Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question about my kitten

AnetteMR

Lairian
Hey!

Mireya is now 3 months and 18 days old and I'm wondering if it's OK for her to STILL be nursing on her momma??? Mom doesn't seem to care at all and she probably would never shoo her away. But mommas nipples are so swollen and look painful... But the kitten just won't stop suckling.
She eats normally her Royal Canin solid food and after that - she instantly goes back to nursing even tho she is full!!! And after that her belly looks so round all the time. Should or can I do something?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Its
Hey!

Mireya is now 3 months and 18 days old and I'm wondering if it's OK for her to STILL be nursing on her momma??? Mom doesn't seem to care at all and she probably would never shoo her away. But mommas nipples are so swollen and look painful... But the kitten just won't stop suckling.
She eats normally her Royal Canin solid food and after that - she instantly goes back to nursing even tho she is full!!! And after that her belly looks so round all the time. Should or can I do something?
Generally the mother cat will wean the kittens herself, 3 months is much too long however. Removing from the mother cat too soon can have a negative effect on the kittens’ health and socialization skills—they learn to eat, use a litter box and play, by observing the mother cat.

I would place the kitten in a separate area for a few hours at a time to reduce their dependency on mother’s milk and her overall presence. Put them in their own room with a litter box and food/ water bowls. As the kittens become more independent, they can spend more time away from their mother until they are completely weaned. :)

Back