Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

2 Sphnx in one carrier

Lisa L

Lairian
Hi there,
I'm about to get my second sphynx! So excited! My current sphynx likes to join me on short car trips to see my great grandmother.

So I am curious if folks recommend that when the second one has joined our family, if it is a best practice to always travel in separate carriers or if it is ok to put them in one slightly larger carrier for the small car trips?

Or is this something that I just need to test out?

Thanks!

Lisa

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Lisa! :)

That is so exciting that you will be bringing home your second sphynx soon! You will have to be sure to post photos for us all to see!
We have had Loki and Gatsby in the same carrier, we just bought a larger one so they both have space to move around and aren't cramped in it. I am sure as long as your two are getting along, having both in one wouldn't be a big issue. And you could always test it out before hand to be sure.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there,
I'm about to get my second sphynx! So excited! My current sphynx likes to join me on short car trips to see my great grandmother.

So I am curious if folks recommend that when the second one has joined our family, if it is a best practice to always travel in separate carriers or if it is ok to put them in one slightly larger carrier for the small car trips?

Or is this something that I just need to test out?

Thanks!

Lisa
Hi @Lisa L and congratulations on expecting your second one. :)
Not all nakeds or cats for that matter enjoy a car ride. Others love it. Basically for me and my experiences, the majority of all of my cats I have now and have had over the years (sphynx or furries) have absolutely hated the car.

I have a separate carrier for each of my cats, but one time I put two together to go to the vet (the larger carrier was from one of my dogs and it's a bigger carrier then the individual cat carriers I use).
I took 4 or 5 of my nakeds to the vet that day and only two of them shared a carrier. I found that they were both quiet during the short car ride to the vet...whereas, the others in their own carriers carried on like lunatics crying the whole way there and back home!

If the new baby and your sphynx get along well right from the start without any problems, then for sure put them together in one carrier if you can. But have a back-up plan with two separate carriers just in case. Just wait until you know that the older one isn't a neck biter, etc. so that the baby doesn't get overpowered while you are driving.

I want to see pics of the new baby when you can. :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Lisa L congratulations with your soon to be new addition!
My both boys are brothers and I did get them at the same day. I always take them with me together in one carrier. A few weeks ago I added a new sphynx girl to the family. And I don't know if I can put her in one carrier with one of my two boys (the carrier is not big enough for three). They get along really well so I think it won't be a problem.
I think it's important you make sure they first had the time to get to know eachother really well and to see if they become really good friends (sleeping in the same basket, playing etc). If so you could try how they react on being in tge same carrier. I would only try it on a place where you can let them out of their carrier as soon as you notice they're not comfy being so close together and locked up. At least this is the way I want to try if my girl can be in a carrier together with one of my boys.

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello! I'm getting my second sphynx soon as well :joyful: I would recommend putting them in separate carriers. Keeping them in the same one could be too overwhelming for the car ride home (both for new & current sphynx). There's also a chance that they can take a while to warm up to each other so they may feel uncomfortable being in a carrier with a cat who they don't know yet. We like to slowly introduce our cats (let them sniff each other, etc. before letting them be together) to avoid any unwanted behavioral outbursts (mostly to keep the kitten safe).

Sphynx Asylum Dad

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We traveled for 4 days with all three kitties in the same (larger) carrier together. They seem to travel better together than apart, and it's MUCH easier for us. Hope it works out for you however you decide to do it.

@KansasSphynxMom