Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

madi

Lairian
I have
I am by no means an expert on anything but I do find genetics very interesting and have done a ton of research on sphynx colors and patterns. I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where people can ask their color questions and we can try to figure out the answers as a group. Hopefully I’ve put it in the right section. I’ll start us off by posting some of the basic questions that come up a lot and we can add to it.

What is the difference between Point and Mink?

Both are called “thermal” because they are born pale and their color develops on the cooler parts of their bodies as they grow.

Pointed cats have blue eyes. They have a tendency to have more contrast between body and extremity colors than Mink cats. The Point gene in Sphynx is the same as in Siamese.

This is a Seal Point with White
View attachment 19962
Same Seal Point as a kitten -
View attachment 19966

Mink cats have aqua eyes. They have a tendency to have less contrast aka more similar body and extremity colors than Pointed cats. The Mink genes in Sphynx are the same as in Tonkinese (which is one Burmese [amber eye] gene and one Siamese [blue eye] gene present at the same time)

This is a Seal (aka Natural) Mink with White
View attachment 19963 View attachment 19965

Is my cat blue?

Blue cats are basically black cats with an extra gene that makes them dilute. Their nose leather and paw pads will be steely blue, not black. Telling them apart can take some practice since most black sphynx don’t really look dark black, they look more gray. Blue cats usually have mint green eyes unless they are Blue Point or Blue Mink.

I don’t have a solid so here is a Blue Cream (which is the dilute version of a black and orange Tortie) she is a darker example of a Blue Cream.
View attachment 19968
I have a chocolate point baby girl and she is soo cute.☺️☺️☺️

MCLetter

Lairian
Hey all - I'm new to Sphynx life and wondering what color my girl is! Thanks everyone!
image1.JPG
image2.PNG
image3.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2288.JPG
    IMG_2288.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 83

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
So I've had my little Dobby for a couple months now, and his coloration has changed, a bit with his face darkening. My friend who had the kittens thought he was a Mink - to me he looks like some kind of pointed. Frequently mistaken for a siamese, by strangers, and one vet tech who I guess wasn't close enough to see the lack of fur. This pic was taken my little creature today, in the sunlight. As a kitten he appeared to have very little coloration, then his ears and nose became noticeably darker, now most of his face is dark, and the darkness has continued to creep up from his paws and tail. I assume he'll be all darker toned, either black or Seal. Any one have a clearer idea?
SleepyDobs.jpg

KitKat26

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So I've had my little Dobby for a couple months now, and his coloration has changed, a bit with his face darkening. My friend who had the kittens thought he was a Mink - to me he looks like some kind of pointed. Frequently mistaken for a siamese, by strangers, and one vet tech who I guess wasn't close enough to see the lack of fur. This pic was taken my little creature today, in the sunlight. As a kitten he appeared to have very little coloration, then his ears and nose became noticeably darker, now most of his face is dark, and the darkness has continued to creep up from his paws and tail. I assume he'll be all darker toned, either black or Seal. Any one have a clearer idea?
View attachment 64155
Ya, Piper looks nothing like my thumbnail photo now. She is a seal point and was pretty light in color with dark point markings and now she is pretty dark, almost dark grey and the points have spread on her face quite a bit.

Ty Flea

Lairian
IMG_20150509_104916.jpg
IMG_20151005_092233.jpg

What would you call this guy then. He's got a orange and white flame on his nose, his ears are orange then fade into white, his tale is banded orange and white, and his back is splotched light orange and white.

AlexaEels

Lairian
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So I am still not clear on what colour Seymour is. I have been told he is a blue and white, a tuxedo, a tabby, and some silver something or other. He is getting lighter then he was a few weeks ago. He is a light black dare I say silver? He has the cutest little black lips and strips on his legs and tail. I think he is a tabby but really have no idea. Not that I care what colour he is, but it is nice to have an idea :)

linathehuman

Lairian
Wondering if anyone could help pinpoint what our little girl Mavis is? Her sisters are classic calico. But Mavis doesn't have the brown mixed in with her grey markings.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7454.JPG
    IMG_7454.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 113
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 104

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wondering if anyone could help pinpoint what our little girl Mavis is? Her sisters are classic calico. But Mavis doesn't have the brown mixed in with her grey markings.

