Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What brand cat litter do you use?

What brand cat litter do you use?

• Arm & Hammer

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • Fresh Step

Votes: 27 9.1%
  • Feline Pine

Votes: 18 6.1%
  • Dr Elsey's

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • Scoop Away

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Worlds Best Cat Citter

Votes: 49 16.6%
  • Tidy Cats

Votes: 41 13.9%
  • Store Brand

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 90 30.4%
  • Cats Pride

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have tried Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract, World's Best, and Feline Pine (not the pellets). The Cat Attract was fine, got it when Lilo was a kitten just to make sure she had no potty issues and was drawn to her new litter box. It was ok, but when I started reading about the dangers of clay litters, especially for kittens who might ingest it, I switched right away. Feline Pine smelled good but the little flakes were so fine I found it to be a huge mess, so I got over that stuff quickly. I tried World's Best, with a free 7-lb bag after mail-in-rebate, and I really do like it. It clumps fast, no odor, and if it is ingested it's safe. I have been potty training with the Litter Kwitter and using this stuff because it's flushable :Cool:. Hoping to be litter-free soon.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We use Arm & Hammer for multi cat homes. I also like the Target brand litter, smells nice and clumps well.

There is a new Arm & Hammer that claims it is for urine and feces control, I ran out and got it as soon as I saw it on tv, well forget it I am not sure how they can claim how great it works on odor because I have never smelled anything so bad:Surprise:

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When Possible I use Wal-mart litter. I like it alot better than the "name brand" stuff!! My cats seem to like it more too. As long as a Wal-Mart is around pretty close (it wasn't when we lived in Ca) I will use it.

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've never heard of this green tea litter. Seems like it works fine though:Smile: I'll have to search it to see how much it costs. Thanx for sharing with us.:ThumbsUp:

jintzr

Lairian
We use Dr. Elsey's Ultra Precious Cat litter. It works well for my asthmatic/heart cats because it doesn't have a lot of dust. It's also good because it's unscented... which is much better for the kitties. LOVE it!!!! I've tried a ton of others and this is the best I have found.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use Fresh Step. Why? Because it's cheapest. If price wasn't an issue I'd go with Tidy Cats. I love that litter. Easy cleanup. Fresh Step is OK, and clumps nicely but it clumps attached to the tray. Plus it's very dusty.

I should rephrase. Fresh Step isn't the cheapest but it's the cheapest decent litter. It's much much better than the generic cheap brand.

DrDirt

Lairian
Swheat Scoop. Love it, low odor (very important, everyone who visits can't smell "cat"), clumps well. Flushable, but I usually bag it and take it outside or put in the trash.

That, and it supports the wheat industry, which I work for. I also work to better the corn growers, too (you folks with World's Best).

Gryffindor

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We originally started using fresh step clay litter, but then moved onto clumping. We tried a few different brands, Arm & Hammer, and a couple of the Fresh Step clumping. Last week we moved back to plain clay, because we noticed Gryff's paws becoming very irritated and blown up, even prompting a vet visit. Since going back to the original, his paws have returned to normal. They're still healing from the irritation, but at least he doesn't look like he's walking on tomatos anymore. If you're going to try the Fresh Step clumping litters, avoid the Extreme Odor Control one, as it's definitely not Sphynx feet friendly.

violetsmom

Lairian
I use Fresh Step Crystals. Love it! It's a bit pricey- 15.00 a bag- but it last over a month for just my one girl. We also have the litter robot and it works wonders with that as well. No dust and it absorbs the urine smell.

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We use swheat scoop which is a flushable litter as we plan to toilet train as soon as Lyle comes home.

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We just switched from sillicate crystals to something called Cat's Best Eco. It's wood based pellets that clump and so far I am quite happy with it. With the crystals you didn't remove the urine and that tended to get smelly a lot faster than the product claimed so it got a bit expensive. This Cat's Best stuff is also pretty good odour wise, haven't detected nasty smells yet (except for a few minutes after Lucifer has just produced a number 2) Another advantage of the new stuff is that the pellets don't hurt your feet when you step on any that were tracked out - which also means it's a lot softer on sphynx paws :ThumbsUp:

DrDirt

Lairian
We just purchased swheat scoop because when the babies get home we will potty train them and swheat scoop is flushable and will work well we hope:ThumbsUp:

Big clumps of pee, however, take several flushes. As much as it smells bad, it's better to break apart the chunks for easier flushing.

Then again, Booger tended to pee in one area of the box to make the clump, maybe other cats don't do that? Anyway, good luck.

veldtvega

Lairian
feline pine...it's safe for my sphinxes and they can't track it. Since they have a ritual of blasting out of the box at top speed and doing a few victory laps, i was finding other litter everywhere!

Amanda Ibbotson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Big clumps of pee, however, take several flushes. As much as it smells bad, it's better to break apart the chunks for easier flushing.

Then again, Booger tended to pee in one area of the box to make the clump, maybe other cats don't do that? Anyway, good luck.

Thanks for the heads up!:ThumbsUp: but I am hoping to not have much scooping as we are doing the litter kwitter and needed flushable litter so if any fell in it would be safe for the potty:LOL::LOL: I'm on a fast track for NO MORE LITTER!! WOOOO!!:Hysterical::LOL:

Sphynxaholic

Lairian
We use Arm & Hammer Double Duty. I like the way it smells but I do scoop it twice a day as that 'cat smell' really stinks up the bathroom his box is in. The litter clumps REALLLLY well and it is very easy to get the pee clumps out. There isnt alot of dust but we have a covered litter box. I thought about using Feline Pine but I wasn't sure about how cost effective it would be compared to Arm & Hammer Double Duty.

We use World's Best. I have to admit -- it's the best clumping litter EVER. It's expensive, but a bag lasts a long time due to its ability to clump so tightly. My only issue is that it does little to mask our kitty's poop smell. Does anyone else have this issue with World's Best? I don't want to use clay, but we did use Ever Clean when we first brought her home and it seemed to control the odor better. I didn't realize at the time that Ever Clean was clay-based. Once I realized that we switched. Oh and she tracks just as much with either type. We even bought her the Booda Clean Step litter box. (Apparently she does not understand that it isn't necessary to peel out of her box after she uses it. Then again, with the way her poop smells, maybe it's self-preservation!) We never smell her urine -- always the poop. I don't expect it to smell like flowers, but it clears the room!

Ideas?

Sphynxaholic

Lairian
(Apparently she does not understand that it isn't necessary to peel out of her box after she uses it. Then again, with the way her poop smells, maybe it's self-preservation!) We never smell her urine -- always the poop. I don't expect it to smell like flowers, but it clears the room!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL !!!!!
Tyler's poop is just the same, it can sometimes wake me up in the middle of the night burning my nose! :Hysterical: :LOL:

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We use Arm & Hammer for multi cat homes. I also like the Target brand litter, smells nice and clumps well.

There is a new Arm & Hammer that claims it is for urine and feces control, I ran out and got it as soon as I saw it on tv, well forget it I am not sure how they can claim how great it works on odor because I have never smelled anything so bad:Surprise:

I agree with you 100% I bought 18 kg box of the Urine and Feces one because it was on sale for $21. Worst $21 I've ever spent. I find the one that seems to work the best for me out of Arm&Hammer is the odour alert one that has indicators in it that turn blue when its wet.

I also tried World's Best but couldnt stomach the smell after it had been urinated on, made my boyfriend and I nauseous.

Back