Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hyperactive sphynx and neutering

KitKat121

Lairian
Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I've been on this thread but Grimley and I have been busy having fun! We hope all is well with everyone and their little loves.

I'd post pics of my adorable guy but I'm having a hard time on my phone.

Anyways, the reason I started this thread is because Grimley seems to have behavioral issues at times. I know he's a kitten (about 5 months, almost 6) and I've taken that into consideration when he gets hyper...really, really hyper and I know he's just playing when he latches on with his arms and bites the heck out of ya, but it can get excessive and I'm finding little pee spots around my room and I'm getting a little worried. I'm due to schedule his appointment to neuter him (which is going to break my heart for him, I feel so bad but I know it's what's best lol) and was wondering how doing that is going to affect his behavior? I know sphynx are playful and he's a kitten still but I've just been noticing he's been especially aggressive as he gets older and wanted the input of you experts. Id appreciate if any of you would tell me your experiences with the process so I know what to expect and what I can do to continue to maintain his well-being.
Thank you guys in advance!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I had Max neutered at 6 months. He wasn't spraying or peeing outside his litter box. He also wasn't overly aggressive, but he did have some really intense cray cray moments. His... um... boy bits... were HUGE by then too.

After neutering his cray cray moments were a little less intense. He was also finally over his teething so stopped needing to chew things.

He still plays passionately, but he's less aggressive.

I'm glad I didn't wait any more. I wanted to try to get him to 6 months in tact as one school of thought is that neutering too early could have an impact on future health issues (I still need more convincing on this but figured 6 months was good).

Hopefully others chime in with their experiences.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I've been on this thread but Grimley and I have been busy having fun! We hope all is well with everyone and their little loves.

I'd post pics of my adorable guy but I'm having a hard time on my phone.

Anyways, the reason I started this thread is because Grimley seems to have behavioral issues at times. I know he's a kitten (about 5 months, almost 6) and I've taken that into consideration when he gets hyper...really, really hyper and I know he's just playing when he latches on with his arms and bites the heck out of ya, but it can get excessive and I'm finding little pee spots around my room and I'm getting a little worried. I'm due to schedule his appointment to neuter him (which is going to break my heart for him, I feel so bad but I know it's what's best lol) and was wondering how doing that is going to affect his behavior? I know sphynx are playful and he's a kitten still but I've just been noticing he's been especially aggressive as he gets older and wanted the input of you experts. Id appreciate if any of you would tell me your experiences with the process so I know what to expect and what I can do to continue to maintain his well-being.
Thank you guys in advance!
Between his age and not being neutered, these two things can surely cause this type of issue. See this post also, sometimes a litter box placement or even the litter can cause the peeing outside the box. :)

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I cant say about the spraying, all I know is that my mother chalked up her male sphynx' clinging and biting to his age and not being fixed so ignored the issue .. it didn't stop, if anything it's gotten worse.

I'm not trying to scare, I'm just trying to let you know that you still need to make corrections and address the issues, instead of letting them go as "boys will be boys" the way she did!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Be sure and clean with a enzyme cleaner, where he has speed.
Because, he will go back to it. Nothing else will get rid of it.
It will help him a lot to be neutered. Do you spend a lot of time
playing with him? The da bird, is a great toy they love. You need to tire
him out. Plus, when, he bites, tell him no and redirect him with a
toy.
You can get them at Amazon and different places. That will wear him down.
They need a lot of playtime. When, he's neutered, they will give you a cone to put on him.
That will slow him down. Until, he heals.

Back