Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

A little help please....

Jade Rose

Lairian
I today found out that my little man, Pluto, has the herpes virus/sneezing virus.

I was told by the breeder that he had a little cold at 8 weeks but that it was nothing to worry about and that a lot of kittens can pick up a cold. I therefore didn’t think twice about it.

I picked up Pluto on Sunday and he fell ill today, shivering and sneezing. I took him to the vet asap and was told he had the sneezing virus/herpes virus. I called the owner to tell him this news and he has told me that he will take him back :(

I’m not sure what to do. I love him so much but I’m concerned that he may get worse over time and/or my partners cat will catch this virus. I feel so sorry for my kitten either way, poor little guy.

Does anyone else’s sphynx have this virus and has it affected your sphynx much? Is it something to be concerned about?

Also, I was told by the vet today that Pluto only has one testical that has come through and that when I get him fixed at 6-months that this may require a bigger operation to see where the other testical is, if it’s somewhere it shouldn’t be. Again, has anyone else experienced this with their sphynx and is it something to be concerned about?

Thank you so much.

Jade Rose

Traci Smith

Lairian
It’s a very common thing! A large percentage of cats have herpes. The kitten stage they are more prone to watery eyes and the sneezes but l-lysine and time it subsides that has been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
((Hugs)) and head smooches
Many of us have had our babies go theu the sneezes etc when newly home -
I was told by my vet my boy had a probably herpes related eye issue.
He was prescribed meds and is just fine . My other kitties show no signs .
I a,cont sure how long it takes to share / transmit viruses cat to cat -
You can ask the vet

@Toa and Ross may be able to share some helpful info
As well as other members thst will chime in -

I have no experience with the unilateral cryptorchidism except ehat I have read online .
Always best tot discuss an individual kitties circumstances with the treating vet .
I am sure other members will chime in -
I would suggest a discussion with breeder and vet to make the best informed decision .

Pluto is a sweetie
Will be following closely for updates
Nice the breeder offered to take back the kitty -
Persomaly I kept mine and started a slush fund just in case.
Not sure if there are partial refunds etc in contracts?

Head smooches and Positve vibes sent
Laid the vet prescribe medication for his sneezes ?
Did the vet give a good listen to Plutos heart for any murmurs ?
Thst too an change office visit to the next - some have ghost murmurs thst disappear with age or present with possible murmurs just from the stress of office visits .
Whenever mine go to the vet I always specifically ask to listen for heart murmurs amd to let ,e know their subjective grade #
My boy had a grade 3

Last edited:

Jade Rose

Lairian
((Hugs)) and head smooches
Many of us have had our babies go theu the sneezes etc when newly home -
I was told by my vet my boy had a probably herpes related eye issue.
He was prescribed meds and is just fine . My other kitties show no signs .
I a,cont sure how long it takes to share / transmit viruses cat to cat -
You can ask the vet

@Toa and Ross may be able to share some helpful info
As well as other members thst will chime in -

I have no experience with the unilateral cryptorchidism except ehat I have read online .
Always best tot discuss an individual kitties circumstances with the treating vet .
I am sure other members will chime in -
I would suggest a discussion with breeder and vet to make the best informed decision .

Pluto is a sweetie
Will be following closely for updates
Nice the breeder offered to take back the kitty -
Persomaly I kept mine and started a slush fund just in case.
Not sure if there are partial refunds etc in contracts?

Head smooches and Positve vibes sent
Laid the vet prescribe medication for his sneezes ?
Did the vet give a good listen to Plutos heart for any murmurs ?
Thst too an change office visit to the next - some have ghost murmurs thst disappear with age or present with possible murmurs just from the stress of office visits .
Whenever mine go to the vet I always specifically ask to listen for heart murmurs amd to let ,e know their subjective grade #
My boy had a grade 3
Thank you. Yes I got medication and was told no heart problems. It’s just very upsettting. The breeder was clearly upset also and offered me part refund but I’m not sure I want to give him back. I need to sit on this for a while. Thanks for your help x

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When we brought our boy home it was dead winter, as well as in the middle of a crazy snow storm (go figure). The breeder told me that he may catch a cold from the trip home. He definitely already had a cold before we ever brought him, he sneezed multiple times a day, and was always thick green boogers. The vet prescribed us antibiotics, and they also told us that they believed him to have the herpes virus (I think he was just sick). Once his antibiotics were finished there were no more green icky stuff and sneezing also stopped. I mix l-lysine in his raw food daily, and I haven't heard him sneeze since, and he's 9 months old this month!

Personally my opinion since you're already bonded to your sweet boy would be to wait it out and see how it goes. My boy stopped sneezing after 2 weeks, and we have multiple kitties in our house hold, none of which shave symptoms of the herpes virus.

I also used to work in a vet office, and a lot of the times with young animals the testicle would drop later once they matured some more. The second could drop anytime from now until its time from his surgery. Sending hugs your way during this hard decision! :kiss:

Jade Rose

Lairian
Hello all,

Thank you for all your lovely messages.

I’ve been quiet for a while because I found it to be a really tough decision to make.

I did, after many tears and cuddles, decide to give the little guy back to the breeder and accepted his refund, which I found very difficult and emotional indeed.

It’s really amazing how attached you become after only a few days of love (+2 months of waiting for him to arrive).

I spoke extensively to my vet about the situation + found out some news about the breeder which I wasn’t very happy about and worried about the future health of Pluto and whether I was capable of and willing to look after him if it turned out he had bigger complications and therefore made my decision via this :(

I now pray that Pluto finds a really beautiful home that can look after him; and I pray that the breeder informs his future owners of his complications prior to them buying him and taking him home so that they can make an informed decision that is best for them and for Pluto, without having to go through any heartbreak.

Unfortunately, our resident cat has come down with calicivirus and is still not very well ☹️

On a brighter note, I am now looking in to healthy, responsible breeders and really hope that I can adopt a healthy sphynx in the near future that I can look after and love for life.

I understand that there is, of course, a risk that a new sphynx could also become sick in the future with herpes or something else (especially now our resident cat has the virus)... as with all animals and humans, these risks are there. And this would be ok, no problem with me if this happened, I would look after him and love him regardless; yet, when I’m in a position of only having Pluto for 5-days + been offered a refund by the breeder (which is unusual) + having found out (but not told by the breeder) that he was very ill as a newborn, on a drip; and that all their kings and queens have outbreaks of the virus, yet the breeder continues to breed them knowing this (concerns then arise here for me about HCM and other serious conditions), then I have to make my decision from this standpoint.

I’ve really learnt that it’s so important to research breeders and to make sure that their cats are living in a healthy, clean and responsible environment, having had all the necessary health checks and jabs, and that the breeders aren’t just breeding cats for money (very expensive cats also - €1,200 I paid), yet they are doing it because they are genuinely passionate about this wonderful breed, and really love and care for them.

There are too many cats (although not Sphynx’s) in rescue centres not having homes to go to, so when making a choice to buy a cat from a breeder, where a lot of money is being spent for a healthy cat, it’s really got to be taken with care and attention. And for this I take full responsibility for the position I was in, having not done my research properly.

I’m now in a position of taking some steps to report the breeder to RSPCA (or equivalent) as it’s really not fair for the animals not their owners.

Thanks for your time in reading this.

Back