Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

15 week old kitten coughing - HELP!

Krameroni

Lairian
Hi all,

A few months ago I went through the loss of my kitten Benni when she was found to have contracted wet FIP. Now a few months later down the road I have a spunky new kitten, Kramer, who has 10x the energy my last kitten ever had.

I noticed the first day after picking up my new kitten that he was coughing several times a day but was otherwise very healthy and active. He mostly coughs in the morning, night, or after playing. After taking him to the vet she could hear no signs of fluid in the lungs but thought FIP was a possible a concern since my last kitten from the same breeder had contracted it.

My breeder has told me his coughing could be from his neutering three weeks ago....but the vet was highly doubtful. Then the breeder said she had never noticed him coughing and he had always been very healthy...which I found strange since he was coughing the first day I brought him home.

My kitten has been on antibiotics for about 5 days now with no noticeable improvement in his coughing, however he also hasn't shown any additional signs of being ill as he is still hydrated, eating like a piggie, playing hard, and very alert. He also has had no fevers and is steadily gaining weight as a kitten should.

Has anyone else had a cat who coughs randomly? How long did it last and what did you do?

I would appreciate any help I can get as I am a very anxious cat mommy after what happened to my last kitten.

Thanks!

Sidenote:
He has no eye discharge, no sneezing, and doesn't seem to cough anything out.

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm sorry this is so stressful for you!

Could it possibly be an allergy? Are you using the same litter that the breeder used? Any scented products or laundry soap? Maybe your little one is sensitive to something?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So sorry to hear about your loss and now more stress on top of it with your new kitten. I can't even imagine how every little thing has you worried. @Kate asked some great questions. Did your vet rule out asthma as well? Did you video tape the cough for the vet?

Patti

Krameroni

Lairian
I'm sorry this is so stressful for you!

Could it possibly be an allergy? Are you using the same litter that the breeder used? Any scented products or laundry soap? Maybe your little one is sensitive to something?

It kind of sounds like a wet cough so I don't think it is allergies but it could be possible. The lack of sneezing makes me think it isn't an allergy.

Krameroni

Lairian
So sorry to hear about your loss and now more stress on top of it with your new kitten. I can't even imagine how every little thing has you worried. @Kate asked some great questions. Did your vet rule out asthma as well? Did you video tape the cough for the vet?

Patti

Thank you for the condolences :) The vet didn't even consider asthma for some reason. We are trying to get his cough on tape for the vet as we are due for another visit in a week to get him x-rays if the coughing does not stop. I will post about the visit after we go I am really really hoping whatever he has is not fatal he is such a lively kitten.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My boy Pete was recently just diagnosed with mild asthma.

He had a few cough attacks but here and there over a course of a few weeks and one morning not too long ago he had a really
bad cough attack so I took him to the vet and they did x-rays and thought it could be either feline herpes or asthma however Pete
had no runny eyes, or nose, or anything so after a second opinion it turns out he has asthma.

I would suggest getting the x-rays done for sure.

Do you feed your lil guy L-Lysine at all?

Krameroni

Lairian
My boy Pete was recently just diagnosed with mild asthma.

He had a few cough attacks but here and there over a course of a few weeks and one morning not too long ago he had a really
bad cough attack so I took him to the vet and they did x-rays and thought it could be either feline herpes or asthma however Pete
had no runny eyes, or nose, or anything so after a second opinion it turns out he has asthma.

I would suggest getting the x-rays done for sure.

Do you feed your lil guy L-Lysine at all?

We do not currently have L-Lysine, but are interested in trying.

Thank you for the link to information, we will look into it for our little guy.

Not the best video but we did manage to catch the cough on film.

(sorry if there are specific rules for posting links.)

Krameroni

Lairian
It does sound wet, like he is coughing something up. There is no frothing or liquid that is noticeable, but he does make a wheezing sound until he is able to clear it with a good cough.

Our vet has prescribed Doxycycline for him. That should hopefully clear this thing up.
It has been 5 days into his medicine, but the cough still seems pretty rough. I'm giving him lots of love, and rest.

**My boyfriend and I have found it strange that he is still extremely active even while coughing.

Last edited:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They will still play, eat, drink, use the litter box.
When, they, don't, then, they are really sick.
You should have seen a little difference, in him.
Is she drinking water good? I would finish the antibiotics,
have a lungs X-Ray. If the Vet, doesn't help much then, or
seems like he doesn't know. Get a second opinion.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Krameroni so sorry to hear of the loss of your first sphynx. Can imagine this makes you extra stressed about your new baby. Does he cough after having played or eaten? Or also when he's just sleeping or relaxing? My boy Toa has a cough that sounds like your boys cough regulary after playing or eating. My boy's cough only sounds a little dryer. Vet never found what is causing it and my boy is 2 years old now. Strong and healthy.

