Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

7 month meets 9 week old brother HELP!

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Ok, my boy Lizzard has been with me for 5 months now. He's my little man. Although he is no longer little anymore. I decided to introduce another male kitten (same father, different mother) and we brought Clark home last night. I did scent swapping and Lizzard knew something was up. Clark's safe place is my spare bedroom. While in there Lizzard on the opposite side of the door was meowing and cooing. So we decided to try a stab at introductions. There was a lot of sniffing followed by Lizzard pinning him and Clark let out a little Yelp. My heart sank. I separated them. I'm trying to pay more attention to Lizz (he's cuddling with me as we speak) but I'm just nervous about this process. Any tips? IMG_20180210_081711.jpg IMG_20180204_230820.jpg

Schrodinger

Lairian
I think Lizzard may just be trying to figure Clark out. Nine weeks is a little young to leave mom, and if Lizzard left at around the same age, his play skills may need a little fine tuning. So, he may just need to learn that one must pounce and pin gently when one's play partner is half their size. You want to watch for things like Lizzard taking cues from Clark and backing off if Clark hisses or yelps. You could also let them meet a few times through a thin barrier like a baby gate. The two could sniff one another and touch paws etc, but Lizzard wouldn't be able to play too roughly, and Clark could easily move away if he feels overwhelmed.

Schrodinger

Lairian
Thanks everyone. I don't know if I have a gate that would stop Lizzard. There is a reason I named him that. He can climb anything! I'll keep you posted.

Ha, fair enough. There's not a lot that stops Dmitri, either, once he realizes he can jump/climb over something. I've had some luck using a baby gate across the bottom of a door and then hanging a sheet or blanket down from a rope or pull-up bar across the top, so it looks like the baby gate is a see-though area in a solid wall, if that makes sense. It doesn't work forever, but it's definitely stalled him for a few days until he figured it out.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lizzardkitty , Happy Clark gotcha! Lots of slow intros and their comfort level amd build up time

I also used the "safe room" woth a baby gate - Toby is like a monkey
So I took the bs y gate and cable tied it at its fullest position.

Then I turned it sideways in the door way amd he,d it in place with my foot
Amd tossed treats om each side amd out a cat dancer cheap toy through the baby gate so each could play simutaneously doubly om each side -

Sometimes it was peek amd hide amd other times more interactive
So I just went at their comfort level
Amd haaa took Toby off the baby gate when he tried to climb it whi,e I supervised meet n greets on each side

I also swap free roaming
I put Toby in my bedroom and let new kitty explore out of the safe room at his comfort level

I cross scent hand towels amd place by each foods dish for Positve reinforcement

I put Toby on a harness and opened new kitty door amd let kitty come out on free will

I got two Dabird toys amd played simutaneously in open l omg room neutral zone and tossed treats

Watching body language I then removed harness and kept up the dual Dabird play

Afterward I put kitty bsck in their room and a Toby free roaming
With baby gate meet n greets

Lots of separate attention to both as you are doing

You are doing good!
I train them like a dog with lots of praise amd Positve reinforcement

Just keep it up! It's like one day all of a sudden they go okay amd settle and I find them cuddled together :)Personally I found my males to settle with each other sooner Than I have with female intros - just depends on personalities amd they establish the pecking order

Look forward to pics amd updates!

Head smooches sent!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations with Clark. What a handsome boy he is. Lizzard will need some time to get used to his new brother. Take it slow and they'll learn to accept eachother

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Second session. My boyfriend is so much calmer. I jumped into the shower and he decided to have the boys play. They played for 5-10 minutes. Lizzard would bite Clark but then start licking him. It got a little rough, which makes me think Lizzard just doesn't realize his size. One Clark tried to hide, I put him back in his room. He purred and curled up and fell asleep. Lizzard cried behind the door. I ignored it until he stopped and now Lizzard and I are cuddling in the living room.

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Another session. This time my bf held the kitten in his lap and Lizzard just kind of stalked. Clark got a small swat in and now Lizzard's tail stays curled for the most part. I think Lizzard is spoiled and it might take longer. Oh I hope this works out because both of these cats are my family and I can't imagine my life without them. People tell me it's because I have both males but Lizzard is nuetered. Gosh I hope it randomly settles down.

Schrodinger

Lairian
This all sounds really good and normal. I think Lizzard and Clark are going to be fine together. Remember that cats are territory-based creatures and they tend to need more time to adjust to change than dogs. It's not unusual for an adjustment period to last several weeks or even longer. The fact that both kittens are curious about the other, and neither is hissing or growling, are all great signs! Lizzard will learn how to gentle his play style as he gets more familiar with Clark. In the meantime, just keep doing what you're already doing: offer short periods for the kittens to interact, separate them if Clark seems like he's had enough, and make sure each cat gets some daily love from the humans in the house.

