Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

8 month old kitten having tummy problems

JeMarieF

Lairian
My 8 month old sphynx kitten has been having diarrhea on and off for 6 days. I told the vet about it and she didn't recommend I come in because it wasn't happening for more than 24 hours at a time. I've been filtering his water, restricting his food intake, and I'm about to switch him to a food for sensitive stomachs. He's an indoor cat and in theory shouldn't have any worms or giardia. Today he pooped more liquid than I thought his body was capable of containing. What else can I do? At what point do I need to take him to the vet?

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Are you feeding him wet and dry food?

Usually members will chime in and recommended PURE pumpkin mixed in with the cats wet food DAILY as that helps firm up poo but I think you should probably take him into the vet.

Is he still drinking water?

paigeberry

Lairian
I would add some rice to his food. Maybe take him to the vet for a probiotic? Also might have some kind of allergy to his food?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

JeMarieF

Lairian
Are you feeding him wet and dry food?

Usually members will chime in and recommended PURE pumpkin mixed in with the cats wet food DAILY as that helps firm up poo but I think you should probably take him into the vet.

Is he still drinking water?

He is only eating dry food and has been fine until this point. He's still drinking water and behaving normally. The vet recommended changing his food and I planned on taking him to the vet if that didn't work.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh my, you need to be feeding you lil guy wet food!!!

They need the extra moisture to prevent crystals from blocking his bladder.
It can cause UTI's but also block there bladders causing illness and in some cases death.
Sorry to scare you but you should start feeding your lil man wet food for sure!

GoldHazel knows alot about this kind of stuff and could probably provide you with more/better information than myself.

JeMarieF

Lairian
Oh my, you need to be feeding you lil guy wet food!!!

They need the extra moisture to prevent crystals from blocking his bladder.
It can cause UTI's but also block there bladders causing illness and in some cases death.
Sorry to scare you but you should start feeding your lil man wet food for sure!

@GoldHazel knows alot about this kind of stuff and could probably provide you with more/better information than myself.

I had no idea D:
Is that for cats in general or just sphynx cats?

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I believe its for male cats in general!

Its okay neither did I until I came on this site!
My guy (hes almost one) gets half a can in the morning with dry food to graze during the day and then a half a can in the evening.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You should try the pumpkin mixed in with some wet food, or even just feed your lil guy some pumpkin on its own
but make sure when you purchase it, its pure pumpkin, and not pumpkin filling! I bet that will help his stools become more solid

178126.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@JeMarieF , i would get a vet check - you want to make sure he is not getting dehydrated.

I have a dry food addict - I have tried raw, all kinds of wet food and nope - he would rather starve than eat wet food -
He sniffs wet food amd runs away!
I adopted a male kitty who had urinary struvite crystals - it has to be addressed ASAP bcz it can block them requiring surgery or be fatal - tell tale sign is a defintely noticeable in and out of the litter box trying to pee amd little or no output - my guy went in and out 10 times in a a few minutes so off to he vet ASAP -
Meds on board and no surgery was necessary - he has been crystal Free for years -
He is also mostly a dry food addict - ** I put out several water bowls in various locations and change water 2x a day -
Some kitties prefers water bowls away from his food location they may prefer ,the other will drink next to his food dish.

It is preferred to feed wet food too - I just cannot for the life of me get them to like Any wet food.

I check the calcium phosphorus ratio of dry foods ( you can call food companies bcz it is not on the bag)
Some food companies will list the Ph level of dry foods for urinary health too

I have been feeding my dry food addicts Nutrisource cat and kitten food with solid poos , clear skin and no crystals.
Cat Food, NutriSource Cat and Kitten Chicken, Salmon, Liver

It is grain inclusive but all 4 of my sphynx thrive on it - their skin and ears actually stay less grimey too
I like their website showing profile details of their formulas

They have grain free and wet foods too
I buy at chewy online with a buy12/1 free veg program

I would defintely talk to your vet si me we cannot diagnosis here but rather pass on things we have learned to ask vets about for each individual kitty's needs.

Sending positive vibes
Just wanted to share my experience with my dry food addicts amd food they have done well on
( 3 out of 4 of my sphynx hated the pumpkin )

Please keep us updated
You can ask your vet about a poo sample check to rule out Giardia or tritrichomonas -there are two separate meds for these
Some vets will treat for Giardia amd also prescribe Flagyl ( metronidazole ) for bumm issues

Is he eating treats? People food? They can cause poo issues

Last edited:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Sorry to hear your boy, is having prblems.
I would have him checked for Guardia, Sometimes it
can be neg but, still have it.
Are you feeding him he same food as the breeder?
What kind of food? You do need to feed wet also.
You can mix a spoonful in the wet.
Vet first.. If you do change food you have to do it slowly.
1st week 1/4 New food 3/4 old
2nd week 1/2 new food 1/2 old
3rd week 3/4 New food 1/4 old
4th week change completely.
These cats are vert easy to get their stomach messed up.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Good to have you here @JeMarieF.
Do you have a pic of your boy you want to share? We just love to see pics:).

Great advive already given. It's heared more then once before that from one day to the other day all a sphynx is allergic to the food he was always eating. Lot of sphynx turn out to be allergic to chicken so if there is chicken in the dry food you could try another kind. Grain is also something some sphynxes are allergic too.

Natasja

Back