Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

7 mo with tartar on teeth?

malvina05

Lairian
Hi all,
So my 7 month old kitten got all his adult teeth in. They were nice and pearly white just a month ago, as I remember. I feed him Blue Wilderness kitten dry and 1 can of wet every 2 days. I also buy him high quality treats from whole foods, trader joes, or a pet store (grain-free).

Today was spa day so I took a look at his teeth and it appears there is tartar! That does not seem normal for such a young cat with brand new set of pearly whites. Isn't he too young for teeth cleaning!?:arghh: Please let me know your experience. Do you brush your cats teeth? If so, with what and how often?

Thanks!
-Concerned mommy

Attachments

TorchicPyro

Lairian
I think it's normal when cats eat dry food to get some tartar built up. When I adopted my Kittens(about 5 months old in age) they had some tartar build up. I've brushed their teeth for 3 weeks now,twice a day, and it surely made a difference! They have white teeth again.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Usually a cats teeth won't need to be cleaned by a Vet until at least age 3.
But, if, your cat has drooling, bad breath, missing teeth, difficult chewing, or redness at gum line, then
they need to be cleaned.
You can purchase a finger brush and animal tooth paste and clean daily. This will ensure great dental health
just like for us.
Here is a link you can get 3 for $5.99 plus which you can get them different places.

http://www.chewy.com/dog/petzlife-finger-brush-3-pack/dp/101484?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=PetzLife&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKEAiAt4mlBRDXwt_m9ICU4DcSJAAS_X0Wn4owhnXUL5FqCwG1UGZXUMb7Dy495eHxja9hTnbK0xoCPJ3w_wcB

malvina05

Lairian
Usually a cats teeth won't need to be cleaned by a Vet until at least age 3.
But, if, your cat has drooling, bad breath, missing teeth, difficult chewing, or redness at gum line, then
they need to be cleaned.
You can purchase a finger brush and animal tooth paste and clean daily. This will ensure great dental health
just like for us.
Here is a link you can get 3 for $5.99 plus which you can get them different places.
Thank you so much for your response. I think it is way too soon to take him in for a cleaning, given he has only had his new teeth for 1 month! I'll start with the brushing :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,
So my 7 month old kitten got all his adult teeth in. They were nice and pearly white just a month ago, as I remember. I feed him Blue Wilderness kitten dry and 1 can of wet every 2 days. I also buy him high quality treats from whole foods, trader joes, or a pet store (grain-free).

Today was spa day so I took a look at his teeth and it appears there is tartar! That does not seem normal for such a young cat with brand new set of pearly whites. Isn't he too young for teeth cleaning!?:arghh: Please let me know your experience. Do you brush your cats teeth? If so, with what and how often?

Thanks!
-Concerned mommy
It's hard to tell in the picture, it may also be slight staining due the the sebum (oil) build up on the teeth -the oils can sometimes transfer over and stain their teeth from daily cleanings with their tongue, its can also be caused by anti - biotics if they were ever given to the cat at any time in their life. :)

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Those teeth look pretty clean conspired to my Violet's and she had them cleaned in 2014. I think there like people and each one has a different make up. My Hairry had nasty teeth from day one when he was a kitten.