Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Should I take my Sphynxes in the car?

Aja

Lairian
I'm visiting my parents this weekend and i'm very nervous about leaving Herbie (5 months) and Pearl (13 months) alone. I plan on hiring a pet sitter to come over to feed and check in on them.. but i was also considering taking them on the journey with me. However the car ride is 6 hours and we will only remain at our destination for 2 full days... would this be too much stress for them? or would it be better to leave them behind? Thanks!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Aja If you have a great sitter, I would leave them home. They will eat and sleep and be less stressed. 2 days will go fast. We have left ours home with a sitter stopping in for 8 days and they were happy as clams. Taking them to another place can be stressful on them. Go and enjoy!

Patti

Aja

Lairian
Thanks Patti. You're right. I think leaving them here would be a lot less stressful for them. I will hire a sitter and have a friend stop by to make sure they're ok!

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Unless they use to being taken in trips which is usually a gradual process I'd go wit Patti's advise

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would leave them. They will be just fine :)

A good pet sitter can even send you updates and photos and a weekend is not long at all!

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I took Yuri and Nigel on a four hour road trip the day after Yuri had surgery due to not being able to leave him alone. I took my dogs large crate and put it in the back of my car with a blanket covering it on three sides, but the front open so that we could see them. They did extremely well on the car ride this way. No stress at all. But Yuri was very drugged up and Nigel is dumb so he doesn't get stressed.

When we were at my in laws we kept them in a bedroom locked up when we were out. They did just fine.

Every cat is different. Go with what makes you more comfortable.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We always have a sitter, my Sister. We make our plans on her days off. She gets 7 days in a row every month.
So this is great for her and us. Izmae hasn't traveled and I wouldn't just up and take her.
She would be so stressed out, I would be afraid to and I couldn't enjoy myself.
I wouldn't leave her to go anywhere so why go? If you have someone you trust, leave her home.

dejavually

Lairian
I have travelled with my sphynx across the country and it was not bad at all my sphynx is well trained when it comes to cars and being outside with leashes and such prior though but still lay some pee pee pads around the whole car and they sleep away i have heated leather seats in my car so thats a plus....but its easy just keep the temp perfect for them bring a crate and food and snacks pee pee pads treats water and have fun just be aware.......leave her home if you can...but if your up to it bring her along...people love to see sphynx cats in cars......your sphynx will def steal the attention.....oh just watch out for them crawling under ur feet that can be extremely dangerous.

:)

OnyxSphynx

Lairian
Onyx jumps to the door every time I go out or even when I'm getting dressed to go out. I put the carrier on the floor and open the door and he runs into it to come. I keep toys in there, and his small blanket. I have a box with litter and a scooper already in my trunk in case we go for a ride. I trained him not to go on the floor on the driver side but he's fallen asleep in my lap. I keep the door of the carrier open facing forward so it slants back so he can go in and out as he wishes. If it's a long drive I keep the litter box on the floor of the backseat but he's never gone there. I put his blanket down on the floor on the passenger side and that's where he likes to fall asleep because it's warm and he sees me. He loves the adventure and gets so curious about where we're going. He loves to be with me and other people and plays and plays. Be sure to give your baby plenty of water and the option to go in and out of his carrier when at a strange place for him. He'll just want to be with you and his blanket will make him comfortable. Six hours is a long drive so be prepared to stop a few times to stretch his legs etc. and get some fresh air. Make sure s/he's tired out before the trip so s/he falls asleep in the car, just like children. That's my two cents. Have a great trip either way.

Last edited:
Back