Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

A little concerned ...

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
One of my furry-babies, Zeke, had me a little worried yesterday. Shortly after dinner I noticed he was laying on the floor (not unusual), starting at me and breathing really fast. I called him and he responded with a blink and an ear-flick (he usual response when he can't be bothered to come over to me), but he just had an ... odd ... look on his face.

I went over and sat down with him and could tell his breathing was off. Much faster and slightly shallower (with the occasional really deep breath) than usual. He responded to my touch, not purring, but leaning into my hand and allowing nose rubs (nose was moist and cool, ears were usual body temp).

He came back into the living room with me and settled down on the floor on his blanket, but he was obviously in a bit of discomfort. Shifting around and looking annoyed. Still breathing fast. I spent a good 5 minutes going all over him, prodding his tummy/abdomen (nice and soft and it didn't hurt him at all), his ribs and chest (no issue) and even down in his groin area (aside from really annoying him, there was no indication of anything sore).

He didn't want food (not even shrimp, his biggest weakness). He did sit up and groom for a couple of minutes, then laid back down and shifted around until he dozed off.

I watched him for the rest of the night. The breathing became slightly less rapid and he lost that look of obvious discomfort. He got up around 9 pm and went for some food - ate a decent amount, then back to his blanket and curled up. Breathing still not normal, but not as disturbing as earlier.

This morning he was upstairs waiting on the landing for breakfast. He followed by BF downstairs and had a good breakfast. We both noted that his personality was pretty much back to normal, but the breathing was still slightly more rapid than usual.

I'm at work, fretting and worrying ... Anyone have any thoughts as to why this happened?

Just some facts: He is almost 7 years old. He is half maine coon. He is overweight by about 5 lbs (weighs 23 lbs and is a HUGE cat length and height wise). His litter mate and brother (Hyde) was diagnosed with a very slightly enlarged heart earlier this year but it hasn't been an issue at all.

A.G.

tessblack

Banned
I don't know what this would be but I would probably take him to the vet and get it checked. I am a bit on the paranoid side but I am sure you will get some good answers here.
Hope all is well and keep us informed.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but if his breathing is still "off", I would call and see if you could have him seen by the vet today. Please keep us posted. I hope Zeke is feeling 100% himself soon.

gizmo6370

Banned
Just some facts: He is almost 7 years old. He is half maine coon. He is overweight by about 5 lbs (weighs 23 lbs and is a HUGE cat length and height wise). His litter mate and brother (Hyde) was diagnosed with a very slightly enlarged heart earlier this year but it hasn't been an issue at all.

I would go and see a vet...hcm is also a problem in the maine coon breed....if one of the parents does have hcm....50% of the litter has a chance on developing hcm....

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
Thank you all for your suggestions. But it's too late. I had an appointment for him for 5:30. Got home at 3:00 pm and he was gone. I had even come home at 11 am to check on him and he seemed fine. The rapid breathing wasn't as bad.

I'm numb. My beautiful boy is gone. He has been there for me for so much and given me so much love and sunshine.

I'm broken. I should have taken him to the Emergency vets last night but money held me back. My boy. My beautiful boy.

Gizzymom

Banned
OMG...... I am SOOOOO sorry for your loss. Just reading your email made me start crying... You cannot blame yourself, though... It was just his time. These precious little creatures are only on loan to us... and no matter how hard it is, we eventually have to let them go. Just make sure you hug your other 2 babies extra tight and eventually they will bring you peace.

My thoughts and prayers are with you... Rest in peace, Zeke. You will be missed.
:Cry:

Shauntay

Banned
I am so sorry for your loss, and reading your post has broken my heart even more as I know I will be in your position soon with my little boy. With such an excellerated progression of what I think must be a heart condition (given his littermate's diagnosis) there are good chances a vet could not have helped at that stage regardless if you got him in sooner. As others have said, let your baldies' love and cuddles help you through this hard time.

susi794

Staff member
Don't you dare blame yourself....not for anything. The sad reality of life is that we all have to worry about money (unless we are lucky enough to be independently wealthy). There is no shame or blame in having to live within our means. Sometimes the money just isn't there. Zeke knew he was loved and you have nothing to feel guilty about. We all do the best that we can for our animals and that's all anyone can ever expect, isn't it? Bless you for loving him, and may he rest in peace.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

holly_savage

Banned
I am so sorry AmazonGodess...as others have said, you should not blame yourself. It sounds like he was pretty far gone and I can't imagine any emergency vet visit would have saved him.

You shared love for many years, take comfort in the wonderful memories.

Hugs from Holly, Greg, Hibou and Kokka

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
AmazonGoddess you loved Zeke with all your heart, and gave him a happy and healthy home. All the money and emergency care in the world most likely wouldn't have prevented Zeke's death. Sudden death of a loved one is a heartwrenching experience to have to face. Please remember to treat yourself with the same comforting support you would show any of us if we had been in your shoes today.

I am so sorry to hear about your Zeke's passing. As other's have said, there was more than likely nothing an emergency vet could have done. You did what you could do and that was to be a loving momma to him and to give him a wonderful, happy home. Cuddle up your babies -they know when you need them.

Hugs and Purrs,

Kris, Gable and Amaryllis

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Oh I am so sorry AmazonGoddess...its so hard to lose our beloved pets. My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to you during this hard time.

Back