pimples blackheads acne question

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by butterb33rs, Apr 28, 2013.

1. butterb33rs

butterb33rs Senior Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $577.96
    when I squeeze his chin white stringy gunk comes out and its so gross but it doesn't look like he has any pimples or acne ?? whats going on

2. Lindsay

Lindsay Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $682.31
    I have the same issue with Romeo and am wondering if there is anything out there that can be used on it to clear it up and keep it away. :Question:

3. Graddydani

Graddydani Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $184.31
    It's normal. He is a male (they're more prone to blackheads and oily skin) Some witch hazel could help but also good exfoliation and less washes to reduce the oil build up

4. GoldHazel

GoldHazel Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $32,228.45
    • Blue Sphynx
    • Red Sphynx
    • Green Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    My 18 year old red and white tabby (which now lives with my married daughter) used to have a big issue with huge blackheads on his chin.

When I took him to the vet a million years ago, the first thing that the vet asked me was, "Do you use a plastic bowl for his food?" I was blown away and my answer was, "Yes!"

My vet explained that the oils in the cat's food get absorbed into the plastic bowls and when they eat, they are constantly having their chins in this gunk that we can't even see.

That WAS the last time I ever used a plastic bowl for any of my dogs or cats. I use stainless steel, glass, ceramic...just NO more plastic for anything that they eat or drink out of.

He also told me to use alcohol on a cotton ball right on his chin. Witch Hazel is fine too. I can't tell you how many huge blackheads I've squeezed out of his chin. YUK! LOL

I'm always on the look-out for any sign of acne on my three sphynx boys' chins though because they don't have hairy chins to help absorb the oils from their skin, etc. even though they don't eat from plastic bowls.

I also wash down my three sphynx boys' faces just about once a day with a warm, damp paper towel and especially gently scrub their lips and chin areas as food and oils tend to accumulate and just sit there. Their lips on the sides are especially caked with food a lot. You can't see it from looking at them when their mouths are closed. You just have to "get in there" and use a gentle back and forth motion with the damp cloth to remove it. Almost like brushing teeth, except it's lips.

Hope this was helpful.

5. susi794

susi794 Moderator Staff Member

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $30,956.73
    • Scary sphynx
    • Puppy
    • Red Sphynx
    • Pink Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    You've received good advice, so don't think I have anything to add.

6. MollysMom

MollysMom Senior Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $17,322.81
    • Lady bug
    I get this on Molly too! If I remember to wipe her chin more often with a warm wet cloth it helps, but has never really gone away. I check it regularly to make sure that she doesn't have any inflamed pores that are getting red. We have never used plastic dishes and it is still there.

7. butterb33rs

butterb33rs Senior Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $577.96
    thanks guys!! i def never used plastic bowls i use stainless and ceramic and they get washed on a regular basic so i guys i just have to do squeeze checks ever so often along with his baths and face washes

8. Embracing-Joyx4

Embracing-Joyx4 V.I.P Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $34,605.90
    • Blue Sphynx
    You received good advise, no plastic bowls and judt eben what I like to do is a quick wipe up with a baby wipe a few times a day . after wet food especially

9. btfeick1973

btfeick1973 Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $977.93
    I have a blackhead problem with my oldest Devon.
    I can wipe her chin and it looks like I was rubbing the towel in dirt because of her blackheads.

10. Mrs Biggleworth

Mrs Biggleworth Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $1,024.29
    Hi, I have had an acne problem with my Sphynx boy. I have just changed to plastic bowls and have been wiping his chin down daily with a baby wipe. I'm hoping this will do the trick.

11. Catzzzmeow

Catzzzmeow Moderator Staff Member

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $145,387.62
    • Scary sphynx
    Try stainless or ceramic bowls...wiping definitely will help too.

12. assibassi

assibassi Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $26,520.70
    • Orange Sphynx
    • Scary sphynx
    • Scary Ghost
    • Chick
    i was talking to my Vet , she did say also that I use "witch hazel" is good because its not as strong as like alcohol.

13. Mrs Biggleworth

Mrs Biggleworth Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $1,024.29
    Sorry I have just read my comment, I meant to say have changed from plastic bowls to stainless steel..

Catzzzmeow likes this.
  14. behindblueeyes

behindblueeyes New Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $182.74
    One of my boys "romeo" gets blackheads & I have noticed another one of my boys getting them also.. I just wash them alot more it's a pain but all well. I do notice not as many blackheads when they have shirts on, my guess is the oil is getting into the shirts & it helps keep the skin dry when they are all bundled under the covers getting steamy lol I can put a shirt on them right after a bath and the shirt is brown in 2 days! oh and these are most "hairless" boys "sticky balds" maybe that has something to do with it idk

15. alana447

alana447 Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $249.69
    Hi I've had the blackhead issue with Lodai since I first got him---I took him to the vet and pointed it out (my regular vet wasn't in) soooo we saw the vet that was in---she tried to tell me it was some form of herpes----Lets just say I don't think she knew anything about the breed and lets just say "grasping at straws"---basically, B.S.----it's just blackheads and white heads---clogged pores---I squeeze his little chin about every other week---then use a wet, cold water paper towel (cold--to help close the pores)---the process is a pain he hates it and I hate it--Oh the drama--but it needs to be done---Hope this helps good luck to both of you