This picture reminds me of Pooner when he visited his friend Gabe's house (nakedninja). Pooner got himself inside the fireplace and then couldn't get himself out. Luckily they didn't have a fire burning, they had unlit decorative candles instead.
This was actually our first fire this year. I told my husband I thought he would like the heat. I had no idea he would be quite so fascinated with it. He did actually climb over with the fire burning and I stopped him. Now we have to be careful with the fireplace. It's like having a toddler!