Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

1 year 1 month bad teeth genetics .Concerns about changing to the Dental Diet.

Eugenia

Lairian
Seth 1 year 1 month.
THE STORY
I got my baby when he was about 5 months.Shortly after that, I noticed that he started to have bad breath. When I told about it to the veterinarian she assumed that his teeth are changing and that is why there is a BAD BREATH and RED GUMS.MeanwhileWe had also problems with blood in his stool. We were doing tests at the clinic (parasites test)-everything was ok. So we decided to change the diet. Veterinarian prescribed probiotics and prebiotics and Royal Canin wet food(something for the gut).To be honest, I didn't see any changes .So I decided to experiment by myself and change the food and to find the perfect for my cat. I ended up with RAW food (IRONWILL) I liked the result: the blood was there pretty rare and the poo was softer and not that smelly and he started to do it 2 times a day (not 4 -when he was on dry food)
I thought that the breath will change with raw food, but not
So I went to the vet again (1-year-old .Last vet visit was when he was about 7 month)
The veterinarian told me that he had a lot of plagues and because of that his gingivitis are progressing
So we did the teeth cleaning and the front 4 bottom teeth were extracted because the x-ray showed that it was already not the part of bone structure.

VETERINARIAN CONCLUSION:
-bad teeth genetics
-stop feeding raw
-we need to give him all possible care and to change the diet to DENTAL
recommended by VOHC® (dry food)
-wet canned food(ROYAL CANIN GASTROINTESTINAL, probably)cause of his blood in poo(but I know it is not working)

MY CONCERNS:
-I don't like the ingredients of dry dental food that is recommended by VOHC®(THe HILLS and ROYAL CANIN)e.g. INGREDIENTS: Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Fat, Chicken Liver Flavor, .....
they have a lot of grains in it and I think it can cause the blood in my cat's stool
-Overall, I think that raw is better.

QUESTIONS

CAN I maintain the good dental health of my young cat still keeping the raw food as the main meal?
My idea was to keep the raw but to give him dental supplements, dental treats, brush his teeth daily, use water additives.
I think my veterinarian will insist on changing the diet. They always insist on THE HIlls dry food. But I feel they don't know about sphynx that much.

What you can suggest?
Did anyone have the same problem ?
What are your thoughts?

102291813_2119443331535899_5530388984833323106_n.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to side with vets as that is their professional opinion. If you feel that strongly, go and get a second opinion and get their thoughts, you might feel more comfortable in the decision you ultimately make. Your current vet can send over the tests already taken so you do not need to do them all over again.

Last edited:

nobadhairdays

Lairian
Seth 1 year 1 month.
THE STORY
I got my baby when he was about 5 months.Shortly after that, I noticed that he started to have bad breath. When I told about it to the veterinarian she assumed that his teeth are changing and that is why there is a BAD BREATH and RED GUMS.MeanwhileWe had also problems with blood in his stool. We were doing tests at the clinic (parasites test)-everything was ok. So we decided to change the diet. Veterinarian prescribed probiotics and prebiotics and Royal Canin wet food(something for the gut).To be honest, I didn't see any changes .So I decided to experiment by myself and change the food and to find the perfect for my cat. I ended up with RAW food (IRONWILL) I liked the result: the blood was there pretty rare and the poo was softer and not that smelly and he started to do it 2 times a day (not 4 -when he was on dry food)
I thought that the breath will change with raw food, but not
So I went to the vet again (1-year-old .Last vet visit was when he was about 7 month)
The veterinarian told me that he had a lot of plagues and because of that his gingivitis are progressing
So we did the teeth cleaning and the front 4 bottom teeth were extracted because the x-ray showed that it was already not the part of bone structure.