Hope you find out what is causing the coughing. Sending healing vibes. I think it's a good sign he's active and playfull.

Natasja

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Krameroni , ((hugs))) so sorry for the loss of your friend Benni

Sending pawsitive vibes and thoughts for adorable Kramer. Love your avatar pic

What antibiotics has he been on?
Some antibiotics don't work as well for sphynx .

Keep us updated often and all paws crossed for Kramers follow up visit

(We can't diagnosis but wanted to share to ask the vet to rule out possible allergies / reverse sneezing and show your vet the video .
I took my Toby to the vet with my video - of course didn't cough at the vet -
He was diagnosed with seasonal allergies / reverse sneezing
Vet sent me to the local store for a particular $3 over the counter med that cleared him up within a few days -)

Videos ar often appreciated by vet to help diagnosis and treat
Head smooches sent

Looking forward to positve updates

Last edited:

Krameroni

Lairian
I am taking Kramer to the vet tomorrow morning for another check up and additional round of antibiotics. I am really hoping we get some answers as to why he is coughing, and that it is something manageable. He still seems in good spirits and is acting like a normal healthy kitten other than the cough so fingers crossed! Trying to stay positive and sending him good vibes :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Krameroni , I took a video with my phone of Tobys coughing - my vet said she likes to see videos to help with diagnosis
My boy Was diagnosed with a reverse sneeze / seasonal allergies instead of cough.
Managed with an over the counter $3 medication Recommemded by my vet.

All paws crossed for good news updates
Lots of positve healing vibes for Kramers vet visit
Please keep us updated

Do you use any kind of scemted fabric softener ? Plug in air fresheners , Sprays, litterbox powder Deodorizers ?
Scemted litter? Just trying to Brainstorm to think of some of the things we see some sphynx Senstive too

Head kisses to Kramer !

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
(I am not a vet, so this is just my thoughts from my experience and your video): From the video it looks like he is swallowing and sort of licking his lips afterwards. Ash was doing that as well and it was the kitty version of bronchitis - which I guess is also known as feline asthma. The vet put him on prednisolone, which cleared it up. Hope it's something easily fixed for Kramer!
(For those that know Ash & his condition, this was before his HCM had progressed past mild and it was a low dose. He does not get prednisolone for ANYthing now.)
Here's Ash when he was coughing:
Dropbox - IMG_0258.mp4

Krameroni

Lairian
Our visit went well today. We were happy to hear Kramer has gained almost a full pound since his last visit. We decided to take him off of the doxy as it did not seem to be clearing things up as quickly as it should. The cough is improving, but still as frequent as before. That being said the vet was impressed with how healthy he looked, and was not overly concerned as the cough does not seem to be slowing him down at all.

We have tried to eliminate anything we believe could be causing the irritation. (removing scents/sprays, vacuuming dust, etc.)
His litter does seem a little dusty as even I will start sneezing after cleaning it sometimes, so we're working to find something that might work better. We notice some triggers for the coughing include after exercise/running, exploring/sniffing corners, eating, and resting. However, it is sporadic as he will not always cough after those triggers. We notice the cough does sound very similar to other videos we have seen of cats with bronchitis or asthma.

We are just monitoring him, and giving him lots of love. We have another visit next Wednesday for his next set of vaccinations, and if the cough is still persistent we will do some xrays/further testing to determine what is causing it. Thank you all for the kind wishes.

Thunderheader

Lairian
I you are looking for a litter suggestion, I use hardwood pellets, very limited dust and mess compared to the grainy standard kind.

I have been buying mine at Canadian Tire for $5.99 for a 40lb bag.

Attachments

• 4070-0014_wood_pellets_copy.jpg
    4070-0014_wood_pellets_copy.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 20

Krameroni

Lairian
@Thunderheader I have read that some cats do not enjoy the feeling of the pellets on their feet. We've changed his litter from Naturally Fresh to World's Best. We already notice it is quite less dusty, and clumps much better.

He was still coughing after the first day, but today he seem's to be improving. We're very excited to see Kramer is able to wake up, and go about his normal routine without as many coughing fits. He has only coughed once so far.

We are not sure if this is because of the litter switch, his second round of worm medication, or if the cough/cold/whatever it is has simply started to subside on it's own. We are just happy to see him enjoying himself without stopping to cough in between.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've posted about pellet litter in another thread. :)
I use it here too -- now, all wood litter is not equal.
20161224_141657.jpg

The one on the left is similar to woodburner pellets in size. (German company DM) Pixie hates the one on the left.
The one on the right is a cheap universal pet litter sold in a German supermarket -- notice the size difference. That one she likes.

This does *not* clump, but is actually cleaner and less dusty than any other litter I've used.
More labour intensive though.

Back