HCM - My sphynx was diagnosed - Advice please.

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by yoda&koko, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Offline
    yoda&koko

yoda&koko Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $76.00
    This is my first time using this forum in a desperate attempt to find out more info on HCM and how others have gone through it. I got two sphynx kittens 2 years ago in Texas (a grey female that is growing hair, and a white/red male). We have been through so much,from traveling around the country with "to go" toilets as I was a traveling nurse, to riding in strollers, visiting family/friends, and illnesses (it seems only the male is always sick). He's had little things like skin rashes to big things like an ulcer in his eye,which he had surgery for last year in CT, with a long, slow recovery and a not so pretty eye anymore :( Well, these are the least of my concerns as I recently was told he has HCM (advanced stage). I brought him to the emergency vet as he was wheezing and not breathing well. The vet and I both thought it was an asthma attack but she wanted to get a chest X-ray just to be sure we are not missing something. And this is what signaled the heart disease,he was in CHF. So they kept him for the day, gave lasix to get the fluid off, got an echo, and finally let him go back home with me at night. About two weeks later (after being on meds), I notice his breathing isn't looking good again and as I listened to his lungs, I knew I had to bring him in. This ER doctor brought up the euthanize topic, but I wasn't ready at that moment. Now we are seeing a cardiologist (after a 3 week wait) who is trying to control the fluid build up. I now have injectable lasix at home for emergencies. He is doing fine now, active, loves to play, begs for treats all day long like usual,but I just don't know when it's time to let him go and/or what is going to happen from here. Am I going to come home to a dead cat? I don't want him to suffer, especially from a blood clot that could paralyze him.
    My heart is just broken,never thought this would happen to me. My female (his sister) is so dependent on him, she will go crazy with him being gone. It's just a lot to go through,and this was all happening during my finals for nurse anesthesia school. Unfortunately I failed one class and cannot go back to finish until next year. Everything does happen for a reason,and maybe it's so I can give him all the love he needs during his last days. I never thought I could be so attached to an animals,.and nobody seems to understand. That's why I came here,.because anyone who owns a sphynx will understand.
    Please,any advice will help. I just hope I can figure out how to check replies.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013

2. Online
    Lickleone

Lickleone Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $22,049.21
    Spock and his meds

I am so sorry for what you going through and although I myself have no experience with it there are quiet a few members that do and will share their knowledge you came to the right place to find good advise and compassion ((((hugs to you and your babies))))))
  3. Offline
    Graddydani

Graddydani Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $172.31
    Spock and his meds

I'm so sorry about what's happened with your handsome little guy and the thought of having to say goodbye must be tearing you apart but maybe you just need to find a good cardiologist. Sphynx with HCM and most heart conditions can live a good life as long as everything is controlled well. There are a few members who have babies with Heart conditions I'm sure they'll pm you and she'd some light. For now please give him and your girl a huge hug and kiss from me. You can also use the toolbar to look up other info from other members. Please keep us updated.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  4. Offline
    admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $45,230.66
    • Zombie
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Skull head
    • Black Sphynx
    So sorry to her of your issue. Welcome by the way. I see they are giving Lasix which is normal for fluid build up in the lungs, usually they will prescribe ACE inhibitors and then depending on how the blood pressure responds they may prescribe atenolol as well as Plavix for thinning the blood and preventing clots. (not sure if the meds were prescribed and being taken already.)

If your kitty has been confirmed with HCM -meds need to be taken asap.

At that point being the disease is in the advanced stage, you will need to make the very hard decision to let him go over the rainbow bridge. I think every owner knows when the pain needs to end. As Graddydani said, with proper medication they can live a somewhat normal, comfortable life.

please keep us posted.

p.s.

You can subscribe to a post by clicking the prescribe button in the thread - see picture attachment.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  5. Online
    TsumePaws

TsumePaws Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $177.00
    I don't have any advice I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you are having to go through this. I have had to deal with horrible diseases with past furry cats. I lost the cat I considered my heart cat at the age of 3 yrs old due to fatty liver disease, and we had to put my family cat to sleep due to kidney failure. And my mom just lost her 8 yr old cat due to Lymphoma. She took him in because he was losing weight rapidly and had a swollen belly and then got the diagnosis of cancer. 3 days later he passed away at home. It was horrible and we are all still healing.

