Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Training to do tricks?

Sphynxpaws

Lairian
I have my official gotcha day now!! Super exciting, I get my Finley this Sunday! I've heard of people training their cats to sit, high five, and play fetch. I know every cat is different, but anyone who has successfully done this, how did you do it? And any tips on doing that?
47d0a81b487b911d63738f0abe2ed451.jpg

Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Love the pic, and congrats on your upcoming Gotcha Day.

I think the only "tricks" cats will do are those that they know innately. LOL

Both Max and Min will fetch but I never trained them... they just do this of their own accord.

Having said that, I think some people here have trained their Sphynx to do various things. I await stories!!!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hurray! Your gotcha day will be here in no time! :)
I would love to hear stories as well!
I mean, I know some have trained their kitties to use the toilet for a litter. They sphynx breed is really smart.
I have never really tried to train, and like @Xandria, our Gatsby will play fetch. But he does that on his own, we didn't train him.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I like to do positive reinforced target training. So that the cats will hop up on things when I ask or if I want them to get off the couch that I am trapped in by their nefarious heat I have the word "Let's Go".

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Cleopatra is trained. She will circle, sit up, stand up, lay down, take a treat off a knee, jump between 2 pieces of furniture and give kisses, all on command. She is also clicker trained. Marcus does some of this too, but not as much as Cleo. He will do agility courses, though, which Cleo will not do. I used a book to start with Cleo, and found out that it is all about the treats! In our house, freeze-dried salmon is used for training. I encourage everybody to train their cats--it creates a wonderful bond. Good luck to you!
image.jpeg

Back