Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

8 signs your cat loves you

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
1. Grooming: If your cat licks you, it's a sign of affection, Galaxy says. After all, grooming is one of the first affectionate experiences kittens have. "Littermates, as they grow older, if they're adopted together, will groom each other for life,†Galaxy says.

2. Purring: Your cat purrs in your presence because it feels cared for by you, Galaxy explains. Because of its experiences as a kitten, your cat associates purring with a feeling of satisfaction.

3. Rubbing: To show affection to other cats, dogs and humans, your cat will rub against them, or will knead its paws on them. "When your cat puts its scent on you, it's saying something like, 'You and I belong together,,'†Galaxy says. "It's a scent compliment.â€

4. Mock Spraying: To claim you as his own, your male cat might back up toward you with a quivering tail without producing a spray — a sign he wants to mark you.

5. Gumming: In another attempt to mark you as private territory, your cat might rub its gums on you, again blending its scent with yours.

6. Blinking: When your cat catches your eye from across the room and slowly blinks, return the gesture. "It's actually a sign of trust, like showing you its belly,†Galaxy says. "It's a form of communication I know works. Do it a few times with your own cat. It will begin returning it to you.â€

7. Gifting: A favorite toy dropped at your feet or a dead mouse left on your doorstep signify your cat's trust in you, Galaxy says. "When a cat brings a dead mouse home, it's saying, 'I bring this thing to my safe place,'†Galaxy explains. "It's more a demonstration that your cat feels supremely safe in the home you share.â€

8. Rolling: If your cat rolls around on the ground in front of you it means he
is comfortable and ready to play! Now we all know that cats
don't just play with anyone...so if he rolls...you must be special!

When your cat shows these signs of affection, you should return the favor. That way, your cat will know you feel the same way.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Last edited by a moderator:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is interesting. ButterBall does all those things to one extent or the other. He seldom does the rolling behavior but does the other behaviors daily. When Ball wants to play he just attacks my feet. He does it in a friendly way. Claws retracted.

I must say, the mock spraying, blinking and gifting are news to me. Can't wait to try the blinking thing with Ball. He always looks at me with his wrinkled blinking eyes. I just thought he was tired.

Brooke

Banned
This is cool! Walter does everything on the list - especially the rolling. Everytime I stop and look at him if he's on the floor, he drops and starts writhing around on his back.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I thought it was a good article & interesting...Krazy Kramer does it all...Every moring he jumps in my lap & hits my lips its really weird & proceeds to rub his face against my lips, if i do not sit where he can reach me he screams! Kramer does the feet thing ALL the time too!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thats funny brooke! Good find! I remember some one telling me that when your animals are staring at you ,which we all find them doing ,there not looking at you because they love you, they are waiting for you to die so they can eat you!:tinysmile_eyebrow_t
LOL

sphynx22

Lairian
Thats funny mines the same all the above list, but could you tell me what dripping saliva means with a purr so loud. He drips from the mouth down his chin and all over me. He rubs my face with his from side to side.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair sphynx22,
I hope you enjoy your stay here!
Good question, my female does the same thing, Im guessing its another form of "marking their territory"? Let's see what the other members come up with!:tinysmile_aha_t:
Thanks for joining our community!

Brooke

Banned
My sphynx doesn't do that, but I have 5 stray cats that live outside of my office. They were all feral and kept having more and more babies so a bunch of us put our money together and had them all neutered. 3 years later, and they are all fat and happy and super friendly.

One of them drools all over the place when he's being petted. He'll climb up on my lap and literally leave a puddle on me! I think it just means they're really, really happy!

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It's kinda funny cause all three of my kitties do all 8 things to me, but they don't do them with my husband. He get's so gealous lol!

sphynx22

Lairian
Hi and thankyou for the warm welcome everyone. This site seems so friendly and happy. Yes i think its affection to the extreme, as you quoted above there are puddles of saliva. I took him to a show and everyone commented on his love for me, but one person said he would probably stop when he becomes adult. Does anyone think this would happen as i love him doing this.

Brooke

Banned
Sphynx22, the cats I know that drool when they're happy are 3 years old - so no worries, he will probably keep on drooling! I think its so funny when they drool...

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
sphynx22 my old cat Midnight used to drool big puddles. I actually took him to the vet when he was a kitten and asked the vet if he was broken :tinysmile_shy_t: In my defense I was young and thought cats had dry mouths. He drooled his whole life, but when he got older he was diagnosised with an over active salivary gland. It was operable, but since he had formed cancer at the same time he did end up passing away. My vet doesn't think he got the cancer from the salivary gland, but we will never know. Luckily when the salivary gland becomes infected it will be visible. Midnights started as a small bump the size of a pea at the back base of his jaw. More then likely your baby won't have that same problem, but now that I know what to look for I like to let others know from what I learned since cats are so good at hiding things when they don't feel so good.

Back