Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

4 month old kitten, underweight with chronic bloody soft poop/diarrhea

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Happy to hear there is improvement! Thank for the update.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mimikins thanks for the great update! keep them coming!
hugs n head smooches and continued positive vibes !

Mimikins

Lairian
I wish I had a better update for you guys but unfortunately our sweet boy left us on December 31st.

Since Nemo was doing better and all his vitals were good the doc said we could finally move forward with the neuter. He spent all day at the vet and they told us that everything went well and we could pick him up that day at 5 pm. He seemed a little woozy but nothing too alarming. We took him home and he ate a bit and tried to drink but he was still dizzy from the sedative so we put him in his favorite blanket and he went right to sleep. In the next few days the dizziness seemed to go away but we could tell that something was wrong. His 3rd eyelid was showing and he just wasn't acting like our boy. His weight continued to drop despite him eating well and drinking. Even his poops were formed and normal. We took him to the vet where they gave him some subcutaneous fluids to hopefully perk him up.

About a week post op my husband and I had to leave for Canada to visit my family for the holidays and had his mom who lives with us take care of sweet Nemo while we were gone. We kept a close eye on him through our nanny cam and constant updates from my MIL. Since he didn't seem to be getting better we had her take him to the Animal Hospital where he was put on IV fluids for 48 hours and diagnosed with mild to moderate Pancreatitis. His vitals were great the whole time he was there and the blood tests only showed elevated white blood cell count due to the Pancreatitis. He ate well on his own and drank normally so they discharged him with some nausea medicine. My MIL took him home and he seemed to be doing well. He was doing better on all accounts and we were hopeful that he was going to pull through.

2 days after he was discharged from the hospital, we received a call at 6 am from the animal hospital telling us that they had been trying to revive poor Nemo but that he remained unresponsive. This was completely unexpected and my husband and I were devastated. We had been watching him eat and rest in his favorite spot by the fireplace just a few hours ago... Just like that our sweet angel was gone forever.

We declined further tests as we had already spent close to $6,000 on the hospitalization and nothing mattered anymore because our boy was gone and there was nothing that could change that.

I didn't want to hear the full details from my MIL because I don't think I could handle it but from what I understand it was very quick and he did not seem to be in pain when it happened. The doctors are still not sure what happened to him but my husband and I think it was most likely FIP.

Needless to say that coming home was very difficult and we are still utterly heartbroken. I am overcome by a feeling of guilt for not being there for my baby when he needed me most and I can't help but think that this was all our fault for getting him neutered, causing him extra stress because of the move etc.

Nemo never really strived but we did everything we could to give him the best chance but in the end it wasn't enough.

We really appreciate all the support you guys have given us through the good times and the bad and I hope this thread can be informative for anyone struggling with some of the issues we went through with sweet Nemo.

IMG_6174.JPG

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh no! I’m so very sorry for the loss of your boy Nemo. My heart breaks for you. He was such a handsome cutie. Hugs for you.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mimikins oh sweetie I am so sorry your sweet Nemo got his angel wings...
Nemo knows he is loved eternally beyond measure. (((comforting hugs))))
fly free and high little one

"Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever. "
-from poem for cats

1578245569556.png

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Bless your beautiful family. And my condolences to you. Just my opinion here, but I think you did absolutely everything you could have for Nemo. That much is obvious. Being realistic here: would be have lived if you had not gone ahead with the neuter? No way to know. My guess is you may gave had him a little longer, but if he had FIP as you are thinking, unfortunately the loss of him was an eventuality. I think you did what any of us would do and trusted your vet. I’m not blaming them at all, there may be know way they could have predicted it either. But they are the experts so you deferred to them as is typical.

Again, I’m so sorry your little boy has passed on. I hope someday you are able to open your heart to another lucky Sphynx baby.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I am so sorry to hear your baby got their angel wings. Fly high little one. You were loved beyond measure and that is everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk