What meat do YOU use for your cat's raw diet?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by ramesses mama, Dec 14, 2012.

1. ramesses mama

ramesses mama Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $184.52
    Where do you buy your meat?

Do you use a premix or do you buy your vitamins?

How long does it take to make the raw foods?

How much does it cost a month?

ShamMeow and (deleted member) like this.

2. Sphynx Happy

Sphynx Happy V.I.P Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $95.95
    If my pets were on the raw diet I would primarily use chicken, turkey, and rabbit.

I'm interested to see how much people spend on the raw diet so I'll be checking this thread.

Here is a place you can get raw meat specifically for pets online

Hare Today
    https://www.hare-today.com/

3. Sphynx Happy

Sphynx Happy V.I.P Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $95.95
    Also have you checked our Feeding Sphynx Raw Diet sub-forum? That may be of some help to you. :Smile:

Sphynx Cats and Raw Diet

ShamMeow and (deleted member) like this.
  4. saymayusf

saymayusf Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $90.41
    Hi! I have been researching raw diets for months before I even got my sphynx. I am going to embark upon it finally at the start of the new year. I previously bought a "complete raw diet" from Nature's Variety. Their website is very informative. I found the frozen raw medallions at petco and I tried it out for a day to even see if he liked it. He seemed to love it. I've seen people have problems transitioning, but my baby just LOVES to eat anything!

However, I realized that since he is a kitten he needed about 6 oz per day, which would mean that expensive bag of frozen medallions was going to run out in like 2 weeks. So NOW I have a new plan. I have been researching the Hare Today website and love how many options they are. They have TONS of meats, from chicken to bison to quail, and you can get them ground with or without bones and organs, chunks, whole, including whole prey for those whose cats love to eat like a wild animal ;) (I'm pretty sure Mr. Butters would rip some chicken wings apart, but I haven't gotten that brave yet)

The beautiful thing is that they have their own mix in supplement. It looks super easy. You just mix the instructed amount of scoops into however many pounds you order, and add water. I have ordered baby food storage trays to freeze that are 1 oz compartments with lids so I can make little nuggets and thaw them easily. I'm super excited about this, and plan to give him chicken, turkey, rabbit, and maybe some beef. While it will be probably more expensive than feeding my normal food during his kittenhood, I feel like it will almost be cheaper or the same once he doesn't have to eat so much per day. I will update you when I actually order everything with the prices and how long it lasts!

Good luck! I used this article to start the research and it was really helpful...

Feline-nutrition.org

Sara

5. ramesses mama

ramesses mama Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $184.52
    Thanks so much for the ideas! I looked at hare today and the shipping is pretty pricey! AHHhh!! Are there types of stores I could go to? I know my sphynx loves duck! Hes on natural balance wet food. Do butcher shops sell a variety of meats?

6. saymayusf

saymayusf Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $90.41
    Yea I know a lot of people who get meat from the butcher. And eek! I just noticed the shipping prices. I'll have to weigh the cost of the premade frozen stuff against this with the shipping!

7. assibassi

assibassi Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $26,045.14
    • Orange Sphynx
    • Scary sphynx
    • Scary Ghost
    • Chick
    I buy ground meat and add 'better in the raw' to it. All is in there . Plus add water .

I portion it up into 2 oz bags, one bag per feeding per cat, bout 3 times a day.
    Cost is about 80 cents per cat a day
    Takes me about 10 min to do 2 lbs a meat and i do that about every 2 weeks with two different kinds of meats , usually i get Beef , Turkey and Pork . Oh and i go to a good Butcher who has Grasfed Beef etc .

8. werecatrising

werecatrising Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $545.40
    I get my meat from 3 places. The bulk of it comes from a supplier who mainly sells to restaurants. A good portion comes from the grocery store. I get a few things for variety at a local small pet store. I don't use a mix- I feed prey model raw.

9. muddpuddles01

muddpuddles01 V.I.P Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $7,724.54
    I do exactly the same thing. I just freeze mine in ice cube trays,

10. assibassi

assibassi Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $26,045.14
    • Orange Sphynx
    • Scary sphynx
    • Scary Ghost
    • Chick
    ice cube trays ... OMG thats a Awesome Idea !!!!!!!!!!!! I never thought of that !!! I gotta tell my husband ! Thats awesome!

11. ZiggyStardust

ZiggyStardust Gold Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $13,617.14
    • butterfly 4
    • Blue Sphynx
    • Black Sphynx
    • Dragon fly
    • Lamb
    I use Blue Ridge Beef (which does have other things than beef despite their name). No delivery cost 'cause I get it from a local distributor or pick it up at a cat show. I get the 2 pound chubs and mix in the supplements. A case of chubs (30#) cost $54 and lasts me about 2.5 months, so around 70 to 80 cents per day.

12. kristininn

kristininn V.I.P Lairian

Albums:
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $3,910.38
    I feed my boys a combo of premade raw and organic whole meats.
    I use a variety of premade including Nature's Variety, Primal, and Nature's Logic.
    My little man only eats premade, but Winston gets chunked raw chicken, chicken hearts, chicken necks, and chicken flippers (wings without the tip) for his evening meal (not all of those at once, but rotated to make sure he is getting the proper ratios of meat, organ meat, and bone throughout the week).

I think I'm going to have to move towards something more along the lines of the .80$ a day approached talked about in this thread by others, though. Right now, my boys collectively eat about 12 ounces a day which equals out to about 4.25$ daily. Although convenient (and easy on my nervous personality), as a broke grad student this is getting a little difficult to maintain.