Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Healthy weight?

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How much should a helathy cat weigh? Is there any guidelines to stick to? My cats are different ages, different sexes and totally different bodytypes. How do I know if my babies is to big or to small?

/Zab

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Most of my cat books and information I've read say around 6 - 11 lbs for a sphynx. I know they can vary a lot depending on the breed line. And that is just a rough guide.

Skeels

Lairian
I need help with this as well. It's difficult to know if my sphynx is overweight because they have such an odd body shape anyway. For feeding, I feed the higher end of the recommendation chart, since I've been told that sphynx burn more calories than other breeds. My vet told me that Baldwin is about 3 pounds overweight. She seemed really concerned because of his "large weight gain" since last year. He was 7 months when i took him last year.... I'm posting pics. If you could help give me some advice on his weight. He's active, and healthy otherwise.

Attachments

• 10689463_10153376895716602_1703793661306325034_n.jpg
    10689463_10153376895716602_1703793661306325034_n.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 11148429_10153291216991602_7763146438392064943_n.jpg
    11148429_10153291216991602_7763146438392064943_n.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 31

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Skeels ,Baldwin is adorable! He does look a wee full figured - what brand food? Does he eat dry and canned?
my Batman is healthy and active but getting a little more rounder than my others- I find the food charts on bags are usually very generous-
I am personally cutting back on my Batman's food a little including treats! because I don't want his weight to possibly cause other issues

How much does Baldwin weigh? Does he treats too? I am breaking the treats in half and Batman doesn't notice the difference

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was going to agree with @Yoda mom and ask the same questions , Baldwin does look a little round! The CFA's breed profile for the sphynx: "Sphynx have sturdy boning, good muscle development and a bit of a firm belly as if they just finished a nice dinner."

I often wonder sometimes if Mulder seems a little skinny, but he seems to be a good weight and since he's almost 7 months old he's still growing like a weed. He definitely eats enough to give him a little belly when he's done, but it's gone an hour or so later once he's digested!

Skeels

Lairian
Baldwin weighs in at 14 pounds. :nailbiting: He gets 1 cup of grain free food a day. I switch between Blue Buffalo Duck and Halo Vigor Turkey and chicken. She wants him at 11 pounds, I feel like when he was 12 he was perfect, so that's my own personal goal for him. He doesn't like can or pouch food, treats maybe once a week.
I'm cutting his food down to 3/4 cup and trying to increase exercise.

Thanks for the feedback, I've never owned a cat before, and my dogs have always been at a healthy weight. I felt like a bad mom!!! I will post again when he slims down a bit :)

@Skeels ,Baldwin is adorable! He does look a wee full figured - what brand food? Does he eat dry and canned?
my Batman is healthy and active but getting a little more rounder than my others- I find the food charts on bags are usually very generous-
I am personally cutting back on my Batman's food a little including treats! because I don't want his weight to possibly cause other issues

How much does Baldwin weigh? Does he treats too? I am breaking the treats in half and Batman doesn't notice the difference

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Aww, don't feel badly, @Skeels. That's why there's great places like the Lair so we can exchange information.

Exercise is definitely a good thing for all nakeds. Have you tried Da Bird or other wand toys -- they usually love chasing things around.

Does Baldwin get any sort of treats?

Skeels

Lairian
Aww, don't feel badly, @Skeels. That's why there's great places like the Lair so we can exchange information.

Exercise is definitely a good thing for all nakeds. Have you tried Da Bird or other wand toys -- they usually love chasing things around.

Does Baldwin get any sort of treats?
He gets wellness treats maybe once a week if that. He does have quite a few toys, a laser toy, the Cat's Meow thing that he chases, we have a wand that he likes. He's really pretty active, we throw his favorite ball up the stairs and make him chase it. I'm going to make sure we do this more than just on weekends, sometimes we get really busy during the week. You can tell when he's got pent up energy though, he goes after my boxer and bites his legs until he gets chased! Maybe with a little weight loss his dinosaur costume will snap around the belly!!

