Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

5 months in and my first baby is still not sure of me

Megangarland

Lairian
I got my first sphynx about 3 years ago. He passed away from FIP and after some time I got his brother to join my home. Nevick is a crazy, handsome, funny and smart as hell cat that is 2 years old now and I decided I wanted a second for him. He obviously was territorial, and did not like this new baby, but got softer and softer. NOW she is territorial of me and I try so hard to play with Nevick and cuddle with him and just do whatever I can to show him mama is still here, but it's hard because Mila doesnt miss anything. She has pushed him out of sleeping in our bed and just play in general, Nevick always hangs back. He seeks love from me still, but I feel like this has thrown his whole world off. Any kind of help or advice is so apprecoated!!

DaniLuvsOliver

Lairian
Have you tried engaging them in play together? I recently saw a change in behavior in my senior Tabby (who was our solo cat for 10+ years) and our new, territorial Sphynx boy, Oliver. After three months, getting them to engage in chasing a laser or toy together has seemed to get them more at ease together. Jack (our old boy) is finally willing to share space and doesn’t seem as displaced as he used to be.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @Megangarland and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! How long has it been since you brought home the new kitty? it does take time and work for them to become friends. Play time which involves both of them is a good start. What a pair of cuties you have there! Please enjoy the community! :)

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That sounds like a tough situation. I guess I would suggest to just make sure he is involved in everything. Don’t let her push him out of bed. Does he just not want to stay where she is or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Megangarland welcome to the lair family
(((Hugs ))) that your first got his angel wings

My girl rules the boys . At bedtime I trained them each to their spot on the bed with me ... she complains to the boys and wants her exact spot just soo.. prissy priss.
She Always settles in first , then I tap on the blankets , the boys come running to be tucked in .

I like to use two toys at once to play .. like two pole toys or Dabird toys ..

Have you tried a warm blanket from the dryer on your lap or bed ?
All territory is soon forgotten as they run to snuggle in it

Hugs n head smooches to adorables Nevick and Mila

Some just take a little longer ... my quiet boy is now very very outgoing
Look forward to your journey with us

Last edited:

CathyO

Lairian
Our first kitten continues to be displaced by our second kitten (3 months apart). I couldn't get used to having a toy in each hand to play with them both at the same time...plus, one of the cats don't like to play when the other is around. I've recently discovered they can play with the same toy if there is a barrier between them like a blanket or if the picky cat is on top of a plastic fabric "play gym" and can't see the non-picky cat below. They got to a stage now where each wait for their turn to play. I pet the "attention starved" kitty when the other is too full to care or is heavily sleeping.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I got my first sphynx about 3 years ago. He passed away from FIP and after some time I got his brother to join my home. Nevick is a crazy, handsome, funny and smart as hell cat that is 2 years old now and I decided I wanted a second for him. He obviously was territorial, and did not like this new baby, but got softer and softer. NOW she is territorial of me and I try so hard to play with Nevick and cuddle with him and just do whatever I can to show him mama is still here, but it's hard because Mila doesnt miss anything. She has pushed him out of sleeping in our bed and just play in general, Nevick always hangs back. He seeks love from me still, but I feel like this has thrown his whole world off. Any kind of help or advice is so apprecoated!!
Hello !
Don’t you think our nakid babies are like children ! Being the only girl with 4 brothers . When ever a new baby came home we had an adjustment period the second from youngest felt it more than the rest of us !
So I am guessing our nakid babies are just the same ! Cleo was really put out when Bagins came along then Bagins when Nailah arrived !
In as much as Bagins is still a bully boy ! He spends about 85% of the time plays chase with Nailah and then 15% of the time beating her up !
I just think as mine have bonded so will yours and nevick will come back round to you ! And you will be a happy family again . Just encourage him to come to you and try with the new little one at the same time
Best wishes
Xxx❤❤❤❤Xxx

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Make sure when you pet one that you also pet the other. Don't give them any reason to be jealous. Other than that, I would include them both in playtime and everything. If Mila chases Nevick off, I would give her a stern no and bring him back. Cats have their personalities and they can be dominant or passive but they learn. Mila is probably young but she's going to figure it out.

MeadowThorne

Lairian
Can you carry both of them together?
I can put yourself n him in a room alone a bit when she picks on him or her in a room alone like a time out?
Catnip can bond but then again it can cause rowdyness .
When she's had let her I ow n pick him up n give him some loving.