Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

water in ears?

mint

Lairian
Paranoid first time owner here, my baby was curiously grazing the edges of the bathtub while I was bathing and lost her footing, completely submerging herself in water for a split second. I think it's safe to assume she probably got some water in her ears...is this bad?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@mint They usually do a great job of shaking water (and cleaner...lol) out. Just keep an eye on them and if you see that they shake their head excessively or scratch their ears frequently then you you will know you have a problem. But again they usually can get it out pretty fast on their own.

Patti

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Paranoid first time owner here, my baby was curiously grazing the edges of the bathtub while I was bathing and lost her footing, completely submerging herself in water for a split second. I think it's safe to assume she probably got some water in her ears...is this bad?
As @Catzzzmeow said, she should be fine. Welcome by the way! :)

mint

Lairian
@mint They usually do a great job of shaking water (and cleaner...lol) out. Just keep an eye on them and if you see that they shake their head excessively or scratch their ears frequently then you you will know you have a problem. But again they usually can get it out pretty fast on their own.

Patti

alright thanks-this happened about 24 hours ago ive monitored her all day today shes her regular happy cuddly self, eating, drinking normally, if she was to start head shaking or itching would she have started doing it already? and thanks for the welcome :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure but my guess is immediately but I would watch for a couple of days just in case an infection does develop. Glad to see you jumped right in and started posting :)

Patti

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When I was bathing Frida right after I got her I had filled the tub just a little too much and she sneezed. She crouched down when she did so and completely submerged herself. Poor dear was so confused. I lifted her out of the water as it happened. She shook the water out of her ears immediately and was fine, but I learned a valuable lesson about Sphynx bath safety. Bottom of the chest and mid chest level water are very different. Especially for a kitten who is unused to being bathed. I'm sure you learned just as much from your experience as I did from mine lol! :)

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Mine have both gone for dunkings in my bath water lol, they've never had any I'll effects aside from their embarrassment.

mint

Lairian
noticed some head shaking and itching today (3 days since it happened)so just to be safe I took her to the vet and they said she had a bit of a bacterial infection so they gave her some Canaural, any on know anything about this? again just me being paranoid

mint

Lairian
and yes I learned to keep the bathroom door shut from now on when no go take a bath, I've been sitting here crying because I feel guilty

Back