Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

4 month old kitten, underweight with chronic bloody soft poop/diarrhea

Mimikins

Lairian

This is Nemo our 4 month old kitten. He came to us a little scrawny with an ear infection which we were able to treat. He's always been a bit lazy/sleepy and his spine and ribs are always visible. His stools have been pretty inconsistent going from soft and brown to yellow, beige and dark grey. There is blood in his stools pretty frequently as well. His stomach is constantly making noises. He sometimes snores/makes little wheezing sounds.

On his first vet visit he weighed 2.69 pounds and about a week later he was at 2.1 pounds. During his first visit he was given a rabies vaccine and Revolution and we ordered a fecal exam. The fecal exam came back negative for Giardia but he was given Panacure anyway just to be safe as well as some anti nausea and diarrhea medicine (forgot the names). He was also prescribed some wet GI food (Royal Canin) and ate that stuff ravenously (up to 4x 3 oz. cans a day) and seemed to be doing better. He seemed less lethargic and started playing again. We even took him on a plane to Canada to meet my family. Per the vet's recommendation we've transitioned him off the GI food to a regular diet (he loves the Purina chunks in gravy).

As of now, Nemo is eating and drinking normally, his poops are still horribly smelly and soft and he is still his usual lazy self. He seemed to have gained a bit of weight as well but it's hard to say without weighing him.

Has anyone gone through anything similar with their kittens? Was there anything specific that helped?

Thanks in advance!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! Nemo is a cutie.
Did the vet test on other parasites then Giardia?
My boy Toa had diarrhea and smelly poop for the first 6 months. He was lazy and hardly ever played. He did get lots of differents meds. Nothing worked. Then I transfered to raw food and his poop were solid in no time. He was playing and running. I now think it was not so much the raw foos that helped him but the lack of kibbles. I now feed him wet food only (with some kibbles now and then) and he's healthy and happy.

To fatten Nemo up you could try the kitten glop recipe. I'll post the recipe for you.
But it's important to first rule out any parasites

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Here's the kitten glop recipe

Kitten Glop
Popularly known as "Kitty Glop" among breeders, this recipe is packed with nutrition for orphaned kittens, nursing mother cats and their babies, cats recuperating from illness and older cats who need nutritional supplementing. Some recipes call for canned goats milk; if you have it readily available it's fine, otherwise canned evaporated cows' milk works well.¹ The recipe sets up to a gelatin-like consistency in the refrigerator, and can be stored there for up to two weeks. It can also be frozen in an ice tray for convenience in serving. To serve, warm to room temperature. Do not pour back unused portions into the mix.

12 oz. of water
1 envelope Knox Gelatin
1 12oz can of whole evaporated milk (not skim)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons plain yogurt, not nonfat

Boil the water, add the gelatin - stir well. Add the following ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition: 1/2 of the canned milk, mayonnaise and yogurt; the rest of the milk. Variations include the addition of kitty vitamins, acidophilus, and/or pureed baby food meat such as lamb, chicken, or beef.

Mimikins

Lairian
Welcome to sphynxlair! Nemo is a cutie.
Did the vet test on other parasites then Giardia?
My boy Toa had diarrhea and smelly poop for the first 6 months. He was lazy and hardly ever played. He did get lots of differents meds. Nothing worked. Then I transfered to raw food and his poop were solid in no time. He was playing and running. I now think it was not so much the raw foos that helped him but the lack of kibbles. I now feed him wet food only (with some kibbles now and then) and he's healthy and happy.

To fatten Nemo up you could try the kitten glop recipe. I'll post the recipe for you.
But it's important to first rule out any parasites
I'm not exactly sure what they tested for but they told us that his stool sample was normal and that the Revolution should have taken care of other possible parasites.

We first tried feeding him Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain kibble which is what his breeder recommended and he would just kind of graze. This is when he starting dropping weight. We then tried Royal Canin kitten and not much changed. We saw that he was eating our adult cat's food (Purina Cat Chow) so we let him eat that too. We tried some wet canned food (Fancy Feast) and he devoured it but it did seem to make his diarrhea a bit worse. At the moment he has access to both types of kibble as well as as many cans of Fancy Feast as he wants.

I've been reading about the raw diet but I'm not sure where to start...

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Mimikins it can be so hard to find the best food for a kitten! I still remember how frustrated I was.

Do you have Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal? That's very easy on the tummy. Maybe worth a try.

If you want to try raw food you could start with trying a raw food brand that's ready when you buy it. But I know raw food isn't for everybody. It's expensive and you can't leave it our for long. So don't worry if raw isn't foe you.

Thing is, to make it more difficult, tummy issues can get worse when you change the food. Specially with kibbles it can cause tummy issues. Sigh!

The concern I have is you say the poop is smelly. Mostly poop being smelly is caused by a parasite. And for every parasite you have different meds. As far as I know there's not one medicine that kill all type of parasites.

