Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nail clipping

FeyAngel

Lairian
I have searched many posts out there, but am not finding what I am looking for. What do you all find to be the best thing to use for nail clipping? I have seen some people say they use people nail clippers but other says pet nail clippers. I am getting ready to go visit my local Wal Mart to pick up some Dawn dish soap for a bath, and am trying to find out what else I need to get. My breeder said she uses pet nail clippers as it's safer. Recommendations please! Thank you!

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have searched many posts out there, but am not finding what I am looking for. What do you all find to be the best thing to use for nail clipping? I have seen some people say they use people nail clippers but other says pet nail clippers. I am getting ready to go visit my local Wal Mart to pick up some Dawn dish soap for a bath, and am trying to find out what else I need to get. My breeder said she uses pet nail clippers as it's safer. Recommendations please! Thank you!

I use baby nail clippers they seem to be sharper! I use dawn soap too it makes then squeaky clean!!!!!

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have used both, but lately I've been using pet clippers. I use the ones that look like scissors. I think I like them best.

Yoda mom

Staff member
My favorite are the blue rubber coated cat nail clippers with the little extra curved bar on one side -( the only type I like to use - I am left handed and use clippers in both hands) I find them easier to work with and easy to hold the clippers and see the nails- they are still sharp after many years of trimming-

Recently I ordered the petco cat nail trimmer with the extra curved bar on it-was on sale online - used it for the first time and noticed it has thicker hard plastic black handle- it did the job but I still arm liking the real rubber coated cat mail trimmers with the little curved bar extension. I will have to look on,ine tossed if they even make those anymore.

I have used the human kind too- works fine too -

**I would Experiment .. It's a personal preference I think- see which feels better in your hand and works best on your kitties nails.. My boys have thick nails... My little girl has tiny petite nails I can use human clippers on very easily - I like the kitty clippers for my boys

@curlysue , like the dawn dish soap idea! How are you using it in combination with nail trimming?

pashtcat

Lairian
I prefer clippers that look like little hooked scissors. I've tried the human clippers, but found that they can splinter the claw and leave rough edges. Also, the scissors have grips that make it easier to hold onto them while Puddz struggles. Good luck!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We use regular people nail clippers as seen in the video.

Back