Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Leeanne

Lairian
New sphynx owner having a couple issues I hope to fix ASAP! My kitten Rosé seems to be pooping all over our apartment. She mainly poops in the bed while we are sleeping or on my partner side of the bed on the floor . She has also pooped in the closet and an area in the dining room . What's weird to me is she was box trained by the breeder and uses our cat box here . I have arranged furniture in the dining room and she no longer poops there but continues to have accidents. Also I'm looking for something to help clean the areas where she had to use the bathroom . I bought a spray from the pet store but was hoping for suggestions on what everyone else uses ?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Here is a link, that should help you.
Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box
Also, you can use Dr. Elsey's cat attract.
Litter attraction.
Nature's miracle just for cat's.
You can get this at Petsmart.

Attachments

• 47187._AC_SS190_V1460478783_.jpg
    47187._AC_SS190_V1460478783_.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 47188._AC_SS190_V1460478783_.jpg
    47188._AC_SS190_V1460478783_.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 25

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are there other cats in the home? How many litter boxes do you have? I would try keeping her confined to one room if you aren't home, with 2 litter boxes in it. Make sure they don't have the top hood part on them. Make sure that the litter boxes are away from her food and water dishes as well, and that she knows where they are (easily accessible)

Leeanne

Lairian
She is my one and only kitten. I keep her in the living room during the day. The pooping tends to be in the bedroom I'm guessing at night . Maybe I should keep her in the living room at night? Or add a litter box to the bedroom? She also seems to drag goodies along almost like she can't control her poo ***also*** I do have a three year old daughter

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
She is my one and only kitten. I keep her in the living room during the day. The pooping tends to be in the bedroom I'm guessing at night . Maybe I should keep her in the living room at night? Or add a litter box to the bedroom? She also seems to drag goodies along almost like she can't control her poo ***also*** I do have a three year old daughter

@Leeanne the Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attrack kitty litter saved my life once!!!
I have been using the original Nature's Miracle for almost 30 years for dog messes and cat messes. LOVE this stuff. I've tried other suggestions along the way, but always go right back to Nature's Miracle.
41RsNqoJWNL._SY300_.jpg
But the big one for sure. You can use it in your washing machine too with your bed linens. Actually, the one I love for soiled bedding that is going into the washer is the one that is scented with Lavender.

shopping

Over the years, I have tried Nature's Miracle specified for cats, etc. and I just go right back to these two in the photos above. Works great.

You will definitely have to contain your kitten to a smaller area of your home. You also need to have more than one litter box available too.

If the poos are not firm and formed, then it's an issue with the food most probably just along there are no health issues like parasites, etc.

What are you feeding? Are you adding a spoonful of 100% pure pumpkin to the wet food 2X a day? That helps firm up loose poo, again, just alone the cat is healthy and has no parasites, etc.

If the poo is not formed and firm, have a stool test performed at your vet's office to rule other issues.

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Yoda mom

Staff member
I would also recommend a stool sample check/ wellness check with your vet to rule out any parasites.
Sometimes too food too high in protein can cause loose poo issues
Will she eat a little 100% pure canned pumpkin

You can make a hidden litter box for the bedroom -
Google "litter box hacks " for lots of neat ideas

If she sleeps in the bedroom at night I would add a box and see if it helps too

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Leeanne you are welcome. I hope she hasn't gotten into the bad habit of pooping on your bed though. She may need to be confined to a different room especially during the night. Did you get Nature's Miracle?

A cat will smell where an accident happened and always go back to that spot until it's neutralized. Keep that in mind.

Leeanne

Lairian
We had our vet visit today and it was clear that she has no scratches or ulcers that it might be conjunctivitis or feline herpes so we will put her on antibiotics for seven days and rule out from there. The doctor also gave me a probiotic for her loose stool . But with the second litter box added in the bedroom there has been no accidents !

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We have had great success with that ointment. Hoping things clear up quickly. 2 weeks ago our one girl start holding her eye funny. Was conjunctivitis and the ointment again cleared things up and none of the other cats contracted it. Keep us updated.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Leeanne the eye ointment is good. The pills are Flagyl, like an antibiotic for her stomach for certain organisms. I can't read what the other thing is. Glad the second litter box in the bedroom is helping. That's VERY good. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Leeanne , those meds have worked great for us here in the past - good stuff

All paws crossed for good news updates
Keep us posted on the stool sample results -
Great update on the litter box addition success :)

Keep the good news coming!
Head kisses to good girl!

Leeanne

Lairian
The breeder swears by purina one healthy kitten formula?? She said Royal canine has been known for too much protein and is worried pumpkin may make her poo more ?? I feel like a mess I just bought the Rachel Ray cat food zero grain but not sure if it's ok??

