow. Essentially it's like us, when we shave our legs in the shower and step out if the bathroom is cold the stubble starts to come out, or when we're outside and our hairs stand on end from it being cold, it's just how the sphynx reacts. I know I'm from Cali too and I'm returning there next month, I think it just really depends on the area you're at for you to really know because of how cold it is. Good luck, maybe somebody else will chime in with a better answer :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Some sphynx will get a little fuzz in the winter, some sphynx has fuzz all the time.
Some sphynx get a little fuzz due to their hormones. If, it's because, of the winter weather, it will go away
in the spring.

Heidi58

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My husband and I were talking about this this morning. Nika has more hair on her tail and ears than she did when she first came to us. We were not sure if it was the switch in food or the cooler weather (western Maine mountains from Houston).

It will be interesting to see if it thins out again in the spring......

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My baby is growing a little extra fuzz on her tail, toes (just the sides, so cute!) and ears. I'm curious to see if she'll get more than that. I like her ear fuzz ^_^

ilovedirt

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pharaoh stays fuzz-free year round, but Vega has some fuzz that thickens up when it cools off...it's mostly on his legs, sides and tail

tkmaune

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I live in California as well and Nipsey doesn't grow fur during the winter. I think it just depends on the kitty.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We're in the southern Nevada desert and Cleo has grown more fur each winter. She always has furry feet, tail, face and ears, but this winter (her third) has her growing her thickest coat yet. Her belly and most of her hips always stay bald. And right now daytime temps are around 85 degrees, so it's not always about the weather getting cooler. With Cleo, it seems to be related to seasonal changes, regardless of the temperatures.
Here is she with her fuzzy cape (and her Daddieo's icepack on his knee):
image.jpg

image.jpg

JoannaH91

Lairian
My baby is growing a little extra fuzz on her tail, toes (just the sides, so cute!) and ears. I'm curious to see if she'll get more than that. I like her ear fuzz ^_^

That's exactly where mine is growing fuzz also :) and she also has 1 tiny whisker about 2cm long lol

JoannaH91

Lairian
We're in the southern Nevada desert and Cleo has grown more fur each winter. She always has furry feet, tail, face and ears, but this winter (her third) has her growing her thickest coat yet. Her belly and most of her hips always stay bald. And right now daytime temps are around 85 degrees, so it's not always about the weather getting cooler. With Cleo, it seems to be related to seasonal changes, regardless of the temperatures.
View attachment 16574
View attachment 16575
Look at that awesome cape!! Lol so does it fall off when it gets warmer again?

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yup! She goes back to her state of hair only on her face, feet, tail and ears by summer. And, as you can see, the "cape" looks more like a moth eaten, patchy stubble than a true fur coat.

Masteryoda

Lairian
U can see here that Cleo has hair on her tail it's more sparse at top but then is more hair towards tip. She has mask fuzz, on her ears and behind them and stockings. The hair on her back is like pig hair...only a bit of actual fuzz on her hips and hear top neck. She is bald in a lot of spots but especially her neck and tummy. It hasn't grown but has more or less remained the same. I live in FL so it won't get too cold but will get a bit more chilly so we will see. She is spayed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 288

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
H
View attachment 16574
View attachment 16575
How long did it take her to grown that fur shawl its pretty long i posted on your original post about how lucky she was that her fur was free and we had to buy ours LOL

Xtina

susi794

Staff member
Actually I believe it has more to do with the length of day than it does the cold. But the days are shorter and it IS usually colder when that happens. The length of day would explain why Cleopatra Beers in Nevada would grow hairier in the winter months.

sciumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Actually I believe it has more to do with the length of day than it does the cold. But the days are shorter and it IS usually colder when that happens. The length of day would explain why Cleopatra Beers in Nevada would grow hairier in the winter months.
I've heard something similar--that it's the amount of sunlight--so, I think that's accurate.

Astor developed an adorable winter coat--he was a pretty naked Sphynx most of the year, but it the winter, he fluffed up dramatically! It was so adorable :)

amikhaylov4

Lairian
View attachment 16574
View attachment 16575

Wow! That's quite the gorgeous coat. Does she shed most of it in the summer, or does some fur still remain?
I just noticed a little bit more peach fuzz around Dexter's hip area, but it's barely noticeable unless I point it out. So interesting how each sphynx is different.

HemingwaysMom

Lairian
My husband and I were talking about this this morning. Nika has more hair on her tail and ears than she did when she first came to us. We were not sure if it was the switch in food or the cooler weather (western Maine mountains from Houston).

It will be interesting to see if it thins out again in the spring......

My kitty lives in Maine now too and he came from Arizona. If they grow fur from cold, then he'll have a full coat in notime! lol

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oliver has more fuzz the older he gets. Was naked as a kitty then nose fuzz, then ears, now a fine body fuzz but no tail hair....yet. Wonder if it comes from their Devon Rex lineage?

Momrat329

Lairian
My Dr Spock has grown a very sparse winter coat of hair. Mocha has not. Spock has also found a new place for warmth on the heat register and now his little bit of new fluff has shed off. I wish I had a coat made of this fluff--it is the softest I have ever felt. I have only had my babies since April, so this is my first winter with the Sphynxie babies. Just love them to pieces!!

Back