Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx and other breeds?

Trinity Taylor

Lairian
Hello
I currently have a 1 yr old Sphynx who we adore! He is super friendly and crazy. He is an only cat and I'm really thinking about adding another. I keep going back and forth with Sphynx vs Exotic Shorthair. (Yes I know... two ends of the spectrum)
My question is to the people that have a Sphynx with other breeds. Do they do well together? I'm wanting a bit calmer cat but with still a great personality. What experiences have people had with bringing a second kitty into the home? Our fear is that it could ruin the relationship that we all have with our Sphynx.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We have a Bengal and 3 hairless. They all do well with the Bengal, but my experience is Bengals are NOT a calm breed...lol.. Only now that the Bengal is 19 is it calm. To a Sphynx another cat hairy or not hairy is simply a companion for them...thank goodness they are not prejudice.

Patti

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello
I currently have a 1 yr old Sphynx who we adore! He is super friendly and crazy. He is an only cat and I'm really thinking about adding another. I keep going back and forth with Sphynx vs Exotic Shorthair. (Yes I know... two ends of the spectrum)
My question is to the people that have a Sphynx with other breeds. Do they do well together? I'm wanting a bit calmer cat but with still a great personality. What experiences have people had with bringing a second kitty into the home? Our fear is that it could ruin the relationship that we all have with our Sphynx.
I think sphynx fair well with any type of cat breed or dog in my experience. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Trinity Taylor, I saw your post in the rescue section looking for a friend for Toad :)
to include special needs sphynx too :)

with your experience , love and dedication to animals I believe any kitty would be blessed to be Toad's
Friend.

As you can see from others pics on the gallery, there are many sphynx with all breeds of kitties getting along great!

I have all adoptees - a Bengal and 4 Sphynx together too :)

I had bengals for 20 years and can tell you each is different- my sphynx as a whole have been outgoing monkeys :)
I have had bengals that are very vocal, mischievous, lap kitties, cuddlers..
to the more shy quiet reserved personalities- (F1,2, 3 , 4 etc)
Bengals are often not what people expect and too many end up in shelters and a lot are listed on the rescue site you can get email alerts for all breeds.

So I would have to say it all depends on the kitty.

***If you are looking to rescue/adopt , I would try to find a personality /energy fit in any breed so they can run wild and play together!

"Super friendly and crazy" :) as you describe Toad- which is like my Toby youngster. He plays tough.
My Bengal the oldest and prefers to watch the nakeds run amuck together

I don't think adding friend for Toad will ruin your relationship with him-
I brought in 4 adoptee nakeds that run like a herd and all cuddle with us together and separately
There is just less room on the bed now :)

sbrownw

Lairian
These are my two babies! I have Mischka a Devon Rex on the left, and Tobin a Sphynx on the right! I just adopted Tobin a little more than a month ago and my two love each other. I've heard Devons are very similar to sphynxes. Sneaky, comical, extremely loving and all they want to do is be around you. Tobin is a kitten and is much more energetic and such a trouble maker (just the other day, he swallowed a sewing needle that I had no idea was even in my house and we had to pay $900+ in vet bills) but I would recommend Devons to everyone. They are the funniest, friendliest little cats

Attachments

• 20150624_173046(0).jpg
    20150624_173046(0).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 18

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@susi794 has both Sphynxes and an Exotic Shorthair. And right now, we have 2 Sphynxes and one feral-born longhair white cat. When we brought Cleopatra home 4 years ago (it seems like yesterday!), she joined a clowder of 3 white furry cats. Sometimes it's hard to remember, but Sphynxes really are cats, and they get along just fine with other cats, furry or not. My biggest worry is that Marcus likes to wash the longhair, Sydney, and I'm afraid that he will get hairballs too!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Toad will be happy with a friend of his own, fur or no fur! I only have two naked boys so can't say anything about other breeds. Just want to wish you luck with finding the perfect friend for Toad and you!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi, I have a sphynx and a Bengal, they get on great and are good company for each other. I got the Bengal as a kitten (14 weeks) when my sphynx was around 8 months old. there was a bit off hissing etc. for a day or two then they became the best buddies ever! My sphynx is also good with my mums dog and he doesn't seem bothered by neighbours cats either!

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My sphynxies share their home with a Bengal and a who knows what kind of cat, plus a dog. They all get along.

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So many bengal owners here, wow!

We have a maine coon girl who came to us just a few weeks before our naked did. They play very well together, the coon can keep up with the sphynx no problem. Sometimes she even pounces on him while he's asleep to get him to play o_O

Back