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The breeder swears by purina one healthy kitten formula?? She said Royal canine has been known for too much protein and is worried pumpkin may make her poo more ?? I feel like a mess I just bought the Rachel Ray cat food zero grain but not sure if it's ok??

@Leeanne pumpkin is a fiber. It works both ways: It will firm up loose poop. It will help if constipated. So if the issue is loose poop and you give pumpkin, it firms it up.

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

If you read the ingredients of Purina's kitten formula you'll see they have: corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, , whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, soy protein isolate. Brewers rice is basically rice left overs sweeped off the floor, worthless fillers.. corn meal, corn also fillers cats don't digest vegetable and them using soybean as a protein source for cats is really worrying:

"The soybean contains large quantities of natural toxins or "antinutrients." First among them are potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion. These inhibitors are large, tightly folded proteins that are not completely deactivated during ordinary cooking. They can produce serious gastric distress, reduced protein digestion and chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake. In test animals, diets high in trypsin inhibitors cause enlargement and pathological conditions of the pancreas, including cancer. Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together. Trypsin inhibitors and haemagglutinin are growth inhibitors."

A study was conducted in 2004 at the University of Pennsylvania to determine the amount of phytoestrogens in 24 random commercial dog foods. Results revealed all the foods containing soy ingredients had concentrations of phytoestrogens in large enough quantities to have a biological effect on the pet.i

Soy has been linked to gas and deadly bloat in dogs. It is high in purines and is therefore a completely inappropriate protein source for urate-forming dogs. It is also high in silicates and promotes the formation of silica stones.

The carbohydrate action of soy can cause a rise in blood sugar in many cats. Soy is also linked to thyroid damage, and since hyperthyroidism is common in kitties, this is yet another reason it should not be part of a feline's diet.

The ingestion of soybean products is also linked to seizures in both dogs and cats."

It's very hard for cats to get too much protein as they're obligate carnivores who live off meat in nature, kittens need the most of protein also. My kitten has been on raw meat since I got him and is growing beautifully with firm stools, he gets A LOT of protein. Good foods are at least 80% protein, purina is only 40% with the bulk of it being soy protein which doesn't do them any good. It's a cheap supermarket food that causes digestive issues for my cats and the ingridents are picked out to be cheap not nutritional. Not all breeders know their nutrition. Royal Canin also has suspicious ingredients, Rachel Ray's is better but also has a very low protein amount (34%!) as she uses potatoes as a filler. This might be fine for dog food but cats really get nothing from potatoes. The good dry foods I've found are: Aatu, Carnilove, Applaws and I've used Carny wet food. Not sure what's available in the US but look for high protein, little to no vegetable and no grain or soy. You want a bunch of their diet to be wet food to avoid urinary issues and dehydration because cats don't drink enough (especially kittens) to compensate for the lack of moisture in dry food.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Keep us updated often - each kitty is different -
I would stick to what works for your baby

Is this the one ?
Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Chicken & Potato Recipe Grain-Free Natural Dry Cat Food, 12-lb bag - Chewy.com
I see positve reviews

There is no one perfect food - just be sure not to switch food brands too often because it can cause upset tummies and poo issues -
Careful with treats too- they can be a poo culprit

Hang in there - we all have been there with finding a food that works -
I usually will know within week if it is working snd then stick with it

So far I am having really good results with Nutrisource grain inclusive actually -
Cat Food, NutriSource Cat and Kitten Chicken, Salmon, Liver
All 4 Sphynx no poo iuses - solid
I free feed and go here with this brand and was surprised even with no transition time
(Bought it When the food I used was out of stock )

Last edited:

Leeanne

Lairian
I will keep up with the zero grain I have now .. We actually got the fecal test back today and she had two parasites 1-round worm 2 -giardia :cry: I got a new medicine today that is to be followed up in three weeks along with the medications already prescribed.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Leanne Glad you had the fecal tests run and now know what you are dealing with. There is light at the end of the tunnel with just a couple of weeks of treatment. Be sure to use antibacterial wipes on surfaces your baby might walk on like counters, tables etc. cleaning/bleaching the litter box weekly is a help and when you get rid of giardia you might want to replace the box. It is contagious to people so disinfecting surfaces and washing hand is very important. We have seen it some times takes members a second round of meds to clear giardia. You'll have it cleared up in no time.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I will keep up with the zero grain I have now .. We actually got the fecal test back today and she had two parasites 1-round worm 2 -giardia :cry: I got a new medicine today that is to be followed up in three weeks along with the medications already prescribed.

@Leeanne sorry to hear that the fecal test came back with these issues. It's upsetting, but at least you have concrete answers now and there is a solution. Things will be normal again before you know it, so try not to stress too much over it. Clorox is your friend right now.

Hugs to you.

Back