Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

3 year old in Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeriLeighR

Lairian
I just came across this and called, but they want 500 for her. I am within an hour, but cannot pay 500 right now, but hate to see her in the wrong hands, so putting this up on here. I hope she finds a great forever home. Her mom is getting a divorce and moving and said she doesn't want to keep her. How sad!

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pet/1560982814.html

Thanks.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She is cute.
These cats should be offered back to the breeder if they came from a breeder.
Most the breeders I know have contracts saying the kitten/cat goes back to them if you can not keep them.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Glad to see that ad was flagged and removed from Craigslist, that is NOT the place to be selling cats, and unless it's a reputable rescue or breeder that's put alot of money into saving a cat they didn't breed themself, it's NOT a rescue, and $500 is NOT a rehoming fee, and that's all Craigslist allows. Sadly, I see ALOT of Sphynx for sale in my area for $500 or less :( I wish I could buy them all to make sure they got into good homes, but I can't even come close to affording that! It's very sad, but I personally will never pay money to "rescue" an animal unless it's a mill shutting down, breeder going out of business, or something like that UNLESS they can provide me with recent vet bills or some other good reason I should give them that money. By paying back yard breeders or careless owners that didn't think the commitment through before bringing an animal home, it only encourages them to do it again! That said, I have been known to buy dogs to get them off of chains, and animals I knew where in neglectful homes, but as hard as it is to say no and turn away sometimes, it only adds to the problem and makes these types of people more likely to do it again! If nobody gave them what they want - MONEY - they'd eventually have to surrender the cat to someone and loose that money!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is because it has been flagged and removed.
Another problem with rescues is you do not know the history.
They can have HCM in the lines.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Very true, or any number of other hereditary problems or diseases that could make your other pets sick or kill them! I've been doing rescue for years, especially with dogs, just last month I lost 13 Italian Greyhounds that I rescued from a puppy mill to distemper and brucellosis. It just broke my heart. Oogie was a rescue - I've had him about a year now, and have put several thousands into his vet bills. Haley and Calipso where Craigslist rescues - Cali died a week later. Don't take me wrong, I applaud those who rescue, but it's not for someone wanting a cheeper pet - Rescues often cost much more to care for during their life due to the neglect or improper care, bad breeding, poor diet, and other factors early on that affect their health.

beeblebrox

Lairian
I see the ad was removed. Does anyone have the contact info from the person who posted that ad on craigslist. I am in Michigan and would love to know more...

I just came across this and called, but they want 500 for her. I am within an hour, but cannot pay 500 right now, but hate to see her in the wrong hands, so putting this up on here. I hope she finds a great forever home. Her mom is getting a divorce and moving and said she doesn't want to keep her. How sad!

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pet/1560982814.html

Thanks.

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hope she finds a great home! I realize that paying money might enable the bad owner but never the less the bald baby needs a home. I would take her if I could.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hope she finds a great home! I realize that paying money might enable the bad owner but never the less the bald baby needs a home. I would take her if I could.
I would to! I've dealt with alot of would-be sellers that just want money, in this economy it's hard for them to get that money! So if you keep in contact with them, work with them, and let them know you're interested, eventually they'll realize they're not going to get the money and will lower their price or just give you the cat - Doesn't always work, but by making them stress it out a while, it does make them think about the animal instead of the money. I sat on a guy for 6 months, letting him know I would help him if he ever decided to let me, and finally after 6 months he just gave me the dog I was trying to help him with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back