Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx Hygiene Help

HybridSphynx

Lairian
So I finally succeeded gotcha day, not a good one but im trying to bring the best out of it for now.
I went to the store and bought:

1: Make Up Remover - for cleaning nails

2: Johnsons Baby Shampoo - For baths

3: Toys - for fun

4: Eucerin : Intensive repair - very dry skin lotion: for after bath (i think need bath details)

I watched videos on how to bathe, clean ears, nails, and wrinkles on youtube from Sphynx lair i have a couple of questions:

Do you clip the back nails and clean them?

Is Johnson's Baby shampoo a good selection shampoo for Sphynx cats?

Eurcerin Intensive repair very dry skin lotion, is this good for sphynx cats skin as well? i was told i needed to use lotion for dry skin since i live in a very dry location.

also
Does it take time for a sphynx to let you bathe and take care of them?
I ask because i recently tried to clean my sphynx's nails and she threw a fit the entire time and would not let me touch her back feet, my boyfriend had to hold her still to allow me to actually clean her nails to the point where they would be well cleansed.

My sphynx is supposedly 1 year and 8 months but she is just as big as my 3 month old Lynx point siamese.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes I clean and clip back nails

Yes that shampoo works well

I would only use the dry skin lotion when you have to..

I would give her a week to settle in before bathing. Some sphynx are better with bathing than others.

Check out the help center forum .. There are some topics on bathing, ears and nails which are helpful

:)

HybridSphynx

Lairian
Yes I clean and clip back nails

Yes that shampoo works well

I would only use the dry skin lotion when you have to..

I would give her a week to settle in before bathing. Some sphynx are better with bathing than others.

Check out the help center forum .. There are some topics on bathing, ears and nails which are helpful

:)
Thanks! i will do that. is there anything i should do before bathing? i didnt understand the bath video really well because the person was rubbing the cat down with coconut oil and then gave it a bath im just a little confused with that. Is that in the help center foruM

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I wouldn't put human lotion on her. Because she will lick herself and ingest it. Get some
baby wash with conditioner, or use olive oil or coconut oil. If she is that dry. But, don't use much
she will be greasy. I would clip her back nails. You might have to wait until she trust you more.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mine never like their back nails being clipped either. It works better with 2 people, and when they are wrapped in a blanket so they cannot squirm away. Keep in mind too that their back nails don't shed as fast as the front ones, so you won't be able to take too much off when clipping.

We live in a very dry climate too, and mine have never needed lotion. I agree and would use an oil only if they get really dry. Not a human lotion, they will eventually be licking it off.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It sounds like you have a very scared little cat. I am so sorry that you are having such a bad experience with her. Could you try a few things to make it easier for all of you? If her nails haven't been clipped or cleaned for a while, it probably won't hurt to leave them alone for at least another week. She really needs to get to know you now. Can you keep her in a relatively quiet room? Spend time with her without making any demands on her. Let her come to you when she is ready. Be there for her when she is fed and in a day or so, try playing with her with an interactive toy.

Some Sphynxies are "talkers;" we have one who is always meowing at us. As your little girl learns that you aren't going to hurt her, she should calm down with all the yowling.

We live in the desert and do not use lotion of any kind on Cleo or Marcus. We do use an oatmeal pet shampoo. Try not to bathe your girl for a while--she will be okay dirty for a while--until she trusts you more. You are doing a wonderful thing for this girl, and if you can be patient, she will trust you and be more like you expect from a Sphynx.
Hang in there, and good luck to you!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Agree with suggestions to wait to bath- I know I just want to get in there with my two bow but am taking it slow to build trust.

I microwave an unscented baby wipe for 8 - 10 seconds or rub it in my clean hands - then wipe em down as I am petting and giving treats- lol. Pre bath training :).

