Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Leaving my sphynx kitten home alone! Help!

Baby Luna

Lairian
So I just brought my baby home a week ago, it's been the best week having her home and bonding with her. She's only a few months old, and I'm terrified to leave her tomorrow to go to work.
She sleeps for a few hours, then plays for about 2 hours, and I've been here to play everytime she gets up. Our apartment is small and I have blankets and cat trees and toys...exc.
I don't think shes interested in cords, and electric wires but I'm worried about that. I'm worried about her falling off her cat tree, getting stuck or hurting herself! She's fallen off the cat tree once already. I put blankets around it.
All the posts I've read say she'll probably sleep all day, but should i leave the TV on? What if she gets up and wants to play, I wonder what she'll get into. Ive pretty much kitten proofed , but how nerve racking this is to think about. Any suggestions? It's obviously my first time dealing with this!

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was worried to when I first got my first boy but you know what he did fine you'll find he'll spend his time sleeping and looking out a window but predominantly happily sleeping in s nice warm bundle of blankets

Toa and Ross

Staff member
This sounds so familair! The first day I had to go to work again after I got my boys I was so nervous. I worried all day and thought about whatever they could have gotten into. And when I came home? They were fine. Not even one toy was on another place then where it was the morning I left. Think they slept all day. The next day I was still worried but a little more relaxed. And so on.

My boys recognize the sound of my bycicle now. So when I open the door they stand in front of it ready for some cuddles. It's good coming home when you're owned by a sphynx (or two):).

Good luck tomorrow!

RoobasMommy

Lairian
As you can tell from the above replies, you are not the only one that felt this way :) It's normal to feel worried, your a new mom! Unless you get a webcam set up that you can check on your phone/work computer, it will likely be a stressful week for you! The best I can offer is reassurance that your baby will likely be better than you will be, haha! She will explore your apartment and learn to play without you, but mostly I am sure she will sleep!

And as Toa and Ross mentioned, they learn the sound of your transportation. All three of my cats creep in the window when I turn onto my street, and by the time I pull in to my driveway they are already at the door to greet me (and that is even when my hubby is home) :)

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm lucky to work from home (both Hubby and I), but the first time we both had to leave the house at the same time was STRESSFUL. The entire time out we were wondering what Max was doing as he is a very active kitty.

He seems to sleep mostly while not at home, but he does get into mischief on occasion (we came home once and he tore the cushy perimeter off the top of his cat tree because it was fun :jawdrop: ). He is also very good at playing solo and we find toys rearranged. But mostly he sleeps.

And like others, he learns the sound of us coming home and waits for us in the window, ready to tell us about the two hours we left him alone! LOL

But I think they do well.

Sphynx also seem very resilient physically. Max has had a few spills in front of me, and while I freaked out, he was just fine. Silly cats!

I think it's harder on us than them.

beckicu

Lairian
If you would feel less stressed maybe you can restrict baby Luna to one room when you're gone while she's so young , as long as she's got food, water & litterbox it doesn't matter if it's a small room since she will probably just sleep...if you're less stressed you'll be happier & little Luna will be happier too!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Have a good working day!

Luna, we heared your home alone for the first time today! First you will miss you mommy but yu know what? It's fun to be home alone cause you can do all things your mommy doesn't want you to. But don't do dangerous things! And the best part of being home alone is when your mommy comes back home! Toa and Ross

LokisMom

Lairian
We brought Loki home 3 weeks ago. We were home with him 4 days before we had to go back to work. I know exactly how you feel I'm always worried what if he gets into something or gets lonely.

We keep him in our bedroom when we aren't home and have everything Loki proof. He has plenty of toys, blankets, food and water. And I leave the tv on.

He seems to be ok with it. We are both happy to see each other when I get home!

Give Luna extra kisses and cuddles!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Baby Luna , give extra kisses to sweet baby Luna!