Attachments

• 11742716_10153514538411602_2922748463161338718_n.jpg
    11742716_10153514538411602_2922748463161338718_n.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 22

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Skeels ,Baldwin is so cute in his dinosaur costume!
My Batman was joked on that he looked like he "ate a small child" He is active like your Baldwin but keeps the weight on and actually eats less than the others- we are trying to slim him too
He tells me he looks fat in stripes :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 24

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
He gets wellness treats maybe once a week if that. He does have quite a few toys, a laser toy, the Cat's Meow thing that he chases, we have a wand that he likes. He's really pretty active, we throw his favorite ball up the stairs and make him chase it. I'm going to make sure we do this more than just on weekends, sometimes we get really busy during the week. You can tell when he's got pent up energy though, he goes after my boxer and bites his legs until he gets chased! Maybe with a little weight loss his dinosaur costume will snap around the belly!!

1 cup a day isn't much. Plus, that being all he eats. I would look
into a lower calorie food. I think that would be better than cutting
back to 3/4 of a cup. That's not much food. But, switch very slowly, not
all at once. If you don't know how to do it over a 3 week period, just ask.

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You can tell when he's got pent up energy though, he goes after my boxer and bites his legs until he gets chased! Maybe with a little weight loss his dinosaur costume will snap around the belly!!
LOL, had to chuckle at this...Mulder does the same to our boxer :) Twice last night there was a scuffling sound from behind the couch, cue the dog running by with Mulder chasing and smacking his legs :ROFLMAO:

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I need help with this as well. It's difficult to know if my sphynx is overweight because they have such an odd body shape anyway. For feeding, I feed the higher end of the recommendation chart, since I've been told that sphynx burn more calories than other breeds. My vet told me that Baldwin is about 3 pounds overweight. She seemed really concerned because of his "large weight gain" since last year. He was 7 months when i took him last year.... I'm posting pics. If you could help give me some advice on his weight. He's active, and healthy otherwise.

Gotta say, really adorable cat! And I love the outfits!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Skeels ,Baldwin is so cute in his dinosaur costume!
My Batman was joked on that he looked like he "ate a small child" He is active like your Baldwin but keeps the weight on and actually eats less than the others- we are trying to slim him too
He tells me he looks fat in stripes :)

Vertical stripes are slendering! ;-) Batman is very handsome though, even if it looks like he "ate a small child".

Skeels

Lairian
So it's been awhile but I have an update. The reason Baldwin wasn't losing weight is because he was full of foreign:zombie: objects!!! In August he began getting sick, and threw up a ball of HAIRTIES. not just 2 or 3, like 12. I have never seen him eat ANYTHING weird. So i gave him some hairball meds, to try to lube him up to throw up any more, and needless to say it didn't work.
We had to have him taken to the vet, and after 3 days and emergency surgery, they pushed the rest out without opening his intestines.
The poor thing was so scared, but he returned home and after a week of restriction in our bedroom, he was back to normal and now has more energy than ever! He's super active, and I have made sure that any hair ties, or anything that he can eat, isn't around.
IT WAS TERRIFYING. His belly is much smaller now, and he weighs 13 pounds. With his activity level up there, I'm sure he will lose some more.

Thanks everyone for listening. While Baldwin is healthy now, we have an older dog that unfortunately has cancer. She is Baldwins best friend and play buddy. The next few months will be especially hard on all of us :( :hurting:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Glad to hear he is ok. Now time to train the humans to hide everything lol. Thanks for the update.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Pfffew happy to hear Baldwin is fine now. You must have been so scared. And so relieved you were on time and he's full of energy now.

Sorry to hear about your dog. What's her name? Hope you'll have as much beautiful days with her as possible. Saying goodbye can be so hard and sad. Hope you'll find a way. Thinking of you!

Back