In my personal experience, male cats actually tend to be a bit more flexible and "roll with the punches" whereas it's the female cats that can get very bent out of shape if everything isn't just so. That's a pretty broad generalization, though, and individual personalities vary a lot!

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Another session. This time my bf held the kitten in his lap and Lizzard just kind of stalked. Clark got a small swat in and now Lizzard's tail stays curled for the most part. I think Lizzard is spoiled and it might take longer. Oh I hope this works out because both of these cats are my family and I can't imagine my life without them. People tell me it's because I have both males but Lizzard is nuetered. Gosh I hope it randomly settles down.

It can take months for kitties to LOVE each other. Kittens are normally easier and gender really isn’t much of an issue if they are altered. Sounds like you’re doing a great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Try not to worry too much. It all sounds normal and already quit well with no real fighting. Two males are no problem so don't let other people scare you with this kind of stories

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Progress today. Clark work up crying for Lizzard. Lizzard was ready to play. Our session lasted 30 minutes. I realized that Lizzard is very protective of me. Once Clark jumps up to play with me, that is when Lizzard becomes rough and the session ended. I give Lizzard all the love afterwards. It's funny now Lizzard is meowing like he misses Clark. It doesn't help that I have had a cold for weeks so I'm a little sleep deprived. Once I'm in better health I'm sure this will seem like it's progressing a lot faster. Thank you all for your support and input. It puts me at ease.IMG_20180211_103722_01.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lizzardkitty , you are doing great with Lizzard and Clark!
I see lots of positives! Amd in no time I am sure you will be sharing pics of them sleeping together

Fwiw my boys are very bonded
For some reason I have always had more succes with male to male pairings

Clark and Lizzard progress is moving along great! Woo Hoo!
Head smooches sent !

Feel better soon vibes to you!

Ely2400

Lairian
Thank you for your questions and for the tips! I'm thinking to bring home a brother for my Bruce...my "only" problem is that I haven't a room where I can separate the new brother! Bruce is the king in all the rooms...I already feel worried!!:nailbiting:

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you for your questions and for the tips! I'm thinking to bring home a brother for my Bruce...my "only" problem is that I haven't a room where I can separate the new brother! Bruce is the king in all the rooms...I already feel worried!!:nailbiting:
If you aren't able to properly seperate them you could look into getting a dog crate for a large dog so would be huge for a kitten and setting that up for them so he has his own space and then doing supervised play time etc .

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Update: Lizzard still doesn't play nice. I am trying to get them to chill to maybe sit near eachother without Lizzard trying to pin him to the ground. I also can't take Clark's little squeal when he is scared. It breaks my heart. It's only been three days but I can't seem to get the bad thought out of my head that they will never be ok alone. I need some positive vibes.

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
3 days is not nearly enough time. You’re doing great! Give it 2-4 weeks!!! If there is no blood he’s really just asserting dominance, also you’re baby was far too young to leave mama so I’m sure he’s intimidated. Just give it time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Update: Lizzard still doesn't play nice. I am trying to get them to chill to maybe sit near eachother without Lizzard trying to pin him to the ground. I also can't take Clark's little squeal when he is scared. It breaks my heart. It's only been three days but I can't seem to get the bad thought out of my head that they will never be ok alone. I need some positive vibes.

Can imagine 3 days seem like a long time for you but 3 days isn't a long time for cats to get used to eachother. I know it's difficult but it's also important to let them sort it out together. Lizzard needs to make clear to Clark who's the boss. As lomg as you keep interfering Lizzards keeps trying. Of course you need to make sure that Lizzard doesn't harm Clark but a little bossing around by Lizzard and a littlequeal from Clark is normal. Big hugs for you and sending positive vibes your way

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Can imagine 3 days seem like a long time for you but 3 days isn't a long time for cats to get used to eachother. I know it's difficult but it's also important to let them sort it out together. Lizzard needs to make clear to Clark who's the boss. As lomg as you keep interfering Lizzards keeps trying. Of course you need to make sure that Lizzard doesn't harm Clark but a little bossing around by Lizzard and a littlequeal from Clark is normal. Big hugs for you and sending positive vibes your way
I love this forum. Thank you so much. I have no one around here to bounce ideas off of because they are not familiar with the breed.

Back