Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

is it normal for a new kitten to want to be alone??

hillary haney

Lairian
First time kitten mommy so this might seen like a silly question. I just got my Jewels a little over a week ago and she is very playful, loves my boys, attacks my dog lol, and seems to be adjusting to the family really well BUT when she's done with the family she goes to my son's room by herself and sleeps. I was under the impression that sphynx cats were more of a pet that likes to be around you all the time. If I go in the room and lay with her she purrs and will lay next to me, but if I pick her up and bring her to the couch to cuddle she goes back to the bedroom. My husband said I should of got a dog and that cats are more loners, I hope thats not true :unsure:

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
awwww maybe she just feels right now more comfortable in this room to sleep. Give her a bit time to adjust more . Where does she sleep at night ?

hillary haney

Lairian
awwww maybe she just feels right now more comfortable in this room to sleep. Give her a bit time to adjust more . Where does she sleep at night ?
she chose with my son in his bed, I tried to get her to sleep with me but I think she wont because the dog sleeps in my bed. My boston terrier has taken the mom role and grooms her 24/7 which gets on her nerves

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Not abnormal at all. We have our one girl that sleeps on the bed, but not up close to us like the other 3. She picks and chooses when she is ready to be pet and is not a big cuddler. She often sleeps between my legs, but does not like sleeping under the covers cuddled in my arms like the others.

But when she does want attention, Jouët will cry and stick her butt up in the air and prance in front of us until we love her up...and when she has had enough she tells us. I was away this whole week, and last night, she let me know she wanted some serious attention and loving. I always suggest try putting their favorite blanket in the dryer and see if that can be a starting point. Just warm on your lap, then a few days later sort of wrap them in it and then work your way to true cuddling.

I would not worry though, just like people we all different...

patti

OpheliasMommy

Lairian
Not abnormal at all. We have our one girl that sleeps on the bed, but not up close to us like the other 3. She picks and chooses when she is ready to be pet and is not a big cuddler. She often sleeps between my legs, but does not like sleeping under the covers cuddled in my arms like the others.

But when she does want attention, Jouët will cry and stick her butt up in the air and prance in front of us until we love her up...and when she has had enough she tells us. I was away this whole week, and last night, she let me know she wanted some serious attention and loving. I always suggest try putting their favorite blanket in the dryer and see if that can be a starting point. Just warm on your lap, then a few days later sort of wrap them in it and then work your way to true cuddling.

I would not worry though, just like people we all different...

patti

Ophelia picks and chooses when she wants loving but during the night she insists on being under MY covers touching me. Even when I try to give her her very own blanket, even gave her mine then she wanted under my new one instead lol and no matter how much I move she acts like she's glued to me. But otherwise she only let's me touch her when she wants me to and will bite me lightly if she doesn't like where I'm rubbing. She hates being picked up.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It is a good thing that she has a consistent place to sleep that she feels comfortable. They get into their own little habits. Mine never sleep on the couch any more. Only upstairs in their blankets on our bed (same as where they sleep at night). You can try swaddling her up in her favorite blanky that she usually sleeps on, and bring her with you for cuddles when she is tired. Mine will usually go for that.

hillary haney

Lairian
I just found this tonight lol I guess she found her snuggle buddy... it just wasnt me o_O
10624595_10202704934570455_1129993035264114014_n.jpg

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It does seem your Son's bed is her choice along with him. But, you can always cuddle with her in there
for awhile. When she gets older she might want more cuddles and be more active in the house, with you.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
First time kitten mommy so this might seen like a silly question. I just got my Jewels a little over a week ago and she is very playful, loves my boys, attacks my dog lol, and seems to be adjusting to the family really well BUT when she's done with the family she goes to my son's room by herself and sleeps. I was under the impression that sphynx cats were more of a pet that likes to be around you all the time. If I go in the room and lay with her she purrs and will lay next to me, but if I pick her up and bring her to the couch to cuddle she goes back to the bedroom. My husband said I should of got a dog and that cats are more loners, I hope thats not true :unsure:
Sounds normal

badend925

Lairian
When we first got our girl Zumba she was glued to me in bed. Now she likes sleeping alone most of the time. My wife says it's because i alligator roll all night. Some nights she still comes to bed but,once i start my rolling, she's outta there. Now i mainly just tuck her into her favorite spot on my wife's vanity. I still miss her at times but, I actually sleep better when she's not there.

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Not silly at all! This sounds like Smidget. She was a year old when we got her, but she spent a lot of time curled up in bed, under the blankets, just sleeping. If we went up to her, she'd purr and love us, and she'd humor us if we brought her downstairs, but then she'd head back upstairs when she was finished with us. It's how she dealt with the stress of a new environment, too.

Back