I completely understand how attached you can get to an animal. They are not just dogs or cats they are like our children and they are our family. We love them and when they hurt it hurts us as well.

I hope someone can offer you some good advice and I hope the cardiologist can help him more.

How old are your kitties? I may have missed their age if so I apologize. No matter the age, illness is just not fair. (((hugs))) to you and your kitties!
  6. Offline
    ZiggyStardust

ZiggyStardust Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $8,717.49
    • butterfly 4
    • Blue Sphynx
    • Black Sphynx
    • Dragon fly
    • Lamb
    I am so sorry to hear of his diagnosis. It is a horrible, heartbreaking disease. You say you've been to a cardiologist that gave you emergency lasix. Did he/she prescribe anything else? My Ash has Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopothy and is on Atenolol, Enalapril, and aspirin. These drugs help slow the heart rate, aid in circulation, and prevent clots. It has helped prolong his life comfortably. He has not experienced CHF yet, so I have not had experience with that, but I know that I probably will some day. And I'm going to lose my heart when I have to say goodbye to him. It's always hard to say when is the best time to let go, but I try to think of it as quality over quantity. If your baby is active and playing, I'd say he's still got some quality time. The meds can help extend that too. If I can help answer any questions, I'm happy to do so. Sending you love, hugs, and prayers.
  7. Offline
    MyJezebel

MyJezebel Senior Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $5,701.24
    I'm very sorry that you and your baby are in this situation. My boy Finn was diagnosed with mild HCM a year ago, but we are not certain if it's from the steroid that he takes daily to control another chronic illness that he's been diagnosed with. He isn't on any cardiac medications at the moment, so I don't have any experience with that. However, I do know what it's like to worry about a chronic health condition and my heart goes out to you.
  8. Offline
    Gizasmom

Gizasmom Senior Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $109.53
    I am heartbroken for you....Im sure there will be lots of great advice here for you shortly! sending love and support!
  9. Offline
    Caloci

Caloci Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,889.34
    • Black Sphynx
    • Sea Turtle
    I am so sorry you are dealing with this. My boy was diagnosed with HOCM back in November. So far we have only had one appointment with the cardiologist. I am glad you are seeing a cardiologist, I think it is for the best.

Talk with your cardiologist about what to expect and when you should revisit the euthinasia talk. There are many sphynx who have HCM that die of unrelated illnesses. As long as your boy is happy and not suffering you shouldnt have to worry.

Unfortunately with this illness coming home to your kitty having gone to Rainbow Bridge is a real possibility. I think for now you are doing the right thing by having him see a cardio. I hope he has good news for you and that meds can keep your boy happy and functioning well for a long time to come.

We are here to listen anytime, please let us know how things are progressing.

Hugs
  10. Offline
    lego89

lego89 New Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $154.84
    Sorry to hear your story. My baby Pekoe went into congestive heart failure over a year ago. The doctor prescribed: plavex, forticor, ferocimide twice a day ( please excuse the spelling I don't have the boxes near me). Pekoe is happy, playful and as cuddly as evEr- but he is more easily stressed out since his attack which is understandable. We keep our home as warm and stress free as we possibility can, I believe this helps a lot with his illness. Whilst playing with cats who have CHF isn' ideal as it can trigger another attack, playimg makes cats happy and thats what we want pekoe to be. Your kitty with the right medication can lead a normal life.

Pekoe was given 6 months maximum by the vet and its been 15 months... But sadly the condition is uncertain and anything can happen- blot clots, heart attacks etc. no one knows when these will happen and they can be completely random. All you can do is give your kitty the best life possible, which I'm certain you will do :).
    1 person likes this.
  11. Offline
    Inflamed

Inflamed Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $17,673.91
    • Scary sphynx
    I just wanted to welcome you to the Lair and express my sympathies. I have no experience with heart conditions but I understand that with the right meds they can live quite comfortably.
    Only you know your baby best and you should listen to your heart when you feel his life quality has dropped too far for him to have a comfortable life. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this and I hope that other member's experience/advice has helped you put things in perspective.