Mimikins

Lairian
The vet did give him some of the wet Royal Canin GI food and he LOVED it. That's when he started to perk up a bit more. His poops were still soft but he did have a few normal ones here and there. He did instruct us to transition him back to regular food afterwards which we did.

I did just order a small bag of Stella & Chewy freeze dried rabbit raw food to test it out.

I will definitely ask the vet about the parasites to make sure they tested for everything.

Thank you so much for your answers :)

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello! Nemo is adorable! Obviously, the important thing is to get Nemo the nutrition he needs and get some weight on him. I don't have a lot of experience with changing foods, but I have had good luck with Royal Canin Kitten Persian Breed kibble. My breeder uses it and my two kittens have done really well with it since I brought them home. I have discussed raw with my breeder, and she suggested Stella and Chewy's. Maybe that will work for you if you are wanting to try out raw??
Good luck!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Mimikins mmm I wonder why your vet said to transfer back while your boy did well on Royal Canin GI. It's a food they can eat everyday for a long time.

Well hopefully your boy will do well on Stella & Chewy freeze dried raw. Good luck!

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Mimikins mmm I wonder why your vet said to transfer back while your boy did well on Royal Canin GI. It's a food they can eat everyday for a long time.

Well hopefully your boy will do well on Stella & Chewy freeze dried raw. Good luck!
That is a good point; I wonder why the vet didn't keep the kitten on it until he put some weight on??

Mimikins

Lairian
Just came back from the vet this morning.
  • Nemo is almost back to his original weight (2.69 lbs.) at 2.6 lbs but he should probably be more around 4 lbs at this point.
  • Vet mentioned that she may want to test for FIP but we declined for now. I think I would rather not know if he has it to be honest...
  • She gave us a 14 day supply of Flagyl, the diarrhea medicine. Last time he was only on it for 5 days so hopefully we see some improvement with a longer treatment. She also gave us some more probiotics to mix with his food.
  • She didn't really comment on his diet which we thought was odd because he hasn't been on a consistent diet since we got him.
  • She is really against the raw diet and recommended we put him back on the Royal Canin GI food (wet and dry) for an extended period of time.
  • His breeder recommended we try raw but I'm a little hesitant after both vets categorically advised against it.
The last few weeks have been pretty crazy for little Nemo with all the vet visits, car rides and trip to Canada so I hope that once we get him on a stable GI diet with minimal environmental stress we can get the diarrhea under control and he starts piling on the weight.

IMG_2215.JPG

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hang in there! Even though it's 5 years ago I still remember all too well how streds it is to have a sick kitten. The vet also tought Toa had FIP. He wss too tiny and too thin. Then on a stable diet he gained weight and became happy boy. So hope it'll be the same with Nemo
I think Royal Canin GI is a good choice!
Sending healing vibes! Come on Nemo, you can do it!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Keep us posted! I think a lot of vets don’t recommend raw is because they don’t sell it at clinics. My vet is all for the raw. I hope the prescription food helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Come on little guy. Hopefully the meds and a consistent routine/food do the trick. Will keep looking for your updates.

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Keep us posted! I think a lot of vets don’t recommend raw is because they don’t sell it at clinics. My vet is all for the raw. I hope the prescription food helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this. They receive zero education on it in vet school so advising kibble and canned is all they know. Doesn’t mean raw is a wrong thing to do. It’s very healthy and natural for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mimikins

Lairian
Quick update:
  • Nemo has been the most energetic he's even been since my last update. Constantly playing and running around the house.
  • He's not a fan of the GI food unfortunately but hopefully he comes around to it. This is weird because he really loved the "moderate calorie" version of the same food before but doesn't care for this one. Maybe it's the difference in texture... Anyway I've been mixing it with his beloved Fancy Feast for now to see if that helps.
  • He's been eating about 2 tbsp of Glop a day and seems to love that stuff.
  • His poops do seem to be getting better with the Flagyl, no more runny diarrhea, more like soft serve ice cream (sorry for the imagery). I still see some blood in it from time to time.
  • Overall he looks a lot healthier, his ribs and spine aren't showing as much as before. He does have a pretty big pot belly which is one of the things that worried me for FIP...

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for the update! Hopefully Nemo will start eating his GI food soon!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Yay Nemo is growing stronger!
Not there yet but on his way.
Funny my crew loves the Royal Canin GI and hardly eat the GI moderate calories. So there's definitly a difference in both.
Hope he learns to like it!
Lots of kittens have pot belly's. Certainly after a good meal. Hopefully it's just that kind of pot belly!

