Vito's Litter Kwitter Experience

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Tails' started by Caloci, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Offline
    Caloci

Caloci Gold Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,545.22
    • Black Sphynx
    • Sea Turtle
    I started Vito on the LK yesterday. I thought I would start a thread so I can look back on the experience, get advice and share his story with anyone who was interested.

I am on vacation this week so I thought it would be a good time to start. We have had the LK since NYE. We bought it used on line, cleaned it out and set it up ont he floor in bathroom the same day. That night he went pee in it and hadn't used it since. We kept his litter box in the bottom of a closet that wasn't particularly close to the bathroom.

I caught him looking for his box a few times yesterday and took him to the bathroom. About an hour after a few false starts, he went pee. We had to go out so we made him a nice bed in the tub (which he loves), gave him some toys and water and left him in there. He stayed in there napping when we came home and opened the door.

Before bed last night I knew he needed to go, but wasnt going. I shut him the the bathroom as I was up with him very late encouraging him. He peed again in the LK! This afternoon I was hanging out with him in the bathroom and he went pee, then I saw him going into the bathroom so I went to sit with him and after a few minutes he had his first poo on the LK!

My plan is to keep him in the bathroom for the first little while when we are not home until I feel confident he is comfortable. I am not sure how long I will wait before I move the LK to the toilet or if I will have to raise it slowly. My plan is to have no accidents outside of the bathroom. I have praised him and treated him, but he doesn't seem to care that I am proud of him. So that's it for now...So far so good.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions feel free to chime in!

2. Offline
    sciumi

sciumi Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $9,707.18
    Oooh! We started training a few weeks ago!

Have you checked out the LK forums yet? There's a lot of super helpful advice.

We just started the Amber phase---well, an "assisted" Amber phase: I have a thin sheet of plastic duct taped to the bottom of the Amber tray with a small hole cut in it that I will gradually widen over the next few weeks. [see pic] Astor's been doing great, but the jump from Red to Amber just seems too drastic! I wanted him to be able to get used to the *concept* of having a hole in his tray before just dropping the bottom out. Today he peed right into the hole (though, I don't think he did it on purpose :Wink:), and so we heard a good deal of splashing into the toilet, and it didn't faze him at all! I'm going to cut the hole wider this evening before his bedtime pee.

Looking forward to watching your journey unfold!

So far my favorite moment was when Astor started just scratching at the LK to trick me into giving him a treat--silly boy! I think he's just impressed with how quickly he's been able to train me to give him a treat every time he uses the toilet.

Attached Files:

3. Offline
    Caloci

Caloci Gold Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,545.22
    • Black Sphynx
    • Sea Turtle

Yes, I have been on the LK forums. Lots of good info there. I am very interested in Astor's toilet training as well. I had hard about the modified amber stage before and I think we will be using that idea as well. Probablly for the green stage too.

Good job Astor on getting to the modified amber stage!
  4. Offline
    Inflamed

Inflamed Gold Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $15,890.40
    • Scary sphynx
    Good luck on your LK venture, you can do it Vito!
  5. Offline
    Caloci

Caloci Gold Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,545.22
    • Black Sphynx
    • Sea Turtle
    Today is the start of day three. Vito is doing really well. So far no accidents. He pees in the LK no problem, right in the centre most of the time. He seems to be more hesitant to poo but if he is holding back, it's not for very long.

I don't trust him 100% if I am not home or at night if I suspect he has to poo. He spent a few hours in the bathroom by himself last night as I knew he had to go and we were sleepy. After I was sure he went I let him out so he could sleep with us and when I got up this morning he had gone back for a pee.

I want to take it slow raising the LK onto the toilet, but so far I haven't found anything wide enough that provides enough stability. I had hoped to have it on the toilet by the time I go back to work on Monday.

On another note he has been alone more than I planned as my best friend went into labour on Monday and I have been at the hospital a lot the last few days.

