Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

11 old Sphynx with rash, vomiting and not eating

ProudAunty

Lairian
Hi!!

I am the aunty of lovely a 11 months old Sphynx. He is momentanely ill and my sister doesn't know what to do.
Here is the story: On May 8th our cat ate a small piece of an artificial plant. In the early morning he started vomiting without being able to get anything out. The next day he vomited a piece of branch. During that night he vomited several times. On May 10th we took him to the vet and they did an ultrasound where they only found irritation of the intestine. They gave him a syrup to stop vomiting and a stomach protector and changed him to a wet feed diet. After a week under this regime, we started to add his usual Amanova feed (chicken kitten). He vomited the undigested food on several occasions. We were recommended another brand with more protein from Naturies Variety (also chicken) and better for this breed and we started to give it softened with water for a better digestion. From that moment on he was no longer vomiting and it seemed that the problem was being solved. However, since all this started, the cat's skin began to develop a rash of red bumps all over his body. The vet told us that it was an allergic reaction and that the best thing to do was to inject him with corticoids to stop it. He was injected twice and the improvement was fast but after the third day he developed the pimples again. The last thing we decided to do was to put him on an elimination diet. We started to give him chicken but after some days he wasn't getting better and he started refusing to eat. The same with rabitt and then we were giving him only salmon for a week but the rash has gotten much worst. He continues to manifest pimples and itching. We are reluctant to give him corticosteroid pills. On the other hand we have ruled out other possible triggers for his allergy or intolerance. But we need help in case we are missing something. If anyone has had something similar and can give us some guidance I would really appreciate it. It is very frustrating to see that something is wrong and not know what it is. The cat wants to eat, move and play. But something is not right and we need to find out. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• photo_2021-06-11 11.03.29.jpeg
    photo_2021-06-11 11.03.29.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 10
  • photo_2021-06-11 11.03.23.jpeg
    photo_2021-06-11 11.03.23.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 10

Marbleitches

Lairian
Did you test for environmental allergies with a dermatologist? My baby has severe environmental and food allergies, so it's taken us a year and a half to get it more under control. It looks just like her allergies, do you notice it more when the seasons change?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Gosh I am so sorry especially since you can sense your baby wants to eat. It might be time to get a second opinion. The saying 2 heads are better than one might be the key. My first thought seeing pic and not reading your post was a staph infection.