Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What will I need?

Cerysnataliex

Lairian
Hello everyone!

In 4 weeks I should be a sphynx owner and I'm so excited. I've been trying to work out what I'll need though. I know I need a litter tray and litter, food (I was going to start with feeding what the breeder is feeding and then I'm thinking of switching to Royal Canin kitten, does anyone know if that's any good?), feeding bowls, shampoo (I heard baby shampoo was okay?), baby wipes (for between bathing), nail clippers, ear and eye cleaning treatments, q-tips, cotton wool balls, a cat carrier, a heat pad, a soft blanket/bed, toys and a scratch post. Is that everything? Also I was wondering about views on coconut oil and if I'll need it? And whether I should get equipment to walk my sphynx?

Thanks.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cerysnataliex ,Congrats and welcome! We look forward to gotcha day pics! Very happy for you! :)
We are always adding to our what we need stuff!

The breeder I adopted from feeds royal canin kitten - I would slowly transition any foods
I personally don't use coconut oil on my guys
Unscented/ fragrance free scooping litter here
Love the Hylyt shampoo
L-lysine powder
Have a bottle of Vetericyn spray on hand for an skin scrapes n such - use it on myself too
Cosmetic cotton rounds and precision tip qtips for ears , I use trizultra plus keto for ears,
Epi-otic a cleaner is popular too
I bought baby face clothes to do plain warm water wipe offs- works better than unscented baby wipes for my 4
Lots of those 50x60 type plush throws- never enough blankies :)
Da bird one piece pole cat toy - only used supervised
Cat dancer toy
Card board box or grocery paper bags fun too
Mine love the smart cat climber that goes on the back of a door
Mine like the small raised stainless steel food dishes- I change water 2-3 xs a day
We have a new drinkwell pet fountain- but needs to washed and scrubbed well in the nooks n crannies of it every other day or it can get slimy to the touch)(And only one cat uses it here- takes 10 min to clean very other day)

Lol extra wipe towels for the paw prints they leave everywhere!
Mini dust pan for tracking litter
Harnesses- are not escape proof- I use a rabbit ferret jogging walking vest and a figure 8 adjustable harness- still prefer secure carrier here

Also got mine microchipped at time of spay/neuter and make sure vet does not use ketamine- we use gas form ISO here with mine

Lots of looove and kisses!

**kitty proof home before gotcha day :)

Oh , there will be more "incredible stuff" I am sure :)

lolvo

Lairian
Wow, I wish I'd had that list when I got Miss Demeanor! And one more thing you may want is a kitty-proof toy chest :)

Welcome, Cerysnataliex! My recommendation for baths is Dr. Bronner's liquid soap - either the rose scented one or the "baby mild" kind. It doesn't seem to dry out or irritate mine's skin, and she seems to actually like the scent. As for harnesses, I would say start as early as possible to get them used to it, and always associate the harness with mealtimes or an extra-special treat when you're starting out. Missy is doing well with the one that has a v-shaped front piece - it's called walk with me kitty or something. It goes around her shoulders instead of around her neck so it doesn't choke her, and she has yet to escape from it (despite unsuccessfully trying to lick through the straps). If you find out that your new companion is a bird-chaser, I would highly recommend the kitty catcher for supervised play - it's small, inexpensive, and moves unpredictably enough to keep a cat amused for quite some time. Bonito flakes would also be a good investment if you're looking for a training treat - they can be messy, but cats seem to go universally nuts for them.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cerysnataliex ,

Here's a pic of the walking vest also used on Sphynx- has soft edges and nice wide Velcro straps
I got mine online for Toby

The other harness we had was a small size come with me kitty harness that comes with a bungee cord leash-
Make sure to check reviews on harnesses too :)

The walking vest was easier on and off for training
The come with me kitty has several adjustments to make and recently read kitty escaping it

Really double check fitment
We practiced inside

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 15

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello everyone!

In 4 weeks I should be a sphynx owner and I'm so excited. I've been trying to work out what I'll need though. I know I need a litter tray and litter, food (I was going to start with feeding what the breeder is feeding and then I'm thinking of switching to Royal Canin kitten, does anyone know if that's any good?), feeding bowls, shampoo (I heard baby shampoo was okay?), baby wipes (for between bathing), nail clippers, ear and eye cleaning treatments, q-tips, cotton wool balls, a cat carrier, a heat pad, a soft blanket/bed, toys and a scratch post. Is that everything? Also I was wondering about views on coconut oil and if I'll need it? And whether I should get equipment to walk my sphynx?

Thanks.

One thing i found my kitty couldnt do without is plastic drinking straws! They are very useful and cheap when your kitten goes through the teething stage!! And kitten proof your house. Anything breakable, long dangling cords they can be dangerous etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there and welcome. Looks like you have already got lots of the essentials and have been given some great advice for a few extras too. Mine love their tall cat trees and I find that the gentle exfoliating gloves are great for bath time . A tip I picked up off sphinx lair. Don't forget to post lots of pics when the big day arrives !

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello and congratulations on your baby!

I use stainless steel feeding bowls as they are easier to wash and do not harbor bacteria as much as ceramics do.

For baby wipes I use huggies naturals. They are the only ones I have found that do not leave my boys oily afterwards.

If you have a costco membership they have super soft heating blankets on sale for 25$ right now and my boys love theirs. They also have some soft minky like blankets for 14$ that they also love.

Back