Second Sphynx a Third Wheel?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Vanessacollins08, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Vanessacollins08

Vanessacollins08 Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $39.00
    Hello sphynx lovers. Jasper is our 9 month old sphynx and we love him to death. He loves us too - he follows us around, comes when he's called, and always gives us his attention and acknowledgement whenever we're around. He's everything we want from a sphynx.

We're considering getting a second sphynx but are concerned that maybe this will affect the relationship that we have with Jasper - he may ignore us more and focus his attention and affection on the new sphynx. He may defer to the new sphynx's personality and become less outgoing, playful, and expressive.

We want a new sphynx but don't want to jeopardize our wonderful relationship with Jasper.

Has anyone experienced this scenario? How did it play out?

2. kimmyhm

kimmyhm V.I.P Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $7,135.64
    Yes you get double the love, best move I made, their the best of friends and I have 2 cuddle buddies in bed. :)

3. Vanessacollins08

Vanessacollins08 Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $39.00
    So your relationship with your first sphynx remained unchanged after the addition of the second sphynx?

4. Snowball

Snowball Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $50.00
    It most likely won't happen. Jasper will still follow you and your husband around and still give you guys loads of attention. What age is the new Sphynx going to be? If the new Sphynx is going to be a kitten, most likely what will happen is that the new Sphynx will end up following Jasper around and treat him as it's role model and you might end up with not only one, but two Sphynx who will give you both extra love.

When I travel with Pebbles and he meets my two other dogs who now belongs to my parents, he still follows me around, even after 72 hours of being around another pet. Your baby will not lose it's personality because he has a new playmate. He might be much more active with the other Sphynx if you or your husband are not around, but don't be afraid of getting another Sphynx because you don't want Jasper to pay less attention to you guys. Who knows, Jasper might pay extra attention when he realizes another cat is going to take both your attentions away from him. :Wink:

I wish you luck in your decision. I wish I can get another Sphynx for Pebbles to play with when I'm at work but because we have financial issues right now, we can't afford another playmate for him or else we can't even afford to buy him food, so I buy him lots of toys to keep him company when I'm gone. He has over 50 toys at the moment. Plus two beds and two blankies. Keep the lair posted on your decision and good luck!:Smile:

5. Vanessacollins08

Vanessacollins08 Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $39.00
    Awesome. Thanks snowball. Thats awesome to know that Jasper's personality won't change, and we could have two cats that treat us that way. The new sphynx will definitely be a kitten - 12 weeks or so.

6. kimmyhm

kimmyhm V.I.P Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $7,135.64
    No the relationship hasn't changed, I think we all stress about what effect a new baby will have. Their both very affectionate :thumbup:

7. Snowball

Snowball Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $50.00
    Aww I am so jealous! You are getting another baby! Lol. I wish I can afford another one at the moment. It would be so cool to have two Sphynx that loves you a lot and you welcome! I hope you post lots of pictures of the newcomer and have you decided on a name yet? My Pebbles is about to be 9 months old in 3 days and he still acts like he's 4 months old. He's neutered but I did tell him as a joke that if he wants to attract the ladies, he needs to start acting mature, otherwise he won't get a girlfriend! :Hysterical:

8. ZiggyStardust

ZiggyStardust Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $13,108.78
    • butterfly 4
    • Blue Sphynx
    • Black Sphynx
    • Dragon fly
    • Lamb
    Ash still cuddles with me and sleeps in my arms, but now he has a playmate that can keep up with him and he cuddles with Gizzy when we're not home.