She had a baby girl by C-section at 0015 on Valentines Day! She almost made it naturally but the baby wouldn't turn her head enough to get out the usual way. Mom and baby are doing well and they are still trying to figure out a name.

And big surprise to me she is our God daughter! We have a God son as well, my husbands best friends little boy who was a year old on the 7th.

Anyway LK is going well so far.
  6. Offline
    sciumi

sciumi Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $9,707.18
    Congrats on your new God baby!! Glad everyone's doing well :)

I feel your pain with the difficulty finding a good way to move the lk up gradually. Our bathroom is just too small, so I took a risk and just put it on the toilet after he had gotten used to it, and he didn't seem to mind. I think having some kind of step stool is important: he's able to inspect and poke at the LK from a safe distance. If you do decide to use some sort of step, don't use anything permeable like I did! I had a cardboard box first & I accidentally got some cat pee on it while I was cleaning and, as you may know, that stuff is STINKY!! One tiny drop & our whole appt smelled. Right now I'm using styrofoam boxes (kinda like mini coolers) and I put them on some non-slip shelf liner, so they wouldn't move around too much.
  7. Offline
    fpsparta3

fpsparta3 Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $91.00
    Woo Hoo! Go Vito!!

Moving up to the toliet made me get creative - i used old phone books at first, but placed them at an angle so that there was more stability. Then I used cardboard boxes of different heights (picked them up at the grocery store while they were stocking shelves) plus i few boxes from my office. Like Sciumi said above, urine and wet cardboard box is really gross - I would often put down layers of newspaper as a preventative and easier clean up, plus it was what i had on hand at the time. But i guess you could cover the boxes with plastic wrap/bag .... huh, hindsight is 20/20
    Good Luck! Keep up the great work, Mr Vito!
  8. Offline
    Caloci

Caloci Gold Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,545.22
    • Black Sphynx
    • Sea Turtle
    I guess I haven't updated in a while...
    We did have one huge gross accident a few days after his dental cleaning and extraction on the 16th of Feb. He still had diarrhea after the ansethetic and didnt get to the bathroom on time or so we suspect.

We had a hard time getting him back to good after his dental, hes still not perfect but he is coming along. We did decide however, to put the LK on the toilet. He does jump up no problem and I encourage him everytime we are in the bathroom together. He also hops on the side of the tub and sometimes uses it as a method of getting on the toilet.

He is back to being in the bathroom while I am at work, and sometimes at night if I know he has to go and is bugging me during sleeping hours. He has been very good. Still a little wary with the pooping, but I will keep him on red for about a month unless he shows me otherwise he is ready.

Hes not peeing in the middle as much and when I got up after the first night there was diarrhea on the actual toilet seat and in the litter. I don't consider that an accident as it was his first time pooping on the toilet and he did make an effort. I treat and praise and pet when he goes and I catch him. He trills back at me as if to say look at me mum, even midstream he will talk to me....lol
  9. Offline
    sciumi

sciumi Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $9,707.18
    It sounds to me like you're doing really well! Especially with all of the stress of his dental work & diarrhea :(

And, yes, poor aim definitely doesn't count as an accident--just more ickiness for us sometimes :p --I had wondered about that too when I started.

People had told me that aiming issues tend to work themselves out on their own. Someone advised me that putting the toilet seat down over the Kwitter helps, so that's how we've done it. Astor had weird aim even in his litterbox (as far into the corner as possible), but, sure 'nuff, he now pees dead center! He has even started to put his front paws on the toilet seat occasionally!

Pooping has always been a bit of a crap shoot (pun unintended, hehe). Honestly, it just bounces around a lot, so sometimes when he aims for the edge, it hits the toilet seat and falls in anyway. And he usually circles around a lot, then starts pooping, then circles again mid-poop. So, with poop, as long as his intentions seem to drop it in the Kwitter, you're doing great. I think you've got a great attitude & lots of patience!