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just came back from the vet this morning.
  • Nemo is almost back to his original weight (2.69 lbs.) at 2.6 lbs but he should probably be more around 4 lbs at this point.
  • Vet mentioned that she may want to test for FIP but we declined for now. I think I would rather not know if he has it to be honest...
  • She gave us a 14 day supply of Flagyl, the diarrhea medicine. Last time he was only on it for 5 days so hopefully we see some improvement with a longer treatment. She also gave us some more probiotics to mix with his food.
  • She didn't really comment on his diet which we thought was odd because he hasn't been on a consistent diet since we got him.
  • She is really against the raw diet and recommended we put him back on the Royal Canin GI food (wet and dry) for an extended period of time.
  • His breeder recommended we try raw but I'm a little hesitant after both vets categorically advised against it.
The last few weeks have been pretty crazy for little Nemo with all the vet visits, car rides and trip to Canada so I hope that once we get him on a stable GI diet with minimal environmental stress we can get the diarrhea under control and he starts piling on the weight.

View attachment 94883
My vet also discourages the raw diet. Her reason is she feels that there might not be enough vitamins and nutrients as in other food. I feed my kitty Royal Canin Gastrointestinal wet food that I buy from my vet and dry Royal Canin dental care. I also feed her a Royal Canin high fibre dry food. My kitty has anal gland issues. If you want the exact names on the bags and cans please ask, I can't get up to check at the moment beacuse Raphael is sleeping on me!

Allynoelx3

Lairian
Royal Canin made my kitten have terrible stools. I give her Nulo cat and kitten limited diet single protein turkey dry food. My vet also gave us some probiotics, It seems that it has helped my kitten alot her stools are 95% normal now.

seeking2

Lairian
My vet had my kittens on a probiotic. I think it can be bought at the feed store. It sprinkles on the food so is very easy to use.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bkmtrips

Lairian

This is Nemo our 4 month old kitten. He came to us a little scrawny with an ear infection which we were able to treat. He's always been a bit lazy/sleepy and his spine and ribs are always visible. His stools have been pretty inconsistent going from soft and brown to yellow, beige and dark grey. There is blood in his stools pretty frequently as well. His stomach is constantly making noises. He sometimes snores/makes little wheezing sounds.

On his first vet visit he weighed 2.69 pounds and about a week later he was at 2.1 pounds. During his first visit he was given a rabies vaccine and Revolution and we ordered a fecal exam. The fecal exam came back negative for Giardia but he was given Panacure anyway just to be safe as well as some anti nausea and diarrhea medicine (forgot the names). He was also prescribed some wet GI food (Royal Canin) and ate that stuff ravenously (up to 4x 3 oz. cans a day) and seemed to be doing better. He seemed less lethargic and started playing again. We even took him on a plane to Canada to meet my family. Per the vet's recommendation we've transitioned him off the GI food to a regular diet (he loves the Purina chunks in gravy).

As of now, Nemo is eating and drinking normally, his poops are still horribly smelly and soft and he is still his usual lazy self. He seemed to have gained a bit of weight as well but it's hard to say without weighing him.

Has anyone gone through anything similar with their kittens? Was there anything specific that helped?

Thanks in advance!
My name is also nemo! I hope you get better

Mimikins

Lairian
Royal Canin made my kitten have terrible stools. I give her Nulo cat and kitten limited diet single protein turkey dry food. My vet also gave us some probiotics, It seems that it has helped my kitten alot her stools are 95% normal now.
I forgot to mention that Nemo is also on 2 different types of probiotics at the moment (Proviable paste and capsules)

Mimikins

Lairian
Nemo has been eating a bit of the GI wet food but not as much as I would like. At this point I think he may not be a fan of chicken since when we were feeding him the Fancy Feast he always gobbled up the tuna and salmon ones but only nibbled at the chicken ones. I noticed that the Royal Canin GI foods are both chicken based so that could explain why he's not a fan. The moderate calorie one that he liked has "pork by-product" as the first ingredient so that would also make sense with my theory.

He started having diarrhea again from time to time and I think the Glop might be causing it. The last time it came out looking like milk =/ I think we're going to hold off on the Glop for the time being to see what happens.

Other than that he's still pretty active and loves to chase his wand toy around. His ribs and spine are still showing but he does look a bit healthier. His pot belly is still worrying me a bit but it doesn't seem to be bothering him and he loves when I rub it. Could it just be gas?

IMG_2252.JPG
IMG_2253.JPG

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Nemo has been eating a bit of the GI wet food but not as much as I would like. At this point I think he may not be a fan of chicken since when we were feeding him the Fancy Feast he always gobbled up the tuna and salmon ones but only nibbled at the chicken ones. I noticed that the Royal Canin GI foods are both chicken based so that could explain why he's not a fan. The moderate calorie one that he liked has "pork by-product" as the first ingredient so that would also make sense with my theory.

He started having diarrhea again from time to time and I think the Glop might be causing it. The last time it came out looking like milk =/ I think we're going to hold off on the Glop for the time being to see what happens.

Other than that he's still pretty active and loves to chase his wand toy around. His ribs and spine are still showing but he does look a bit healthier. His pot belly is still worrying me a bit but it doesn't seem to be bothering him and he loves when I rub it. Could it just be gas?

View attachment 94967View attachment 94968
Does it change significantly after he eats a large meal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro