Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Toothy's at the emergency vet

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We noticed Toothy acting a little more odd than usual and took him to the vet on Saturday morning. He seemed to be full of it and after 2 suppositories he started to go again. They thought he'd get back to his old weird self after clearing out his bowels so I brought him home. He did go a couple more times, but he still continued to either wander aimlessly or sit in a corner staring at the wall. He would eat and drink, though and not vomit. Today he became less responsive, and when awake appeared unfocussed. We called our regular vet's emergency cell number and he said to take him into the emergency clinic. He's currently getting a full blood work up and x-rays. Main thoughts were either liver function or cancer. We're waiting to get results.

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The x-rays didn't show anything and the blood work came back fine except for an elevated white blood cell count. The emergency vet doctor said it could be a localized infection that didn't show up on the x-ray, but due to the neurological behavior is leaning more towards brain cancer. They're giving him IV antibiotics and are going to monitor him through the night and then I'll transfer him to our regular vet in the morning and hope to have a more concrete diagnosis then. He had gone through this problem of an elevated white blood cell count not long ago, though we never determined it's cause.

Yoda mom

Staff member
((Healing hugs )) to Toothy- my bengal went thru the high WBC cause unknown too- battled it for months - then all of a sudden it as back to normal and he lived a long happy life-- prayers , positive vibes and get well wishes sent --and extra head butt kisses to Toothy .please keep us updated

Feel better soon Toothy!

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Toothy improved dramatically through the night, so they believe brain tumor is off the table. Though the rest of the blood work came back okay, they think that some toxins may have caused a bit of brain swelling which was causing the neurological issues. They put him on a medication that draws toxins out of his system, as well as the antibiotic. He is more alert and responsive, though not back to normal yet. He'll have an ultrasound on Friday to see if the source of the infection can be found. Meanwhile I'm feeding him Hills a/d to try to get some weight and strength back. Thank you for all of your prayers for him. Though he's not out of the woods yet, it was wonderful to see him standing and talking to me this morning after see him be a limp rag doll and have what appeared to be a couple of seizures.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Poor old guy. Toothy has been through so much in his life, it is good to see that he is now doing better. I hope it all continues and that he doesn't have any more issues like this anymore.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Prayers sent for the old man. Glad to read he is improving with the care. Hugs to you too. I know it is so hard to have someone so under the weather.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am so happy to hear there is some improvement. Our Loki had 2 seizures and anemia and is 1 year 8 months past the original issue and still going strong. Just keep being positive all they know is love and that is easy to give.

Patti

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So sorry to hear Toothy was under the weather this weekend. He really has had a rough go from the start. The poor guy just needs a break and a nice relaxing time. He just started to make friends with his new little kittens too...I hope he can come soon and get settled back in without too much of a problem.

Jen

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So sorry to hear Toothy was under the weather this weekend. He really has had a rough go from the start. The poor guy just needs a break and a nice relaxing time. He just started to make friends with his new little kittens too...I hope he can come soon and get settled back in without too much of a problem.

Jen

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Toothy is a little worse than he was Tuesday morning when I picked him up, but definitely better than he was when we took him in Monday night. He wants mostly to stay curled up in a corner on the stairway landing, so I've put a blanket there for him. He does purr when you pet him or hold him and he's more alert, but he still will do the odd walk-about where he's hesitant like he doesn't know what he's doing. He's eating and taking his medicine well, though. It's odd 'cause he's got the neurological symptoms like hepatic encephalopathy, but not the blood results, vomiting, lack of appetite, or diarrhea. Hoping the ultrasound Friday morning will give us some answers.

Back