I also confined to my bedroom at first with all the necessities and extra throw blankets left on the bed.
Like you are doing already, Kitty proof all cords , strings, wrappers, bread ties etc
And hide kitty treat bags! Mine chew them open when I am gone! Lesson learned here :)

I do hide a couple treats in various places when I leave :)
Leaving on the TV and or radio

*** personally , I remove any clothing sweaters or shirts when I am not home
Just tht other day my kitty got even her short nail snagged on her shirt ( and I do nails 2x a week)

** I do not leave on any heaters or heated blankets.

You can also get window film for any sunny window spots she may find and/or move a cat tree to indirect lightening area window so no long sunbathing while you are gone.

She will find a nice warm place to snuggle and be a ball of fire to play and greet her mum with lots of love n kisses when you come home- they are smart and like the routine they pick up very quickly

Now ... Breathe :)

Have a purrfect day!

Last edited:

Baby Luna

Lairian
Thank you, Thank you and thank you! This made my fears alittle easier to deal with! So.... we left her with toys and only access to the living room, kitchen,and bathroom where her litter box is. Our apartment is small so we put blankets and toys out everywhere. I triple checked everything before leaving like a crazy person! I left her with the hot pursuit toy going and flew out! Then watched her for a sec hop around and play. My boyfriend checked on her a few hours later and was smothered with kisses, and followed to the door. He said it was really hard to go when she was watching him like she knew he was leaving :( it might be worse to check on her and leave , idk! Anyway when I got home she was asleep in her kitty mansion, and was very happy to see me. She kissed my face raw and passed out! Overall it was ok, except for the checking in. That was very upsetting. Her sitting there watching the door. When she's older it will be ok but for now it's hard to leave my baby! We will see how it goes.....this is when I got home
IMG_20150721_173254.jpg

Baby Luna

Lairian
Thank you, Thank you and thank you! This made my fears alittle easier to deal with! So.... we left her with toys and only access to the living room, kitchen,and bathroom where her litter box is. Our apartment is small so we put blankets and toys out everywhere. I triple checked everything before leaving like a crazy person! I left her with the hot pursuit toy going and flew out! Then watched her for a sec hop around and play. My boyfriend checked on her a few hours later and was smothered with kisses, and followed to the door. He said it was really hard to go when she was watching him like she knew he was leaving :( it might be worse to check on her and leave , idk! Anyway when I got home she was asleep in her kitty mansion, and was very happy to see me. She kissed my face raw and passed out! Overall it was ok, except for the checking in. That was very upsetting. Her sitting there watching the door. When she's older it will be ok but for now it's hard to leave my baby! We will see how it goes.....this is when I got home View attachment 60175

I hope the people that commented get alerted of my reply without the tag :/

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Baby Luna : aaw what a cute pic of you and Luna together.
So Luna already learned the "feel quilty look when you leave me alone" on her first day. My boys always give me this look when I leave. They stand with their paws and noses attached to the window giving me THE look.
Prepare yourself for Luna giving you this look when your leaving;).

Happy to hear everything went well on her first home alone day!

ArkenBillsmom

Lairian
Yep it all seems normal to me. I have had my Billie since April and he has adjusted very well. Right now I have left him home alone after his neutering. So, I am a little nervous about that but he usually does very well home alone.

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It's even hard for me now leaving my 2 alone during the day. I've even thought about getting one of those cameras to spy on them - and talk to them!!
When I first got Dexter, I had roommates so he was never alone. I got Gemma because I knew I was moving out and wouldn't want Dex to be lonely. (Great excuse for another I wanted to badly!)
I still worry about them every day. I'm always so relieved when I get home and there they are jumping up and down excited to see me!

Baby Luna

Lairian
It's even hard for me now leaving my 2 alone during the day. I've even thought about getting one of those cameras to spy on them - and talk to them!!
When I first got Dexter, I had roommates so he was never alone. I got Gemma because I knew I was moving out and wouldn't want Dex to be lonely. (Great excuse for another I wanted to badly!)
I still worry about them every day. I'm always so relieved when I get home and there they are jumping up and down excited to see me!

Aww I think I'll always worry as well. Tomorrow will be Lunas second day by herself, by boyfriend stayed home the past 2 days with her , I'm sure she'll be in my head all day!!! I thought about the cameras! Sounds like a great idea!

Back