So cute how he talks to you! Astor will yell at me to come into the bathroom & dawdle as long as possible so he can get more treats: "oh, gee, I don't know if I can really do this...maybe if I had some more encouragement...." or he'll dig around a little and then hop onto my lap & look at me expectantly. He's so funny. He's much more prompt when he's sleepy; sometimes won't even call me in at all, just hops up & pees while trying to keep his eyes open. Or if I'm busy with something, he'll just go by himself without all the ceremony. He has me trained very well :)
  10. Offline
    Caloci

Caloci Gold Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,545.22
    • Black Sphynx
    • Sea Turtle
    Today we are prepping for more disruption in Vito's toilet training. We likely will be postponing the neuter partially because we need to get his weight back up following his "post dental diet" as in he didn't want to eat anything; and we got notice yesterday that we will be moving soon.

The house we are renting sold and the new owners would prefer if we moved out prior to our 6 month lease expiring. They are the owners of the other half of this duplex and they are douche bags. So we will in all likelihood leave as soon as we can. Unfortunately we cannot give them notice today for April first, so we will have to give notice for end April. We will be uprooting Vito again, there for I think we will be on red for a few months. We will stay on red for the remainder of the time here and probably a month plus at the new place.

I guess I wasn't kidding when I said I was going to go slow....lol
  11. Offline
    sciumi

sciumi Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $9,707.18
    Oh, my goodness! When it rains, it pours I guess.

Thanks for sharing; you really do have a such a great attitude! It's a pleasure to read it :)
  12. Offline
    Caloci

Caloci Gold Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,545.22
    • Black Sphynx
    • Sea Turtle

I was wondering if Astor had any issues pooping on the LK. Vito used to poo everyday. Now it's every 2-3 days. I can't tell if he just isn't comfortable with the LK or if it is fallout from the whole dental, not eating fiasco. He still isn't taking in the amounts he was prior but he's pretty close so I would have thought he'd be back on schedule.

I'm hoping as time goes by he gets more comfortable and gets back to pooping everyday.
  13. Offline
    Caloci

Caloci Gold Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,545.22
    • Black Sphynx
    • Sea Turtle
    Since starting the LK just over a month ago, Vito's poo habits have changed. In all fairness a week into it he had the dental and wasn't eating there for I didn't expect much poo. Well today is Wednesday and I hadn't seen poo since Sunday morning so I went looking.

I found two piles in the kids room behind the bunk beds which we had pulled away from the wall Sunday afternoon to access the electrical panel. Now I am worried about pee. He doesn't pee as much as he used to. I was locking him up in the bathroom while I was gone during the day and I felt so bad for doing it.

We are moving in 2 weeks and I don't know if I should give him the box back until he gets settled. Or not give up on LK. I have him locked in the bathroom right now because I ran out of Natures Miracle and I have to finish cleaning up the poo mess.

I am going to check out the LK forums but I was just wondering what others have done in terms of continuing after a poo problem. We are still on red btw. I dont want to have a pee problem as well. I knew he was holding back, but I thought he was doing alright.

Any advice would be great, going to check out other sources now. Thanks
  14. Offline
    sciumi

sciumi Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $9,707.18
    :(

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Sounds like you hit some really unfortunate timing with the dental & now the upcoming move.

If it were me, I would go back to the box until everyone's settled from the move. Let us know if you found anything helpful on the LK forums!
  15. Offline
    sciumi

sciumi Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $9,707.18
    Oh, and regarding Astor's pooping, he did have one tub accident (I was too slow cleaning the LK) and pooping has always been more of an ordeal anyway.

For a long time he was pooping once every 24 hours give or take 3hrs or so. Sometimes he'll wait an extra 12 depending on his nap schedule. Now he's a little more variable it seems...still once daily but just less predictable.

Like I said, we haven't had problems, but still, when he was going regularly it was SOOOOOO much less stressful for me.