Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
These cats are going to be the death of me! Ugh. There has been three times ever, which have all been recently, where one of them has pooped outside the litter box (each time on the carpet). Each time it is when we are out of the house for a few hours (3-5 hours), never at night where they are left alone (they are not allowed in our bedroom anymore, as they keep Nathan awake (he has narcolepsy) for about 8-8.5 hours each night. I have no idea which of the four cats it is either. Does anyone have any ideas on what we should do? We already have multiple litter boxes, they are just all in one large room. Any help is welcomed. I just can't have this become a bigger issue, as I am pregnant again and can't clean the cat poop up while my husband is at work and I can't have my toddler play around the house and find a surprise pile of kitty poop!

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We have been at this house since April. No real changes since then. The litter boxes are in the same spot that they have been in since we moved in. This is the only time we have ever had this issues (started a couple weeks ago, then it happen last week and not again today) and it is only when we are out of the house, so I am worried I wont be able to figure out which cat it is and resolve the issue(s). We have moved several times with the cats as well and even then no issues. This is just so stressful. Thanks for sharing the link. I will look at it now. I tried looking up poop issues and was scrolling through threads but didn't see that one. Thanks :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Did you start using a new cleaner in or around the box? Anything noisy near the litter box that wasn't before? Also I don't recall how old your babies are. We have seen recently a couple of members share that their seniors are having "moments" and not making it to the box. Also there is a product called Kitty Attract Litter. Maybe you can buy a box of it and another new litter box and try that mixed with their regular litter to see see if it attracts like it is supposed to. I am sure it is stressful.

Patti

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
No new cleaners in or around the boxes. Nothing has really changed with the boxes recently. Cats are 8, 4, 3 and 2. The issue has only happened 3 times, all in the same spot as well. I may have to get a box of the kitty attract when I go to get a new litter box as well as a new type of cleaner as well for the spot on the carpet. I am also thinking it might be Emma (3 yrs), her and Fire Truck"s (4 yrs) relationship has shifted a bit in recent months. They each have a different definition of what they think playing is and she gets annoyed easily with him. I am hoping it is not him bullying her in attempts to play while we are out of the house and is preventing her from getting the the boxes.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Be sure it is an enzymatic cleaner to clean up the area the cat has pooped on. Might be because it happened once they smell it and think it is okay.

If you think there is bullying and stress in the house other idea is Feliway diffusers. They are not cheap, but many members have had success and vets recommend it as well. You can look on Amazon for a better price. If I can think of anything else, I will let you know.

Patti

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Let us know how it works out. I recommended it to my in laws for a cat stressed and over grooming and she was very surprised her vet said great idea and very happy it made a difference after a week. Let us know if the combo of litter and Feliway work. Fingers crossed.

Patti

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I will def keep you updated! I am going to order through amazon, I have store credit on there and I think like you said it is cheaper on their site.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
These cats are going to be the death of me! Ugh. There has been three times ever, which have all been recently, where one of them has pooped outside the litter box (each time on the carpet). Each time it is when we are out of the house for a few hours (3-5 hours), never at night where they are left alone (they are not allowed in our bedroom anymore, as they keep Nathan awake (he has narcolepsy) for about 8-8.5 hours each night. I have no idea which of the four cats it is either. Does anyone have any ideas on what we should do? We already have multiple litter boxes, they are just all in one large room. Any help is welcomed. I just can't have this become a bigger issue, as I am pregnant again and can't clean the cat poop up while my husband is at work and I can't have my toddler play around the house and find a surprise pile of kitty poop!
Do you have 4 litter boxes? The general rule of thumb is one box per cat. If not, place the fourth in the spot they/ he has been pooping in after cleaning it thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner. :)

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We have 3, and getting a 4th one now. I however can not put the box in the spot where they have being having their poos, as it is in the area my 13 months old plays. So I can't put a box in the living room. :(

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Looks like it is def Emma who is having the issues. She pooped in the play area (different spot than normal though) today with me home and in the same room as her,and when she went it was not even 2 feet from my son. The other cats were sleeping in the other room too, no where near the boxes. The diffuser has not came in yet, but I get an emergency vet appt later today for her. I hope we can get this figured out.

Timmy & the Twins

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sometimes it is just stress induced. If the cat is stressed and you can lessen that she may start using the litter again like normal.

Our Siamese, Koko Beans was stressed when my sister had her lab at our house and we got new carpeting the same weekend. He started peeing in the living room. The dog hasn't been back and cleaned the area and he hasn't pottied there since.

We had a problem with him peeing next to his litter box too. It turned out his vision is starting to go and he couldn't see. We now have nightlights around the house so he can see at night.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@zombiequeen13 Good luck at your appointment. Please let us know what you find out and don't forget to bring your poop sample now that you know who it belongs to.

Patti

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nothing has changed around the house or anything, her interaction with Fire Truck have changed a bit. That is it. He tires to play with her and she gets upset sometimes. No new pets or people over. She gets the most attention out of the 4 cats, as she is the only one who really likes playing with my son a lot (he is 13 months). I have a vet appt for her today at 4. I hope we can figure out the issue.

@Catzzzmeow I puked in the process of bagging it up but I got the job done. So weird what pregnancy can do to your gag reflux, kitty poop has never bothered me before.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This poop issue is my life story! My answer is to get a a rubbermaid tote from walmart or wherever and cut a square in the side big enough and low enough for them to get into. This will solve the issue because the walls of the tote are too high for them to poop over the side.

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Vet said she looked healthy and that there was nothing that she could see that would be a medical issue for her pooping outside of the box. Weight is good, heart sounded good, temp was normal. She did send a stool sample off to be tested and I will get the results in a few days. She has a recheck in two weeks. So no real answers yet. :(

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Also any suggestion on trying to place extra boxes in a house where there is a 13 month old child? I do not want to keep my son pinned in a small area because cat boxes are taking over the place. It is his house as well. The vet suggested several more boxes but we have a few already and just got another one. Also she said try a different litter, we use Worlds best multi cat right now. What all do you guys use?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This poop issue is my life story! My answer is to get a a rubbermaid tote from walmart or wherever and cut a square in the side big enough and low enough for them to get into. This will solve the issue because the walls of the tote are too high for them to poop over the side.

@zombiequeen13
I bought one of the huge totes and cut the square hole in the end. It was because of the litter getting on the floor.
Thankfully I have never dealt with litterbox issues. I really like it. So does Izmae, which is all that matters, of course.
@ilovemysphynx did the same but, with a hole in the top. Hope things get straightened out for you.
I would just try to put extra where your Son isn't much.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@zombiequeen13 ,I put an extra litter box in the open gym area and one in a spare bedroom - it's a fake planter kitty box :)

" the good pet stuff hidden little box"

Litter: 1). Cats Pride - fresh n light unscented in the green plastic jug at publix grocery store Bogo sometimes I stock up ) and now mixing in to try

2) Dr Elseys precious cat unscented ultra in the blue 40 lb bag I just got at chewy.com
It is heavier then fresh n light but looks just like it

Are you using a litter box deodorizer sprinkled in that perhaps she doesn't like

**My moms spayed cat started doing this poo outside her box after a male cat was in visiting
Or sitting outside the window
She too check out fine at the vet -

I turn the hidden litter box around so the opening faces the wall -
These boxes are the most popular here- lots of room inside
And my man doesn't mind the look of this litter box style

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 27