Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

9months old sphynx with Diarrhea

Betsy legg

Lairian
My 9 month old sphynx Frank has had diarrhea for the last 2 weeks, I have taken him to the vets and they diagnosed as chronic diarrhea and gave me Meds to give him daily for 5 days. He finished these meds 2 days ago and did seem to be getting better for all of about a day as I was tracking his faeces and they looked slightly hard however the next day we were back to square one. His behaviour is a lot more naughty and mischievous as usual, his third eye is still showing and the diarrhea is more like water now than anything, I can see his butt is sore, when picking him up he meows as if I am hurting him and he just doesn’t seem himself. I have 2 furry cats and frank often gets into their wet food (whiskers), I’m wondering if this could be the cause of his problem as this food is for 7+ years and he is only 9 months. If anyone has had a similar issue or may know anything that could help (changing up his food etc I currently feed him whiskers wet food for kittens 1 pouch a day and then 2 lots of whiskers dry food for kittens) please let me know as I am desperate and with coronavirus pandemic going on the vets are reluctant to see him unless it is a real emergency. Thanks in advance!

Sheldon13

Staff member
It could be as simple as a food allergy. Look at what proteins you are feeding now and pick something different, like rabbit or duck. Make sure he doesn’t get into the other kitties food.

Watch his hydration level. If his skin tents when you pull it up then he is dehydrated and needs fluids from the vet ASAP (yes, an emergency)

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Betsy legg

Lairian
It could be as simple as a food allergy. Look at what proteins you are feeding now and pick something different, like rabbit or duck. Make sure he doesn’t get into the other kitties food.

Watch his hydration level. If his skin tents when you pull it up then he is dehydrated and needs fluids from the vet ASAP (yes, an emergency)

Thank you, I will get him some new food and Keep him out of the other cats food and see how he gets on!

Thank you for the advice!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Your best bet is raw food. Here is a recent thread:

Here is another one:
“Poopy butt”

I'm not sure if you would be willing to feed raw but if not, I would still switch the food because it almost certainly is a food issue.

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
hugs n positive vibes for Frank. what did vet say about third eye ? so sorry you and sweet Frank going thru this. following for updates,

Betsy legg

Lairian
hugs n positive vibes for Frank. what did vet say about third eye ? so sorry you and sweet Frank going thru this. following for updates,
The vet said due to the diarrhea he hasn’t been getting nutrients from his food so his body started taking fat from Behind his eyes which caused his eyes to sink back slightly making the third eye more noticeable! Sounds frightening but apparently is quite normal when cats suffer from diarrhea!

Betsy legg

Lairian
Did they say anything about the cause of the diarrhea?

No, they just said it was chronic diarrhea but he would get better with the meds provided. I should have asked more questions really but I wasn’t even allowed into the vets I had to wait outside due to coronavirus and the precautions everyone is taking so I only spoke with him briefly when he came out to give frank back to me. I have started to switch up his diet and he seems to have his Appetite back and his personality is back! so fingers crossed he is on the road to recovery I will keep an eye on him over the coming days if he doesn’t keep improving I will call the vets and ask that they run tests do they know exactly what is causing this. Thanks for all of your help!

Notsofluffy

Lairian
We were giving Hills Science kitten to our baby and he always had stinky more wet poops and then out of no where just had two days of straight 4x a day diarrhoea.
We went back to basics and started feeding beef or turkey mince with livers and hearts and added one sachet of the hills kitten food per day (dived by the three meals) plus let him continue to graze all day at his kitten dry food... it completely stopped the diarrhoea straight away and his poops are now far more tolerable, less runny and he seems far more comfortable and happy.
Definitely adding raw helped 100 fold. I would say definitely treat it as a good allergy first off and see if that helps :)

AmarasDaddy

Lairian
Hi! When I first got my little Amara she had really bad diharrhea so I put her on Hills Digestive Food (chicken) & some pro biotics. It cleaned up after a few days now I save some just for an emergency.

Hope this helps!

Frosty sphynx

Lairian
My 9 month old sphynx Frank has had diarrhea for the last 2 weeks, I have taken him to the vets and they diagnosed as chronic diarrhea and gave me Meds to give him daily for 5 days. He finished these meds 2 days ago and did seem to be getting better for all of about a day as I was tracking his faeces and they looked slightly hard however the next day we were back to square one. His behaviour is a lot more naughty and mischievous as usual, his third eye is still showing and the diarrhea is more like water now than anything, I can see his butt is sore, when picking him up he meows as if I am hurting him and he just doesn’t seem himself. I have 2 furry cats and frank often gets into their wet food (whiskers), I’m wondering if this could be the cause of his problem as this food is for 7+ years and he is only 9 months. If anyone has had a similar issue or may know anything that could help (changing up his food etc I currently feed him whiskers wet food for kittens 1 pouch a day and then 2 lots of whiskers dry food for kittens) please let me know as I am desperate and with coronavirus pandemic going on the vets are reluctant to see him unless it is a real emergency. Thanks in advance!
A tip for the sore bum is to take a q-tip with either Aquaphor or bacitracin and put a thin layer over his bum and try and keep it clean (so when he poops wipe it clean gently and then add another layer of Aquaphor). I Would definitely try switching foods as he could just have a sensitive stomach. My vet told me its never a bad thing to put a cat on sensitive food (even if they end up not being sensitive in general) My Sara is on a sensitive food by science diet (Literally only food that has worked.) Sometimes she gets tummy flare-ups but otherwise, she doesn't throw up or anything with it!

Once the vet is a bit more open, if you are still having minor problems (like the poop has hardened a bit, doesn't have a sore tummy but poops are still a bit wet) then it wouldn't hurt to get him tested for allergies to different food ingredients.
I would say though if this keeps going on to take him back in as you don't want him to get dehydrated!

oolahappi

Lairian

I had the same issue with my boy. He had very soft stool. I experimented by changing foods and switched him to a predominantly fish and rabbit diet and the problem resolved. I since told my vet about the issue because it's difficult to find dry food without chicken...even wet foods that say shrimp and tuna end up having chicken. They suggested a hydrolyzed diet. They said chicken and beef proteins are common allergens.

sphynxjinx

Lairian

i second the comment on watching out for dehydration, the little guy might need iv fluids worst case. also maybe probiotics? flora is a probiotic that u can sprinkle into their food and it can help with diarrhea

Back