Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Vomiting

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi,

I switched my boy Jack to raw a few weeks ago, and everything is/was going great. But 2 times this week, I have found a pile of vomit. Is it normal for them to vomit from time to time? He's never thrown up before this, he is 3.5 years old.

He's eating BiTR with ground chicken, 2 times daily. With chicken hearts as a mid day snack.

He's acting totally normal, and was just at the vet recently with a clean bill of health.

Thoughts? Ideas?

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Do you observe him while he is eating? Sometimes if they eat too fast they will regurgitate. You could try getting one of the food bowls that cause them to have to eat slower :)

It would be useful to know if he does it straight after eating or a while after.

How long do your BiTR portions stay in the fridge? We have a 3 day max rule to make sure it is not going off :)

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He doesn't seem to eat too quickly. He eats a few bites, then leaves and goes back and forth doing that until he's done. It probably takes him about 15-20 minutes to eat his 1/4 cup portion. I only have 2 day portions at a time out, I don't want it to sour. Maybe it's the chicken hearts? I will cut those out for a while.
It's at least several hours after he's eaten.

He's such a tidy boy, throws up right beside his litter box :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
He doesn't seem to eat too quickly. He eats a few bites, then leaves and goes back and forth doing that until he's done. It probably takes him about 15-20 minutes to eat his 1/4 cup portion. I only have 2 day portions at a time out, I don't want it to sour. Maybe it's the chicken hearts? I will cut those out for a while.
It's at least several hours after he's eaten.

He's such a tidy boy, throws up right beside his litter box :)
I'm not a raw feeder but I do recall reading a recent post, similar sounding problem (I couldn't find the thread) and remember the member saying the raw food needed to be cut into smaller pieces and that stopped the vomiting.

OwnedByOdysseus

Lairian
Don't cut the chicken hearts out for too long, heart is very important to ensure your kitty is getting enough taurine. Sorry I can't help with the vomiting, hope this gets better!

Back