@linathehuman I would say, "Tortie", but she's still changing. What does the breeder call her? I think the coloring on her nose might be considered lynx, but don't quote me on that. Depending on what color her eyes will be, that might change what color she'd be considered. Blue eyes = point and aqua eyes = mink.

OurSphynxFamily

Lairian
Can anyone help me decide what colour my new girl is? Her breeder told me she is tabby and white.. But the fine fur over her body is more of a creamy colour and her patches on her head and tail have no tabby stripes.
Any help greatly appreciated! :D

6a2681c31d846da2db94e44dd18f8587.jpg

Sent from my SMART 4G Plus using Tapatalk

Cleos mom

Lairian
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This my baby Cleo. I'm thinking She is blue. I'm not sure. This is my first sphynx kitty. Well first kitty ever ( I'm severely allergic but not to Cleo for some reason. ) she is 9 weeks old and weighs one pound. She's very cuddly here's a pic. What do you all think? Also eye color. Mom has ice blue eyes dad has green. First pic Cleo second is mom and dad

Cleos mom

Lairian
@Cleos mom I would go with blue too unless there is any barring/stripes and then she is blue tabby. Her mum and dad are lookers. I love the tabby pattern on her dad.
Thanks!! we love her! It's like having our own personal gargoyle..haha. She is always on our shoulder. she is definitely solid grey, no stripes. I was thinking that her mom looks Siamese-ish.. and I love her blue eyes...

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks!! we love her! It's like having our own personal gargoyle..haha. She is always on our shoulder. she is definitely solid grey, no stripes. I was thinking that her mom looks Siamese-ish.. and I love her blue eyes...

@Cleos mom her mom looks Siamese-ish because she's a blue point. If she had aqua eyes instead of the blue eyes, she'd be Tonkinese-ish.

Sphynx mama

Lairian
I am wondering........at what age do kittens develop their colors? I have 2 little boys who are 3 wks old now and haven't changed from the pink they were born with, so my question is will the now stay this color or can the still change??

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Sphynx mama here are photos two weeks apart of Valentine's litter with two black boys, two Blue point boys and a tortie girl. The blue boys and tortie girl were all pink at birth and definitely started showing colors by week 1 at least.
42a7019e6050beda6f53c0a7fe02b91d.jpg
27c6987dcd08a34a144a3a0dca07cdfb.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Sphynx mama I think you are inquiring about when kittens are born thermal. This means they are born white and can change color a few weeks after they are born. Not all kittens are born thermal...it is a genetic abnormality that is closely related to albinism. Our one girl was in a litter with 3 thermal kittens so we waited to make a choice until after their colors started to come through. Siamese kittens are all born thermal (born white) this is due to the heat in the mother's womb. A few weeks out they start to darken up. If you are seeing no changes when they are 4-5 weeks old then there is a good chance your pinkies will remain pink.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Sphynx mama if you look at the photo posted above with @momdeeze kittens and mama, you can compare the both photos and see that the two male blue points in the second photo are getting their points (darker ear tips, fuzz on nose, etc.). When viewing the first photo of them when they were younger, they were simply all pink. The points and the minks are born thermal and develop their color as time goes by. The points will always have blue eyes and the minks will have aqua colored eyes after the baby blue eyes go away.

Jrs4

Lairian
I was told Lily was a silver smoke?! Curious what do you think! Her eyes are green. She has a dark nose (black/brown) and brownish/brick paw pads. Ear tips and nose are darker, tail has faint stripes.
74a7cc9bbc58c7e6d33ba17a07c9c5a7.jpg

3ab648fe4609ed0021f1cf0855808a4b.jpg
a7816f172e23f33815bcf332907c5c89.jpg
adad58f8153e9ae776dc238d7199c87f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Jrs4 Lily is absolutely adorable, that's what I think. :) Quite honestly, I never heard the term, "Silver Smoke" referencing a cat's coloring. The colors you are describing of her nose leather and paw pads, etc., etc. sounds like a seal color, even though she's not Seal Point or Seal Mink because of her green eyes and the stripes on her tail. Maybe there is such a thing as "Silver Smoke". Hopefully someone will chime in knowing about that.

Back