Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

A little too active

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Dunkin was a little too energetic today and ran right into a glass piece. I distracted the cats with some toys while I cleaned up the glass but I'm worried about this happening again. We have a lot of breakable items and the cats aren't supposed to be on tables and counters but Dunkin runs around and climbs on everything. Any advice for keeping a kitten off tables and away from glass?
13231271_10154251933427853_1837976757_n.jpg

Attachments

• 13231271_10154251933427853_1837976757_n.jpg
    13231271_10154251933427853_1837976757_n.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 14

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Totally agree with @SphynxKid Our biggest offender has been our Bengal he is now 20 and did not slow down until he was 16. Some cats are crazy and kittens are the craziest! For the time being make your home kitten safe and then as they approach a year old or after spay/neutering it is a good time to reassess their activity level and then you can decide if it is safe to bring some things out again. Here is a list that might help you in safe proofing your home. Dangerous household items for your Sphynx Cat

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@BusterTheCat I had furry SHD cats my entire life and I never had to put breakables away, etc. They were never allowed on the tables or the counters, etc. I even had many birds in separate cages and never had an issue.
Those cats lived in "my home"!

Nowadays I have only sphynx cats. I live in "their home"! I have had to redecorate so to speak in order to accommodate their needs as they are all over the place. I have allowed them on my kitchen island and the kitchen table because some of them eat up there because the dogs love to eat cat food. I do not allow them on the sink counter which connects to the range top. Yes, of course, they go up there, BUT never when I am around. How do I know they go up there? I see paw prints on my range top all the time! LOL

When I am preparing a lot of food and cooking, I automatically bring them all upstairs to my bedroom. Everything is their business and when I have the cutting board out, I will do everything in my power to not cut or poke my nakeds with a knife....and as a result, I will probably cut a finger off, so that's why I always bring them up to my room during those times.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Glad to hear nothing serious happened. My boy Toa is the same. He is enthustiastic and doesn't look werehe jumps or runs. I learned to make sure to put all breakable items away.

Ooooh this is too funny. While I'm writing this, Toa jumps on my desk and throws an breakable piece I just got as a present on the ground in a hunderd of pieces. So I didn't say a thing about putting breakable things away:)

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The few things I have are all secured with plexiglass covers on the cubby holes they are in.
15 years of sphynx and would rather have my cat than stuff.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The list of things that Cleopatra has broken is really long and includes an irreplaceable ceramic jewelry box and an irreplaceable teapot that was an anniversary gift to my husband. Our furry cats did break some things, including a ceramic doll that I had made, but not on the scale as Cleopatra. Now our teapot collection resides with other collectable ceramics in the top of our bedroom closet (the only place in the house Cleo and Marcus cannot get onto). My handspun yarns and unspun fibers live in plastic bags sealed in plastic tubs, after Cleo ate 32 inches of yarn, resulting in a $4000.00 surgery to remove it. I do have some spinning wheels and drop spindles out, but both cats are older now, and I have to be really vigilante about keeping them away from the breakables.

It is easiest to just put everything out of their reach until they are at least 8-10 years old. (Or in the case of @Catzzzmeow, until they are 20 years old...:p)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Glad to hear nothing serious happened. My boy Toa is the same. He is enthustiastic and doesn't look werehe jumps or runs. I learned to make sure to put all breakable items away.

Ooooh this is too funny. While I'm writing this, Toa jumps on my desk and throws an breakable piece I just got as a present on the ground in a hunderd of pieces. So I didn't say a thing about putting breakable things away:)

Oh boy... I think Toa really has been hanging out with Min.

Max truly is a "good boy". He's elegant, sure footed, graceful, and knows where he should NOT be.

Min is all over. Personal space means nothing to her, and everything is HERS to do with as she wishes. She doesn't even react to the sound of CANNED AIR being released!!! Last night she was being incredibly naughty and I did something I had never done before -- I picked her up, held her by the scruff and bottom and bit her ear (not hard... but definitely discipline). All she did was curl up and not make a peep. Minutes later she curled up next to me and purred. sigh.

So bottom line -- if the kitty shows signs of destruction, (and here is Min now LOL), we need to adapt our environment.

Good luck and hugs. Dunkin is a cutie, by the way.

Toa and Ross

Staff member

Oh boy... I think Toa really has been hanging out with Min.

Max truly is a "good boy". He's elegant, sure footed, graceful, and knows where he should NOT be.

Min is all over. Personal space means nothing to her, and everything is HERS to do with as she wishes. She doesn't even react to the sound of CANNED AIR being released!!! Last night she was being incredibly naughty and I did something I had never done before -- I picked her up, held her by the scruff and bottom and bit her ear (not hard... but definitely discipline). All she did was curl up and not make a peep. Minutes later she curled up next to me and purred. sigh.

So bottom line -- if the kitty shows signs of destruction, (and here is Min now LOL), we need to adapt our environment.

Good luck and hugs. Dunkin is a cutie, by the way.

Haha Toa learned Min that canned air is just that: canned air:).

Back