VETERINARIAN CONCLUSION:
-bad teeth genetics
-stop feeding raw
-we need to give him all possible care and to change the diet to DENTAL
recommended by VOHC (dry food)
-wet canned food(ROYAL CANIN GASTROINTESTINAL, probably)cause of his blood in poo(but I know it is not working)

MY CONCERNS:
-I don't like the ingredients of dry dental food that is recommended by VOHC(THe HILLS and ROYAL CANIN)e.g. INGREDIENTS: Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Fat, Chicken Liver Flavor, .....
they have a lot of grains in it and I think it can cause the blood in my cat's stool
-Overall, I think that raw is better.

QUESTIONS

CAN I maintain the good dental health of my young cat still keeping the raw food as the main meal?
My idea was to keep the raw but to give him dental supplements, dental treats, brush his teeth daily, use water additives.
I think my veterinarian will insist on changing the diet. They always insist on THE HIlls dry food. But I feel they don't know about sphynx that much.

What you can suggest?
Did anyone have the same problem ?
What are your thoughts?

View attachment 99933

You are your pet’s best and only advocate! Your vet shouldn’t try to force you into any specific diet if you’re not comfortable with it. Keep in mind that most vets are not veterinary nutritionists and have limited knowledge on diet. My vet and I have agreed to disagree on diet (she does not like raw) and she is still able to diagnose / treat my cats despite us disagreeing. In my opinion, your vets opinion on diet is only an issue if they are unable to provide your cat with normal care due to your choice to feed raw (aka they want to blame all problems on the raw diet) or if they try to pressure you into a diet you’re not comfortable with. Standing up to a vet on diet issues is tough and uncomfortable but your cat is *YOUR* cat and YOU need to feel 100% comfortable with what you’re feeding him. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
I do not agree at all with your vet about raw being a cause of the dental issues. It is just bad genetics. My cat has the same problem. We have to go get her teeth cleaned yearly. Before I started brushing her teeth every day we had to go every 6 months. So believe me, it does make a difference. My guess though, is that you will have to take him in for annual cleanings the rest of his life.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm with @Sheldon13 . I feel like raw is better for the teeth as it contains small pieces of bone that I've always been told helps to keep their teeth clean. I also give them the occasional chicken neck as they really have to gnaw on it and I feel that helps with plaque, but who knows.

Eugenia

Lairian
I'm with @Sheldon13 . I feel like raw is better for the teeth as it contains small pieces of bone that I've always been told helps to keep their teeth clean. I also give them the occasional chicken neck as they really have to gnaw on it and I feel that helps with plaque, but who knows.
I was also wanted to try a chicken neck. My mom gave it all my cats back at home . But I was a bit afraid to do it with sphynx . He is so delicate. Through all my researches I found that the raw food is the best one.

Eugenia

Lairian
I do not agree at all with your vet about raw being a cause of the dental issues. It is just bad genetics. My cat has the same problem. We have to go get her teeth cleaned yearly. Before I started brushing her teeth every day we had to go every 6 months. So believe me, it does make a difference. My guess though, is that you will have to take him in for annual cleanings the rest of his life.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
I wouldn't say that she blames raw. But she wanted to switch from RAW to Dental dry FOOD.TO give him the best treatment .
First of all, I don't like the ingredients and that there are a lot of brown rice ,corn in the first place.
Secondly<I think that dry food and fiber cause his blood in the stool.I will brush it every day.Maybe you have some recomendation about toothbrush and toothpaste?

Eugenia

Lairian
You are your pet’s best and only advocate! Your vet shouldn’t try to force you into any specific diet if you’re not comfortable with it. Keep in mind that most vets are not veterinary nutritionists and have limited knowledge on diet. My vet and I have agreed to disagree on diet (she does not like raw) and she is still able to diagnose / treat my cats despite us disagreeing. In my opinion, your vets opinion on diet is only an issue if they are unable to provide your cat with normal care due to your choice to feed raw (aka they want to blame all problems on the raw diet) or if they try to pressure you into a diet you’re not comfortable with. Standing up to a vet on diet issues is tough and uncomfortable but your cat is *YOUR* cat and YOU need to feel 100% comfortable with what you’re feeding him. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you some much for the support I feel more confident right now with my feelings about this situation and I will try to find the perfect balance.

Back