Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

6 month old Sphynx Coughing

MaisyMom

Lairian
Hi,

My kitten is coughing and I am not sure what to do. She sounds like she is trying to get up a hair ball but since they are hairless its odd. She doesnt do it all of the time, just about once a day. I heard her cough several times after eating/drinking late last night. Any ideas what could be causing this? She seems healthy otherwise. She eats well, drinks well and plays with our other sphynx.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Stephanie

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

My kitten is coughing and I am not sure what to do. She sounds like she is trying to get up a hair ball but since they are hairless its odd. She doesnt do it all of the time, just about once a day. I heard her cough several times after eating/drinking late last night. Any ideas what could be causing this? She seems healthy otherwise. She eats well, drinks well and plays with our other sphynx.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Stephanie
Has it been for a long period of time? Any other symptoms, runny nose, watery eyes? If only recent, I would say if eating, drinking and pee/ poop is normal, I would give it a few days and see if its just a cold. If worsens, see the vet sooner then later.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MaisyMom ,I would call your vet office and see if they want you to bring her in or monitor for a day-
Sometimes a quick trip to the vet and treat the symptoms without going crazy into testing and perhaps some antibiotics does the cure

**** I am in Florida too - you can save money by having your vet call in an antibiotic to Publix pharmacy- during your vet visit..

***Publix will give you liquid form suspension antibiotics if you ask too for no charge ** I just did this with Yoda
Usually the liquid antibiotics is around $27 at the vets. My vet doesn't mind calling it in but I had to ask or they were just selling the pills or liquid for $20-30..

**Also, always Look in her mouth to and double check nothing in there that shouldn't be

((Healing kisses) to your baby-hope to see more pics of her on the lair! She is a cutie!
Please keep us posted

Ps: did I miss you getting a kitty? :)
Are we talking about Baby Maisy or a new kitty Sphynx ?

Tammy

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MaisyMom , have you changed litter brands or types? Does she cough after using the box?

(We are using cats pride fresh n light fragrance free in the green jug from Publix - often goes on sale BOGO and is low dust fragrance free)

Do you add any litter box deodorizers? They creat dusty clouds when a cat digs in the litter box
Changes Fabric detergent or fabrics softeners?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 22

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mine cough sometimes after drinking - I swear they don't know how to get the water down the right way. It is usually about once a day.

Yes, litter can cause coughing as well.

Try and get a video of it if you can - that way if you need to show the vet you can.

Hope you get it figured out!!!

MaisyMom

Lairian
Thanks for the tips. I did just recently switch litters, but I think the coughing started before the switch. She has no other symptoms just the cough. Thanks for the video tip, I will try to get that for the vet.

@Yoda mom - I still cannot find a vet familiar with this breed near me. Where in Florida is your vet located? I have tried meeting with several in my area and didnt really feel comfortable with them.

I did get another Sphynx, but the coughy one is Maisy. I now have Margo who is a lavender and pinkish color with blue eyes. I need to post pics! LOL

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Masiymom, how long have you had Margo?! Congrats!
If Margo was recent, sometimes a bit of a cold can go around

My vet is in New Smyrna Beach,Fl Dr. Jackson @ Beachwood Animal Hospital
We are on the East coast south of Daytona Beach

Perhaps posting on the vet recommend link forum for your area??
It is important you feel comfortable and have a good working relationship with your vet-
And you are doing good to interview several
Some folks prefer cat only clinics - not sure if any I your area-
Worth exploring with a google search or ask on the forum

Please give Maisy healing kisses from me and Margo a great big welcome head kiss!
The video is a great idea! They never do it while they are at the vets office!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Could it be possible she has ate something you are not aware of, that she shouldn't have?
Maybe it's hung in her throat? Hope you find out what is going on.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MaisyMom , checking in on updates on Maisy?
Were you able to get her seen by a vet?
Even if it's not your favorite vet-
Would hurt to get her in for a diagnosis and medication if needed

You can fine tune a vet search later

Hope to hear good updates and see pics of your babies!

MaisyMom

Lairian
sorry it took me a while to get back in here and post. As strangely as the cough started it strangely stopped. Then the new kitten did it a couple of times but never did again. Maybe they had a little cold going on. @Yoda mom I have heard of people giving their cats Lysine, do you do this with yours?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MaisyMom,
Hi Stephanie! yah for th coughs being gone! I understand it can happen with newness in the household

Yes, I do supplement with l-lysine for maintenance sprinkled mixed in their wet food, then they share the 3 oz can.
http://sphynxlair.com/community/posts/345120/

I bought the eniysl-f paste from the vet and they hate it- figures - the more expensive, the more disliked

** I use the people 100% pure powder NOW brand l-lysine powder I got from Toby's mom when I adopted him. (I beleive its on amazon for $13 for a huge container)

**The powder l-lysine has by far has been the easiest to use- and very inexpensive

(There's another people brand someone else suggest but I have a brain fart at this moment)

I am so glad to hear coughs are gone! Give kisses to Maisy and Margo from me! And cookies to the pups!
Did you ever find a vet near you?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back