** I am not a big fan of makeup remover for nails- not sure of which brand you got or the ingredients-

I use an unscented baby wipe- for toes, I play with feet n treat while on my lap (I put on my dollar store cheater reading glasses so I can really see the nails good I sit on the closed toilet lid - bathroom lighting best in our house- and put kitty on my lap- petting and handling feet while putting treats on the top of my lap- building trust for the real nail trim day :) I do this for about 10 days on my newbies . I wipe inside of ears for the first week using a small round cotton cosmetic pad with a little Trizultra +keto brand I buy on line - real spa days get qtips placed on top of the cotton pads and wet both at once with ear cleaner to use. I setvup several qtip and wet pads in advance lined up on dish to make it quick and easy to clean ears- (again I wear reading glasses so I can see the inside ear better- and do in good lighting) stinks that I need reading glasses at age 50 :) but it helps

(I wanted to bath and trim nails and do ears on them so badly when I first brought them home ,but prefer building trust first- then we can be on a regular spa day routine.

I got a pair( sold in pairs at big lots) of white exfoliating gloves for $1.50 and a short Rubbermaid tough tote as a spa tub- be sure to put a towel or mat down in whatever you decide to bath in- helps them grip send the gloves help us grip kitty gently :)

I have been using aveeno baby wash and recently bought hylyt shampoo on line to try-
I do put a squirt of regular plain blue dish detergent in the bottom of prefilled wash tub to help clean nails.

I do not use any kind of lotion n kitties- just me afraid they will lick and ingest- same thought on makeup remover.

I take it slow- Make handling ears n toes , body fun with toys n treats and the trust comes sooo fast ! Toby runs to the bathroom toilet lid for spa time and petting!

Looking forward to pics of your baby on your journey together!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cattitude

Lairian
One big tip is to make sure you lay out all you need before starting the bath! That means apron, towels, shampoo, gloves, and get the water ready in the sink or tub. Be warned - some of them will figure out what you're doing, take off and hide!

Yoko the Badass detests baths, and will growl, hiss and sink teeth and claws into anything nearby. I have to catch her first and put her in a crate before getting anything else ready. Don't worry, they aren't all like that. My little Mitsou is more of a sweetheart - but she's still no fan of the bath. But when I got Yoko my first Sphynx, I ASSumed that because she had no fur and had been bathed in the past, she wouldn't mind being bathed now. Nope. She's a cat, and most cats don't like baths.

Tip Number Two: clip their claws a day or two before the bath. Freshly-clipped claws can be razor sharp, and worse than if you didn't clip.

Re oils and creams: I tried coconut oil once and ended up having to bathe Yoko again the next day... needless to say she was NOT amused! Dry skin has never been a problem for either of my baldies. I do use exfoliating gloves because they scrub the dirt off faster and you don't have to juggle a washcloth and struggling wet cat. In fact, those gloves are a godsend because they also give you a better grip. I use Johnson's baby wash now, but I've also used coconut-based organic puppy shampoo. As long as it's ok for cats and safe for the eyes. I've read that D'Grease is another good shampoo, but I've never tried it myself.

After the bath I wrap the kitty in a large bath towel. This gives the perfect opportunity to finish off the eyes and ears with cotton swabs, and I find they're easier to clean after the bath. I find the cats settle quickly when bundled up after a bath.

Re the nails, I do all four paws once a week. Even if a nail isn't quite long enough for a clip, I touch it with the clipper so the cat is used to it. I lay the cat on their back and keep a towel handy for restraint if needed. I clean the gunk using cotton swabs. I've never had much luck with wipes, for claws. I dip the swab in a bit of 99% rubbing alcohol to break down the greasy gunk. If I don't have alcohol I use hydrogen peroxide. I give the feet a wipe afterward. Cuts down on the little footy-prints all over the place!

Finally, keep the grooming and bathing sessions short at first. For example, if clipping nails and the cat becomes agitated, stop and go back to it later. Give them a special treat afterwards. You don't want them to learn to associate bad things with grooming. It took me years to train my rescue Chihuahua to stop screaming and biting every time she saw a pair of nail clippers. I'm still working on Yoko...

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Everything everyone is saying is awesome my only advice is make sure you pt a stopper in the sink or tub. My dear Fuzzy kicked the screen out f the sink drain and got his toe stuck in the drain. A trip to the pet ER to remove the drain is always stressful!!!

Back