Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

PeppermintsDads

Lairian
The Hardest 31Hrs

It was 530pm June 30th having had peppermint slip from her harness and run down the street after being spooked by the overweight black cat. My heart breaks as I chase after her and then shatter as she makes a sharp turn towards the third house down's backyard. Which in our neighborhood is a forest, full of random cats, dogs, deer, rats, raccoons, and deeper you go you encounter Cougars, and bears as well! I chase through the house's narrow alley towards the backyard which has a steep decline down the hill at a 60-degree angle not transferable by a human, but a cat, yes. I run back to my house down the steps to our unit, which is three stories down and way less steep to get into the woods. Yelling her name tears in my eyes as bugs bite me, vines trip me, branches slap me and thorns rip at my skin she is no where's to be found heart racing I go back up out of the forest. While I call her name my landlord drives by me seeing me on the streets calling for her and asks what's wrong he says he will join in after his meeting and calls his daughter and her boyfriend to help. My husband rushes home early from work, the neighbors, and friends search, still no sign of my peppermint. We look under the stilts that hold the houses up upon the hillside and under decks of houses, still no sign of my baby. My soul starts to feel the weight of her lost, and sleep evades me it's 1230am it's quiet out I get dressed and enter the woods with but a phone's flashlight and a bag of treats. I head to where earlier that day my imagination said I heard her meow, but it's dark and noises of creatures surround me a single spider seen in its web looking rather sinister it is now 230am. I leave the woods and roam the streets until 330am in the morning, then I go home and post on Facebook asking if anyone seen her. The next morning it's 9am, I get in my car and drive to the bottom of the hill to the furthest house. I start to go door to door, asking if anyone has seen her, but there is no sign of her. It's over 30
C which is over 86f, I pray she is in some place cool and her dress to be her armor from the sun's rays of fire as well as thorns and other biting monsters of the woods. Eighty houses later no sign of my baby it's now 6pm July 1st Canada Day fireworks tonight will happen it's now 1225pm 5 mins to 31hrs missing I grab a housecoat and walk on my deck tears burning my eyes container of temptations kitty treats, even a bougie kitty needs her junk food once on a blue moon, she goes wild for the sound this container makes peppermint shake shake nothing peppermint 1228am shake shake hushed meow so quiet it's not even there, but I recognize it anywhere naked under this house coat I run into my house throw shoes over bare feet pj pants and any shirt I could find flashlight on my phone I see her I do she is at my fence I run to her silly idea you fool you spook her she runs up the neighbors stairs onto their deck I run down a 40-degree decline grabbing a branch to stop myself, so I could get to the stairs she is still on the deck goddess bless! One shake of the treats she stops and looks I reach deep in, so I have some in my hands and shake it again pist pist pist peppermint shake shake she comes to my hand I grab her holding her to my check hugging her running up the 40 degree incline up onto my stairs of my deck to the door pulling it open I slam the door closed to my husband in disbelief and tears. I become a puddle on the floor howling bawling in ugly tears, waking up the Unit above me and the landlord above that. I'm told the next day I was heard 3 doors down. It was the sounds of an overwhelming relief and heart fixing itself in disbelief, the pain and exhaustion of that 31 hours hitting me all at once while fireworks happening minutes later. I soak peppermints dirty dress with my tears. I take her and bath her only to find a couple of minor scratches thankfully and a few mosquito bites no burns her dress worked as her armor protecting her for 31 hrs of unknown. The next morning the exhaustion and pain take over as I'm barely able to walk, but that's ok, my peppermint is cuddling me today!

Peppermint's Tiktok
Peppermint's Instagram

An True Story by PeppermintsDads Aka Myles
b4bc5e18-4ff3-4c38-99c1-4b6e76c7959aMSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_.jpeg
received_567488871499275.jpeg

PeppermintsDads

Lairian
So happy your baby is home safe and sound. Also a great reminder to all, no harness is 100% cat proof and be sure to get the best harness that fits snug in hopes to avoid them slipping out.
amen amen amen she is skinny and small so it's not easy to find one but put it this way walks are haulted for the time being

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
amen amen amen she is skinny and small so it's not easy to find one but put it this way walks are haulted for the time being

What harness do you have now? I will recommend the Voyager harness size XS. It is Velcro, clip and ring secured. If she is really tiny, you can look at ferret harnesses as well.
33d2d6083655b44a9806db8a40c06ccd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PeppermintsDads

Lairian
her harness was a velcro and ring based one she slipped right through and it was snugg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh my what a scary 31 hours. I was holding my breath reading it. Happy to hear peppermint is safe back home. It'll take some days for you to settle and get the stress out of your system. Hugs

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow, that is scary. I am so glad all is well. But the terror for that entire time... awful. Hugs to you and yours.

By the way, where in Canada do you live? I'm in Vancouver!

PeppermintsDads

Lairian
Wow, that is scary. I am so glad all is well. But the terror for that entire time... awful. Hugs to you and yours.

By the way, where in Canada do you live? I'm in Vancouver!
I'm in Nanaimo!!!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
why Gibson's??

We will have a place there. My partner and I are in our early 50s and while we are in no way retiring soon, we want to move into a forever home now. And we'll be near family.

And... I've been a big city (although Vancouver isn't BIG) person all my life and since a year into the pandemic I'm just done living in Vancouver. The city has become even more insane. LOL

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with your Peppermint. My Cleopatra, who's been using a harness since she was 3 months old, slipped out of hers when she was about 6 years old. She wanted to go out the front door in her stroller, and I wanted her to walk out on her leash. I opened the door, and in about ten seconds, I was holding the leash with an empty harness attached. Fortunately, she ran back into the house.

I suggest that you look into a stroller. Our cats know they are safe spaces, and usually ride in the front. But if they get spooked, they go to the back, where they know they are safe. They also get down and walk on their leashes too.
596E2370-771C-4E54-AC8A-DD649D3F3C1F.jpeg