A little help please.... | Sphynxlair

A little help please....

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Health & Nutrition' started by Jade Rose, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Jade Rose

Jade RoseLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $218.42
    Ratings:
    +15
    I today found out that my little man, Pluto, has the herpes virus/sneezing virus.

I was told by the breeder that he had a little cold at 8 weeks but that it was nothing to worry about and that a lot of kittens can pick up a cold. I therefore didn’t think twice about it.

I picked up Pluto on Sunday and he fell ill today, shivering and sneezing. I took him to the vet asap and was told he had the sneezing virus/herpes virus. I called the owner to tell him this news and he has told me that he will take him back :(

I’m not sure what to do. I love him so much but I’m concerned that he may get worse over time and/or my partners cat will catch this virus. I feel so sorry for my kitten either way, poor little guy.

Does anyone else’s sphynx have this virus and has it affected your sphynx much? Is it something to be concerned about?

Also, I was told by the vet today that Pluto only has one testical that has come through and that when I get him fixed at 6-months that this may require a bigger operation to see where the other testical is, if it’s somewhere it shouldn’t be. Again, has anyone else experienced this with their sphynx and is it something to be concerned about?

Thank you so much.

Jade Rose

• Hugs Hugs x 1

• Traci Smith

Traci SmithLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $5,066.16
      Ratings:
      +446
      It’s a very common thing! A large percentage of cats have herpes. The kitten stage they are more prone to watery eyes and the sneezes but l-lysine and time it subsides that has been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
      • Yoda mom

Yoda momModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
        $88,465.64
        Ratings:
        +9,913
        • Red Sphynx
        • Pink Sphynx
        • Black Sphynx
        ((Hugs)) and head smooches
        Many of us have had our babies go theu the sneezes etc when newly home -
        I was told by my vet my boy had a probably herpes related eye issue.
        He was prescribed meds and is just fine . My other kitties show no signs .
        I a,cont sure how long it takes to share / transmit viruses cat to cat -
        You can ask the vet

@Toa and Ross may be able to share some helpful info
        As well as other members thst will chime in -

I have no experience with the unilateral cryptorchidism except ehat I have read online .
        Always best tot discuss an individual kitties circumstances with the treating vet .
        I am sure other members will chime in -
        I would suggest a discussion with breeder and vet to make the best informed decision .

Pluto is a sweetie
        Will be following closely for updates
        Nice the breeder offered to take back the kitty -
        Persomaly I kept mine and started a slush fund just in case.
        Not sure if there are partial refunds etc in contracts?

Head smooches and Positve vibes sent
        Laid the vet prescribe medication for his sneezes ?
        Did the vet give a good listen to Plutos heart for any murmurs ?
        Thst too an change office visit to the next - some have ghost murmurs thst disappear with age or present with possible murmurs just from the stress of office visits .
        Whenever mine go to the vet I always specifically ask to listen for heart murmurs amd to let ,e know their subjective grade #
        My boy had a grade 3

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
        • Like Like x 3
        • Jade Rose

Jade RoseLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
          $218.42
          Ratings:
          +15
          Thank you. Yes I got medication and was told no heart problems. It’s just very upsettting. The breeder was clearly upset also and offered me part refund but I’m not sure I want to give him back. I need to sit on this for a while. Thanks for your help x

• Like Like x 1
          • Hugs Hugs x 1
          • Catzzzmeow

CatzzzmeowModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
            $424,631.46
            Ratings:
            +32,174
            • Scary sphynx
          • Bailey21

Bailey21Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
            $378.24
            Ratings:
            +631
            • Pink Sphynx
            • Black Sphynx
            • Blue Sphynx
            • Xmas sphynx
            • Yellow Sphynx
            When we brought our boy home it was dead winter, as well as in the middle of a crazy snow storm (go figure). The breeder told me that he may catch a cold from the trip home. He definitely already had a cold before we ever brought him, he sneezed multiple times a day, and was always thick green boogers. The vet prescribed us antibiotics, and they also told us that they believed him to have the herpes virus (I think he was just sick). Once his antibiotics were finished there were no more green icky stuff and sneezing also stopped. I mix l-lysine in his raw food daily, and I haven't heard him sneeze since, and he's 9 months old this month!

Personally my opinion since you're already bonded to your sweet boy would be to wait it out and see how it goes. My boy stopped sneezing after 2 weeks, and we have multiple kitties in our house hold, none of which shave symptoms of the herpes virus.

I also used to work in a vet office, and a lot of the times with young animals the testicle would drop later once they matured some more. The second could drop anytime from now until its time from his surgery. Sending hugs your way during this hard decision! :kiss:

• Like Like x 1
            • Catzzzmeow

CatzzzmeowModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
              $424,631.46
              Ratings:
              +32,174
              • Scary sphynx