Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The stork is coming!

silly4lilly

Lairian
Hey All!

Its been a while since I've been on here, and I have some questions and I knew this would be the perfect spot.

Background: I have one female sphynx and one chihuahua. About a month an a half ago I lost my other sphynx VERY unexpectedly. He threw a blot clot and was paralyzed, had to put him to sleep. Long story short, worst day of my life. Still cry all the time.

House hasnt been the same without him. So hubby and I decided time to get another one. This time we are getting a Peterbald since they dont have high heart disease rate. Kitten will be ready in September.

We have never had a kitten before. We got both of our sphynx's as adults.

So.................. what can we expect? Do you guys have any tips? Anything would be greatly appreciated!

I already have scratching pads and wall shelves to climb... and heated blankets :)

PS: I work from home so I will pretty much be with the new baby 24/7

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey All!

Its been a while since I've been on here, and I have some questions and I knew this would be the perfect spot.

Background: I have one female sphynx and one chihuahua. About a month an a half ago I lost my other sphynx VERY unexpectedly. He threw a blot clot and was paralyzed, had to put him to sleep. Long story short, worst day of my life. Still cry all the time.

House hasnt been the same without him. So hubby and I decided time to get another one. This time we are getting a Peterbald since they dont have high heart disease rate. Kitten will be ready in September.

We have never had a kitten before. We got both of our sphynx's as adults.

So.................. what can we expect? Do you guys have any tips? Anything would be greatly appreciated!

I already have scratching pads and wall shelves to climb... and heated blankets :)

PS: I work from home so I will pretty much be with the new baby 24/7
Glad to have you back! Sorry to hear of your loss. Just remember to quarantine the new kitten for a few days so the new kitten doesn't get your sphynx ill. Perhaps reading this thread will help with the introduction, they can sometimes be stressful - update us on the arrival! :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member

RockyMtnCatLady

Lairian
@silly4lilly I'm so sorry about your boy. I lost my boy the same way. I still cry and I still miss him. So happy for you getting a baby! That will help for sure. Watch out for signs of respiratory infections in first weeks. Apparently it's really common which I didn't know before joining this site. Also when I brought my 2 babies home I didn't have an empty room for them. I put them to bed near me in a cat bed together and with lots of blankets. I slept on the floor next to them but during the night they relocated. Needless to say I freaked and began the search. I finally heard paper crinkling in the computer desk drawer open it and sure enough there they are! I was so relieved. Make sure they have throw blankets lying around because they seem to gravitate to them to feel secure as well. Even in the heat my Tilly wants her blankies. Congratulations on your new baby!!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am excited for you new addition. I had a beloved Pbald. He was wonderful. They are a lot like having a Canadian sphynx with other little oriental quirks.
The one thing I always recommend is patience and a sense of humor. Kittens will try every last bit of patience you have and you have to learn to laugh when things go awry. Other than that lots of toys and stuff to do or they will find things to amuse themselves with.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@silly4lilly , so sorry for the loss of your boy -((hugs))) I am sure he is at to bridge pain free with my Yoda Cat and several others here who got there wings so suddenly to these tragic clots. They live in our hearts forever and ever.

I am happy you are opening your hearts to a little Peterbald Kitty - I look forward to your journey and pics with us.
PB's have the cuuuuutest faces! Full of personality!

I have adult adoptees and I am sure baby kitty mums n dads will chime in great advice

I would say triple kitty proof everyday and snuggle snuggle all your love :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Glad to see you back here. I'm so sorry for your loss. A unexpected loss must be very painful. Hope the kitten will cheer you up.

Good tips already given. I just want to add that you can expect a...tornado going through your house, a little maniac that runs over everything, knock things down and use you as his personal climbing tree. And at the moment you think the little one will drive you crazy he will drop down in your arms, starts snorring and fall a sleep,making you smile and thinking he's cute:)

silly4lilly

Lairian
Last edited:

silly4lilly

Lairian
Glad to have you back! Sorry to hear of your loss. Just remember to quarantine the new kitten for a few days so the new kitten doesn't get your sphynx ill. Perhaps reading this thread will help with the introduction, they can sometimes be stressful - update us on the arrival! :)

Thank you!!! PS- Did Kathy my mother in law tell you about Max?? Been a bad year for us

silly4lilly

Lairian
@silly4lilly I'm so sorry about your boy. I lost my boy the same way. I still cry and I still miss him. So happy for you getting a baby! That will help for sure. Watch out for signs of respiratory infections in first weeks. Apparently it's really common which I didn't know before joining this site. Also when I brought my 2 babies home I didn't have an empty room for them. I put them to bed near me in a cat bed together and with lots of blankets. I slept on the floor next to them but during the night they relocated. Needless to say I freaked and began the search. I finally heard paper crinkling in the computer desk drawer open it and sure enough there they are! I was so relieved. Make sure they have throw blankets lying around because they seem to gravitate to them to feel secure as well. Even in the heat my Tilly wants her blankies. Congratulations on your new baby!!

Thank you @RockyMtnCatLady . Will make sure I put lots of blankets around. I am kind of nervous about him chewing electronic wires and stuff....

Sorry about your boy. Such a horrible way to go. I am still in shock.

silly4lilly

Lairian
T
@silly4lilly , so sorry for the loss of your boy -((hugs))) I am sure he is at to bridge pain free with my Yoda Cat and several others here who got there wings so suddenly to these tragic clots. They live in our hearts forever and ever.

I am happy you are opening your hearts to a little Peterbald Kitty - I look forward to your journey and pics with us.
PB's have the cuuuuutest faces! Full of personality!

I have adult adoptees and I am sure baby kitty mums n dads will chime in great advice

I would say triple kitty proof everyday and snuggle snuggle all your love :)

Thank you @Yoda mom !!!! We are so excited. This is going to be a lonnnngg next two months till we get him!!!!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome back! And I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Condolences.

But so delighted that you are going to be bringing a Peterbald into the home.

As far as kittens go… They are a bundle of energy, they get into everything, and are the source of so much laughter and joy. Kitten proofing a home is a good idea, and then revisit it every day you're newly brought home kitten gets into something you didn't even think possible. Also, they are very good at giving you heart failure by jumping off things that you think they won't be able to handle, but miraculously do.

One of the things I noticed with Max is that as he grows, different parts of his body grow at different rates, causing him to be fairly clumsy when he goes through a growth spurt. While this is a source of much amusement, it was also a source of concern for myself when he slipped or fell. But, every time he did miss the mark, he was physically just fine afterwards. Sometimes a little shaken, but no worse for the wear.

Also, wearing them out with play before bed is often a good idea!

Enjoy! Looking forward to your gotcha Day.

Back