Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

L-Lysine Poll

Do you use L-Lysine?

• 1. Yes, I use L-Lysine for daily for maintenance.

Votes: 76 58.9%
  • 2. No, I have never used L-Lysine.

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • 3. I ONLY use L-Lysine when my sphynx shows symptoms of a cold.

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • 4. I tried L-Lysine but my sphynx did not like it.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 5. Other - please tell.

Votes: 10 7.8%

• Total voters

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I was just answering a new member's post about L-Lysine. I think when new members read about L-Lysine it can be confusing because herpes is usually mentioned in the articles along with it. Just a quick show of hands...lol. Who uses L-Lysine daily as a supplement with their babies?

ME!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I give it to all our pets 2 sphynx and 3 dogs. I do forget sometimes but it does help just 2 weeks ago Dalilah our boxer and Louie our Chinese Crested where sneezing and I gave it to them it boosted there system and saved me a trip to the vet.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@susi794
My vet went to a conference last summer and apparently one of the panels there was a discussion of using a nasal feline rhinotracheitis virus vaccine as a preventative for flair ups for cats that already have it.
From what she said it should prevent flair ups for 3- 6 months.
My experience with both of my kitties was just over 6 months of no problems. Since I'm not going to volunteer to try to put anything up a cat's nose (I don't like bleeding!), and I like to take my guys in for a regular checkup anyway... she charges $30 for the vaccine and I don't have to dose their food.

found an article:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe...nfection-or-feline-viral-rhinotracheitis/4107

relevant quote:
A cat that is a carrier of FVR may benefit from periodic boosters with the intranasal herpes and calicivirus vaccine (up to 2-3 times per year), which may stimulate local immunity against reactivation of the virus, thus decreasing the likelihood of recurrent infection and of viral shedding. .

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Since I just started using it, I have a further question. How much do people use on a daily basis and do you increase it when your kitty shows signs of illness? I have read conflicting suggestions of 250 mg daily then 500 mg if showing signs of illness, then back to 250 mg when well. OR another article suggesting only use when signs of illness present themselves so that the body is not used to it, it will have more of an effect than if you are continually using if..... Although in people it us recommended to take daily to prevent cold sores if you are prone up them so that they don't flare up so the first model I mentioned makes more sense to me. Wish I would have started earlier but you think URI's/illness won't happen to your kitty....

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So does mine :) I'm going to have to order the powder kind though or look for a different lysine treat - they changed the texture and formula of the one I give to Zoa and she doesn't like them anymore >_<

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We do the 500mg 2xday for each of the nakkids and Fuzzy gets half that right now. I have to say I think it has helped tremendously with this last bout of URI when we brought Fuzzy into the house.

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The vet said today that Lysine is only effective against herpes virus hmmmm I believe her but also going to do some more research. I read on other purebred cat forums that lots of breeders use, as well as owners of purebred cats. I think it seems to be believed it us one of those things that it certainly can't hurt them. A friend was told to take it from a naturopath regularly to prevent cold sores ( herpes virus) which I thought interesting ... I just wonder what everyone else thinks about it boosting immune function for non herpes related URI's in cats? Wonder if there is research supporting its usage...

Back